Bio: Randall, George W. (1881)


Surnames: Randall, Stone, Hope, La Point

----Source: History of Northern Wisconsin (Eau Claire County, Wis.) 1881, page 345

GEORGE W. RANDALL, lumber manufacturer and farmer, town of Ludington, was born in what is now the town of Berwick (formerly Baldwin), Cumberland Co., Me., March 1, 1820. Lived there until 1839, then went to Iowa, where he remained until 1840, when he came to Menomonie, Wis. He was engaged in working on the river and in the woods until 1846. Then he, with his brother Simon, built a saw-mill on the Eau Claire River, within the present limits of the city of Eau Claire. June 6, 1847, that mill was carried away by a freshet, and they built another mill on the same site. In 1851 or 1852, Simon Randall sold his interest to Philo Stone and William Hope. These gentlemen, with George W. Randall, carried on the manufacture of lumber until 1857, when they sold out to Carson & Eaton. Since that time Mr. Randall has been engaged in farming and logging, until he built his present mill, in 1880, on Muskrat Creek, in the town of Ludington. Feb. 1, 1881, he commenced running it, and will cut during the season about 1,000,000 feet of lumber, considerable of it being oak and ash. He gives employment to eight men. Mr. R. was married, Nov. 29, 1846, to Mary La Point. She was born in Minneapolis, Minn. They have ten children George W., Mary, Wellington, John, Isaiah, Sarah H., Josephine, Abraham Lincoln, Thankful and James. Lost two children; they died in infancy.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel