Bio: Wilson, Richard F. (1881)


Surnames: Wilson, Gleason, Gage, Reed, Randall, Mead

----Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (Eau Claire County, Wis.) 1881, page 337

RICHARD F. WILSON came to Eau Claire in the Summer of 1854, and remained until late in the Winter, selecting lands for the State. He returned in 1855, and laid out the town in the Fall of that year, having purchased one-half interest in 200 acres on the east side of the Chippewa and south side of the Eau Claire rivers, on what is known as the original plat of the town of Eau Claire. He purchased in connection with W. H. Gleason, Jesse J. Gage and James Reed. Gage & Reed sold their interest to Adin Randall, who soon afterward transferred his interest to Chapman, Thorp & Burhams. The latter gentleman afterward sold his interest to Chapman & Thorp. In 1856, Adin Randall in connection with Ira Mead laid out the city of Eau Claire on the west side. They were the original proprietors and owned it for a considerable time. Mr. Wilson has never disposed of his entire interest in property acquired at the commencement of the town, but has a large property, principally improved. The property which he owns on the west side, he selected for the State in 1854, but afterward pre-empted it. He owns 160 acres, known as R. F. Wilson's Addition to the village (now city) of Eau Claire. Mr. Wilson has dealt in real estate ever since his arrival in Eau Claire. He was also in the lumbering and mercantile business, but disposed of the latter in 1870. He, at present, is interested in two mills. The one known as the R. F. Wilson mill is located in the Sixth Ward. R. F. Wilson's Addition to Eau Claire. It has a capacity of 50,000 feet per day of eleven hours' run, and employs about fifty men.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel