Bio: Nash, George J. (1914)

Contact: crystal@wiclarkcountyhistory.org.


Surnames: Nash, Prey, Sodel, Morse, Smith, Stevens

 

----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) pages 804-805

 

George J. Nash, superintendent of printing and engraving for the Eau Claire Book & Stationery Company, was born at Hudson, Wis., July 17, 1865, the son of Lester A. and Elizabeth Mary (Prey) Nash, and is descended from Scotch-Irish ancestry. His father, who was born in Rochester, New York, was one of the pioneers of Hudson, where he engaged in contracting and building, and where he now lives retired at the age of 78 years, the mother being now in her 80th year. They reared a family of seven children as follows: Frederick is deceased; Jennie married O. S. Sodel, of Hudson; George J. and Gilbert J. (twins), the latter was drowned at Hudson, July 15, 1878; Elliott E. is assistant general superintendent of the Northwestern Railroad in

Chicago; Frank L., a dealer in lumber at Seattle, Wash., and Olive V. married W. A. Morse, a traveling salesman, at Lane Park, Fla.

 

George J. attended the public schools until he was thirteen years of age, at which time he went to work on the "True Republican" newspaper at Hudson, and there served an apprenticeship and as errand boy for six years, then went to the "Hudson Star and Times," and for seven years was foreman of the office. In April, 1894, he came to Eau Claire and became associated with the Eau Claire Book & Stationery Company, taking charge of their printing and manufacturing department. He is now superintendent and has upward of twenty hands under his supervision.

 

In 1887 Mr. Nash enlisted as a private in Company C, 3rd regiment Wisconsin National Guards, as a charter member. He was promoted to the rank of corporal, sergeant, first sergeant, first lieutenant and captain, having been appointed to the latter office August 16, 1893, and resigned February 27, 1895. Fraternally Mr. Nash stands high in Masonic circles, being a member of the Blue Lodge, Chapter and Commandery, is past master of Eau Claire Lodge, No. 112; served seven years as secretary of the Chapter and seven years as recorder of the Commandery. He is also a member of the U. C. T., a member of and at present (1914) elder of the First Presbyterian Church, and superintendent of the Sunday school.

 

Mr. Nash has been twice married, first to Hattie A. Smith, of Hudson, who died in 1902, leaving two children Lucius B., and Clyde L. He married for his second wife Miss May Stevens, daughter of A. H. Stevens, of Eau Claire.

 

 

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE