Bio: Williams, George W. (1881)


Surnames: Williams, Streeter, Marston

----Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (Eau Claire County, Wis.) 1881, page 337

GEORGE W. WILLIAMS, Eau Claire, came to Wisconsin in October, 1844, locating at Lake Mills, Jefferson Co., and two years later went to Mayville, Dodge Co., and engaged in farming. In 1853, he went to Portland, Dodge Co., and was in mercantile business there until 1856, when he went to Little Dells, seven miles above Kilbourn City. He was in the lumber trade there until February, 1863, when he came to Eau Claire and kept a flour and feed store for a year, and was proprietor of a livery stable for eight years. In 1869, he built the Windsor House, renting it until 1873-4, when he sold out. Selling out his livery establishment, in the Winter of 1872-73, he built a mill at Alma. After operating that for three seasons, he sold out and traveled until the Spring of 1880. Since then he has resided in Eau Claire. He was appointed Deputy Sheriff and Jailer, in January, 1881, and has charge of the county buildings, as janitor. He held various offices in other counties before coming to Eau Claire. He was born in Bannington, Genesee Co., N.Y., June 9, 1824, and married at Lake Mills, Feb. 8, 1845, to Malinda Streeter, who was born in St. Lawrence Co., N.Y. They have five children living James H., Postmaster at Vale, Chippewa Co.; Thomas E., principal of schools in Augusta; George W., Jr., book-keeper for Stephen Marston, in Eau Claire; Ella and William P.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel