Bio: Howe, George H. (? 1911)

Contact: crystal@wiclarkcountyhistory.org.

Surnames: Howe, Ellison, Tisdale, Blystone

----Source: History of Eau Claire County Wisconsin (1914) pages 737-738

George H. Howe, deceased, who was esteemed alike for his sterling worth as a man and the public spirit, enterprise and tenacity of purpose, which made him an important factor in the business circles of Eau Claire, was born in Essex county, New York, in 1859, and there received his education and grew to manhood. In the early 80's, being fully convinced he should find better opportunities for advancement, he came West and entered the employ of a large Chicago concern as traveling salesman, during which time he was thus employed making his home at Lancaster, Wis. In 1885 he moved to Charles City, Ia., and engaged in business for himself, remaining there for five years. He came to Eau Claire in 1890 and was for three years connected with the A. A. Cutter shoe establishment. In 1893 he entered the employ of A. P. Ellison, who conducted a shoe store in the building now occupied by the Lyric theater. After being thus employed for some time Mr. Howe purchased an interest and became a member of that concern. In 1904 Mr. Ellison withdrew his interest and the Howe Shoe Company was formed, with the late Mr. Howe as president, under whose guiding hand and fair and honorable dealings the business was increased to such proportions as to be considered one of the best in its line in the state. A business man of the highest character, Mr. Howe was in all respects a most worthy and estimable citizen, and his death, which occurred February 6, 1911, was a great loss to the city of Eau Claire.

On September 1, 1887, Mr. Howe married Miss Mae Tisdale, at Minneapolis, Minn. Their family consists of two daughters, Margaret and Annabel. Margaret is now teaching domestic science in Bonner, Mont., and Annabel married George O. Blystone, of Eau Claire, and has one daughter, Kathryn.

Mr. Howe was a trustee of the Congregational church in Eau Claire and an ardent church worker. He took an active interest in the meetings of the Boys' Club, that looked toward the establishment of the Y. M. C. A., which was successfully carried through.

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE