Bio: Kelley, John J. (1914)


Surnames: Kelley, Eagan 

----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) page 752. 

John J. Kelley, who ranks among the prominent and influential citizens of Eau Claire, was born in Ireland, June 6. 1848. He came to America when a small boy and in 1865 landed in Eau Claire. After coming to Wisconsin he was for several years connected with the flouring mills at Portage City, Columbia county, and for ten years had charge of a flouring mill for the Eau Claire Lumber Company. After severing his connection with this company Mr. Kelley purchased a flouring mill in Washington township, which he successfully conducted for nine years. In 1885 he erected an ice house on Fifth street, between Grand avenue West and Union street. This he subsequently moved to Half Moon lake, where it was enlarged and now has a capacity of about 25,000 tons. Mr. Kelley formed a stock company, which was incorporated under the laws of Wisconsin in 1912 under the name of the Eau Claire Ice Company, of which he is president. The company does an extensive business and keeps its sixteen wagons and thirty men employed the year round. 

Mr. Kelley married in Eau Claire, Margaret S. Eagan, daughter of John Eagan. By this union there has been six children, as follows: John J., Jr., Bessie, Josephine, Ruth, Sumner and Paul, all of whom were born in the city of Eau Claire. Mr. Kelley is prominently identified with St. Patrick's church, is a member of the Catholic Knights and the Hibernians.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel