Bio: Cutter, Addison A. (1846 - 1906)
Surnames: Cutter, Flanders
----Source: History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin (1914) pages 690-691
Addison A. Cutter. In 1870 Addison A. Cutter became a citizen of Eau Claire. A few months later he became actively engaged in laying the foundation for the development of one of the great industries of the city, and the prominence he attained as a successful manufacturer and business man came to him as the legitimate reward of a well directed effort, sterling integrity and sagacious enterprise.
Born October 5, 1846, in Cuba, N. Y., he grew to manhood in his native state, and shortly after his arrival in Eau Claire he started in the shoe business in the building sometimes called "The Odd Fellows" at the corner of Water street and Third avenue. He later removed to what was called the "Phil lips Building" on South Barstow street. Here he became the leading shoe retailer in the town. The lumber jacks who occasionally came out of the woods in large numbers demanded a distinctive shoe; to meet this demand Mr. Cutter kept several shoemakers busy making shoes that suited them. These shoes soon became famous and the demand so great that more commodious quarters were necessary. In 1892 Mr. Cutter purchased the large building at the corner of Eau Claire and Dewey streets from the Eau Claire Lumber Company and remodeled the building for factory and office purposes. The present shoe factory was started and has since flourished.
In addition to his shoe manufacturing business, Mr. Cutter was prominently identified with the financial and social interests of the city. He was a director of the Union National Bank, treasurer of the American Calk Company and had many other interests. He was one of the leading promoters of the Valley Club, a member of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks and a member of the Old Settlers' Association. During the civil war Mr. Cutter enlisted and served in a New York regiment.
On September 1, 1875, Mr. Cutter married Miss Belle Flanders, of Baraboo. Wis., and to them were born two daughters, Louise and Helen.
Mr. Cutter was a thorough business men and in his death, which occurred July 7, 1906, Eau Claire lost one of its foremost citizens. He was progressive and public spirited, a man of large affairs, and his most important enterprise was his shoe factory in Eau Claire, which since his death has been continued under the name of the A. A. Cutter Company.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs