Bio: Ulrich, William (1881)

Contact: crystal@wiclarkcountyhistory.org

Surnames: Ulrich, Randall, Fraermuth, Leonard, Parker

----Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (Eau Claire County, Wis.) 1881, page 335

WILLIAM ULRICH, Eau Claire, was born in Baden, Germany, April 22, 1827, and came to America in 1848, locating in Racine until 1854. He came to Eau Claire, Oct. 4 of that year, and was employed by Geo. Randall as millwright for one year; he then worked for Carson & Eaton as superintendent of their mill for two years. He then started and kept a bakery for three or four years. In 1858 he built a hotel on the corner of Gibson and Farwell streets, called the "Northwestern" and afterward the "Central House," running the hotel and bakery at the same time for two years. He rented the hotel at different times for seven years, and managed it himself for two more; it was burned in 1871. He sold the bakery in 1865, and scaled logs for three years. In 1870 he took charge of the Eau Claire Lumber Co.'s boarding house. He was married in Racine, Aug. 18, 1850, to Othelia Fraermuth, who was born in Lorraine, France. They have ten children Chas. W., Carrie D., Geo. W., Julia, Frederick Wm., Frank, Amelia, Lucy, Edward, Louis and Laura. They lost one daughter, Nettie, who died at the age of nine months. Julia is the wife of Fred Leonard, Esq., foreman in the woods for the Eau Claire Lumber Co. Carrie is now Mrs. P. Parker, of Ackley, Iowa.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE