Bio: Laycock, Henry (1914)
Surnames: Laycock, Granger, Mosby, Brewer
----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) pages 769-770
Henry Laycock, retired contractor and builder of Eau Claire, was born in Yorkshire, England, March 14, 1842. Son of Ralph and Ann (Granger) Laycock. He was reared to manhood in his native country, attended the common schools, and served an apprenticeship at the general masons trade. After mastering his trade which his father and grandfather before had followed, he, in 1861, set sail for the United States. Landing in New York City, he remained but a short time, but in August of that year went to Toronto, Canada, and was employed at his trade for two years. In 1863 he returned to the States and located at Sterling, Illinois, resuming his labors as a mason until the Spring of 1864, when he enlisted as a soldier in the Civil War, as a member of Company C, Eight Illinois Cavalry. He participated in several skirmishes, and was later on detailed duty in Virginia, chasing General Mosby and protecting the commissary department. After eighteen months of service he was honorably discharged at Benton Barrack, Missouri, paid off in Chicago, and returned to Sterling, Ill.
Soon after his return from the war, he embarked in business for himself as a contractor and builder, remaining at Sterling until 1870, when he removed to Chippewa Falls, Wis., and continued in business there. In 1878 he came to Eau Claire, where he has since resided, and was actively engaged in business until 1895, when he retired. During the latter year he erected the Laycock block, on Barstow street, a handsome two story brick structure, with a frontage of 155 feet and a depth of 125. The ground floor contains four large store rooms, while the second floor is used for office purposes.
In 1872 Mr. Laycock married Miss Margaret E., daughter of Thomas Brewer, of Albany, Illinois, by whom he had two children, Ida and Ira, both of whom are now deceased. Mrs. Laycock died September 1, 1912. Mr. Laycock is one of Eau Claire's progressive and most respected citizens. He owns a handsome residence on the west side, Eau Claire, and a pleasant summer cottage at Lake Chetek. He is a 32d degree Mason, being a member of Eau Claire Lodge, No. 112, Eau Claire Commandery, No. 8, Knights Templar and Eagle Post, No. 52, G. A. R. He served as alderman of the sixth ward of Eau Claire two terms and represented his ward on the county board one term. In 1908 he was elected a member of the legislature from the first district of Eau Claire and under the new appointment was elected representative from Eau Claire county in 1912. Politically he is a Republican.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs