Church: Medford Community UCC

Contact: R. Lipprandt

Surnames: Bartsch, Bizer, Conrad, Diedrich, Evans, Hoffmann, Jeide, Jung, Kalwitz, Kehle, Kollath, Kuenne, Mischler, Moser, Neuendorf, Pauloweit, Petzold, Pohlie, Roeber, Ruesch, Theus, Zimmerli

----Source: Medford Area Centennial Book, 1874 - 1974, Medford Community United Church of Christ, pages 75 & 77

1901 - The Community Church was organized and was at that time called the German Evangelical Church. Its first pastor was the Rev. L. Kehle, who came to Medford in February of that year.

In the beginning, Worship services were held at the Temperance Hall. After three months, the membership totaled fifty. Before the end of the year, the membership grew to ninety in number.

Charter members of the church were: Carl Bartsch, Phil Conrad, John Diedrich, Carl Jung, Erich Kuenne, Kunno Kuenne, Osmar Kuenne, Wilhelma Kuenne, John Mischler, Frederick Moser, Carl Neuendorf, Rud. Pohlie, August Roeber, Frederick Ruesch, John Theus and Frieda Zimmerli.

1902 - A lot was purchased on Broadway for eight-hundred dollars and the congregation proceeded to build a Church. The Church was dedicated in 1902 while construction was still going on. Services were held in the basement until the summer of 1903.

1906 - Reverend Kehle accepted a call to another Church.

1906 through 1913 - Reverend John Bizer served the Medford Church while still serving the Church at Colby.

1913 through 1930 - Reverend Bizer moved to Medford and resigned because of ill health in 1930.

1930 through 1936 - Reverend J. Kalwitz served the church. In 1934, the Evangelical Churches were merged with the Reformed Churches on the National level and thus became known as the Evangelical and Reformed Church.

1936 through 1942 - Reverend J. J. Hoffmann served the church until his untimely death in 1942.

1942 through 1946 - Reverend G. E. Pauloweit served the church until his resignation due to ill health.

1946 through 1964 - Reverend Fred Kollath served the church until his untimely death in March of 1964. During his pastorate, a new addition consisting of Sunday school rooms and Narthex was built in the front of the Church in 1957. Two rooms were also added to the back of the Church two or thee years previously. The old parsonage was torn down in 1962 and the new parsonage began, completed in 1963.

Informal conversation about the desirability of united the Congregational Christian Churches and the Evangelical and Reformed Churches began on March 18, 1941, at Columbus, Ohio. After many conferences between representatives from each group, A Basis for Union was adopted in 1958. The union took place in 1957 at Cleveland, and the constitution was adopted in 1961 at Philadelphia. It was during this year that Community Church became a part of the United Church of Christ.

1964 through 1966 - Reverend Hugh Evans served the church.

1967 through 1970 - Reverend Joseph Jeide served the church.

1970 to present - Reverend Milton G. Petzold serves the church.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel