Bio: Culver, Enos S. (1914)
Surnames: Culver, Ellison, Slosson, Butler, Botwick, West
----Source: History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin (1914) page 690
Enos S. Culver, son of Charles F. and Charlotte (Slosson) Culver, was born in Tioga county, Pennsylvania, May 4, 1845, and was educated in the public schools of Osceola and Wellsborough and the Union Academy at Knoxville, Pa. He remained in Pennsylvania until 1867, when he moved into Wisconsin. He arrived in Eau Claire on October 21 of that year, and for thirty-one years thereafter was engaged in merchandising either as a salesman or bookkeeper, with the exception of one year, when he was at Unity closing up the business of a saw mill and store. In 1880 he opened a shoe store with a partner under the name of Culver & Ellison. In 1893 Mr. Culver bought out Mr. Ellison and conducted the business alone for five years, when he sold out and went into real estate and the mortgage and loan business, and is still so engaged. He owns 360 acres of farm land in Eau Claire county, and handles all kinds of real estate for his customers. He is a clear-headed business man, whose judgment on real estate values is keen and accurate.
Enos S. Culver married Georgia May Butler, a native of Maine, who came to Eau Claire with her parents about the same time that Mr. Culver came. They have a family of four daughters, namely, Mrs. Jessie Botwick, Mrs. Norma West, whose husband is associated with the Minneapolis Tribune; Virginia, who is the stenographer for the Union National Bank, and Miss Floss Culver, who is a demonstrator of teaching in Texas.
Mr. Culver was a member of the County Board for two terms, and was chairman of the committee on county property and was an active member of that committee when they purchased the land for the asylum farm and when the asylum was built. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias and is past chancellor of Eau Claire Lodge, No. 16. He is also a member of the Uniformed Rank of the order.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs