Bio: Kinnear, William A. (1832 - 1900)
Surnames: Kinnear, Phillips, Cady
----Source: History of Eau Claire County, Wisconsin (1914) pages 758-759
William A. Kinnear, whose death occurred on February 16, 1900, was one of Eau Claire's enterprising and substantial business men, and enjoyed the confidence and esteem of all who knew him. He was born in Franklin, Venango county, Pa., October 4, 1832. His father was James Kinnear, a shoemaker by trade.
William A. spent his boyhood days in Meadville, obtaining his education in the common and high schools, and as a young man learned the trade of architect and builder under the tutelage of his uncle in Warren, Pa., and in 1857 came west to Will county, Ill., where he was engaged in contracting and building. He later moved to Dupage county, and there built several residences and a church, and in 1862 went to Cairo, Ill., and while there was employed in the navy of the United States government.
In 1866 he came up the Mississippi and Chippewa rivers by boat to Eau Claire and landed within 300 feet of where the Kinnear drug store now stands. After his arrival here he started a small, variety store and later erected the present large brick building occupied by the Kinnear drug store, which was established in 1890. For thirty-four years Mr. Kinnear was considered one of the city's most influential and successful business men. He was of a quiet and unassuming manner, public spirited and generous, and was popular both in business and social circles.
Mr. Kinnear married Miss Jannett S. Phillips, of Richburg, N. Y., daughter of Wilson and Eliza (Cady) Phillips, of Vermont, a lady of refinement and culture, who now successfully carries on the drug business established by her husband.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs