Bio: Engel, John M., Pastor (1932)
Contact: R. Lipprandt
Surnames: Engel, Nyre
----Source: The Centennial Booklet of Immanuel Ev. Lutheran Church, 1876 - 1976, page 42
Engel, John M. (July 13, 1932)
“Sons Of The Congregation Who Entered The Ministry”
John M. Engel, son of the late Rev. A. J. Engel and his wife, Laura was born at Portage, Wisconsin, on July 13, 1932.
He came to Medford with his parents, when his father became pastor of Immanuel in 1948.
He received his education in preparing for the ministry at Northwestern Preparatory School at Watertown, graduating in 1950.
He then graduated from Bethany Lutheran College in Mankato, Minnesota in 1955.
One year of Seminary training was spent as vicar at St. Paul’s Ev. Lutheran Church in Arlington, Minnesota.
He then graduated from Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wisconsin in 1959.
Upon graduating from the Seminary, he was assigned as an assistant instructor at Dr. Martin Luther College, in New Ulm, Minnesota.
He was ordained and installed as pastor of Grace and Peace Ev. Lutheran congregations in Burke and Carlock, S.D., on July 17, 1960 by his father, Rev. A. J. Engel. He served those congregations for a period of nine and one-half years.
In November of 1969, he accepted the call as District Missionary for the Dakota-Montana District of the Wisconsin Ev. Lutheran Synod.
On December 7, 1969, he was commissioned as District Missionary at Pierre, S.D. While in this service, he also founded the congregations in Pierre, Yankton and Huron, all in South Dakota.
In July 1969, he was transferred to Canada, where he is presently conducting exploratory work in Mill Woods, which is a recent annexation to the City of Edmonton, Alberta, where he and his family are residing.
Pastor Engel is married to Norma Nyre of Mondovi, Wisconsin and their marriage has been blessed with three children.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs