Bio: Lockwood, Charles W. (1914)
Surnames: Lockwood, Waters, Moon, Carson, Edmonds, Smith
----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) pages 775-776
Charles W. Lockwood is the son of William H. Lockwood, who was born in the city of New York in 1824. The latter received his education in his native city, and after leaving the common schools graduated from the University of New York, class of 1847, and Union Theological Seminary, class of 1851. His profession was the ministry with the Presbyterian church and his first charge was at Coventryville, New York. For some years he was located at Lowville, in the same state, and in 1864 moved to Eau Claire, Wis., where, as minister in charge of the first Presbyterian church, he was among the prominent leaders in his denomination in that part of Wisconsin. Rev. William Lockwood was pastor of the First Presbyterian Church of Eau Claire until 1890, and in that time became very popular and widely beloved, both in his own church and among all classes. In 1890 occurred his retirement from the active work of the ministry and he lived quietly until his death in 1897. During his years as a resident of Eau Claire he was actively engaged in other work than that of the ministry, and for four years served as county superintendent of schools. Rev. Lockwood voted the Whig ticket, until the dissolution of that party, and then became an ardent supporter of the principles for which the Republicans stood sponsor. He was a strong advocate of anti-slavery principles and always a fighter, when there was any opportunity. In 1857 Rev. William H. Lockwood married Mary Waters, who was born in the state of New York, in 1832, and died in 1904. Two children were born to their marriage. Of these, the older is Charles W. Lockwood, and the younger is Catherine, who became the wife of Lawrence G. Moon.
Charles W. Lockwood was born in Lowville, Lewis county, New York, on the sixteenth of July, 1859. He was only a lad when his father moved to Wisconsin, and his education was chiefly acquired in the schools of Eau Claire. When the course was completed in the public schools his practical experience and training was continued in a position of minor importance with the Bank of Eau Claire. At that time he was eighteen years of age, and by persistent application and industry, worked his way up to the position of cashier. From 1885 until 1897 he was behind the cashier's window of the bank; was considered one of the best men for the place that the bank had ever had, and undoubtedly had much to do with the prosperity of the institution during these years. In 1897 Mr. Lockwood transferred his interests to the Eau Claire National Bank as director and vice president, and holds both those offices at the present time. In 1906 he was one of the men who organized the Eau Claire Savings Bank, becoming its vice president, and has acted in that position ever since.
Mr. Lockwood is a member of several fraternal and social orders. His most important affiliation is with Eau Claire Lodge, No. 112, A. P. & A. M., and also with the Knights of Pythias. He is deeply interested in historic matters, and is a life member of the Wisconsin State Historical Society, and also belongs to the Wisconsin Society of Chicago. In politics Mr. Lockwood is a Republican. On the seventh of December, 1891, Mr. Lockwood was married to Fannie W. Carson, a daughter of William and Mary Edmonds (Smith) Carson. Mrs. Lockwood was born in Eau Galle, in Dunn county, Wis. To her marriage with Mr. Lockwood were born three daughters and one son, as follows: Mary, Frances, Virginia and William.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs