Bio: Randall, Edgar H. (1914)
Surnames: Randall, Babcock, Bride
----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) pages 842-843
Edgar H. Randall, a well known business man of Eau Claire, has been a resident here since 1856. He is the son of Adin Randall, who was born in Brookfield, Madison county, New York, October 12, 1829, and came to Wisconsin in 1854, settling first at Madison, this state, where Edgar, our subject, was born on May 5, 1855. Adin Randall followed his trade of carpenter and joiner for one year in Madison, and in the fall of 1855 came to Eau Claire and in the spring of 1856 moved his family here, consisting of his wife and two children. Soon after his arrival he engaged in the lumber business with the firm of Gage & Reed, whose mill occupied the site where the Mississippi River Logging Company's lower mill on the Eau Claire river was located. He soon after sold his interests to J. G. Thorp and purchased the land on the west side of the river south of Grand avenue west, extending from Half Moon lake to the river, and platted it as Adin Randall's first and second addition to the city of Eau Claire, but it was generally known at that time as "Randall Town." He built a saw mill, which he equipped with machinery for planing and making sash, doors and blinds. In 1861 he moved to Chippewa Falls and ran the big mill there. In 1863 he built a dam and saw mill at Jim's Falls, which he conducted until 1865, when he sold it to French & Giddings, and then bought a mill at Reed's Landing, which he fitted up and operated until he died, April 26, 1868. He gave Randall Park and Lake View cemetery to the city; also half of the high school lots and the lots for the First Congregational church.
On March 8, 1852, Adin Randall married at Brookfield, N. Y., Miss Clamenzia E. Babcock, daughter of Rawson and Maudana Babcock, and they reared a family of six children, viz.: Burdett M., Edgar H., Nellie G., Dora M., Eva and Adin W. Randall. The mother of these children passed away on November 1, 1885.
Edgar H. obtained his education in the public schools of Eau Claire, learned the trade of sign painter, and since 1876 has been engaged in sign business in this city. Mr. Randall married, on August 4, 1887, Miss Helen M., daughter of John A. and Mary J. Bride, of Otter Creek township, Eau Claire county. To Mr. and Mrs. Randall have been born three children. viz.: Adin A., born August 30, 1888; Everett H., born April 12, 1890, and Helen Fern, born March 3, 1893.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs