News: Withee – Library in
Existence since 1920
Surnames: Nielsen, Tufts, Christensen, Mailand, Andreasen, Segerstrom, Copper, Paulsen, Makkonen, Ciokiewicz, Mueller, Kostick, Tiling, Johnson, Wingler, Cooley, Kimpel
---------Source: Withee Centennial (Owen, Clark County, Wis.) 2001
The Community of Withee can be proud of its Library, which has been in existence since 1920, when a group of women affiliated with the Red Cross, honored the veterans of World War I by dedicating Withee's first library to their memory. Armed with about $165.00 which had been raised for activities on behalf of the veterans, these women launched the library and paid for a memorial plaque, inscribed with the names of Withee area war veterans, which remains mounted on a concrete block in Withee Lions Park.
To raise funds to continue this worthy effort, a home talent play was presented in what was then Dana Hall. A generous outpouring of support from the community furthered the cause of the Library, which was housed over the first State Bank of Withee. Mrs. Glyde Nielsen served as the first librarian. The library moved downstairs when the bank moved to its second location in 1924, across Division Street. Withee Bank President, William Tufts, contributed shelving and furnishings. Later the Village Board helped with rental payments and book purchases.
The first books of the library were donated by: W.C. Tufts, Dr. C.S. Nielsen, J.N. Christensen and E.E. Nielsen. Most books cost from 28 cents to $ 1.35 in hard cover form. Early librarians received a salary of $ 17.50 a month which included cleaning the library and starting the fire early to heat the library.
Library Directors that have served were: Glyde Nielsen, 1922-1923; Harriet Tufts, 1923-1935; Helvina Mailand, 1936-1940; Ruth Nielsen, 1940-1941; Mrs. Theodore Albert, 1941-1943; Thyra Andreasen, 1944-1965; Helen Segerstrom, 1965-1967; Scotch Copper, 1967-1970; Laura Paulsen, 1970- 1972; Verna Makkonen, 1972-1977; Patricia Ciokiewicz, 1977; Gina Mueller, 1977-1979; Marie Kostick, 1979-1990; Carla Tiling, 1990-1993; Patty Johnson, 1993-1996; Anne Wingler, 1996-1998; Lori Cooley, 1999-2000; and presently Crescent Kimpel.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs