History: Carwright's Mill (1881)
Contact: Janet Schwarze
---Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin, pg. 226.
BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF CARTWRIGHT'S MILL.
The first settlement in this place in the Town of Auburn was made by David W. and David J. Cartwright, father and son, in June, 1875. They began to erect a steam saw-mill, which was completed in December, of that year, and put in operation. D. J. Cartwright, on the 12th of that month, moved his family into a small shanty, most hastily erected. This was the first family here. The machinery for the mill was purchased in Chicago, of the Rochester Manufacturing Company, shipped by rail to Eau Claire, and from there hauled by teams a distance of forty miles. For several miles the men were obliged to cut their road through. The place has a weekly mail service, established in May, 1879, Perry Sweet, Postmaster. The mill has a capacity of 14.000 of lumber and 20,000 shingles, per twelve hours. There is also a spoke factory, with machinery for cutting felloes attached. Two years ago the elder Cartwright disposed of his undivided half interest in the mill to C. M. Tarr. The style of the present firm is Cartwright & Co. A school district has just been established. There is one store here, operated by the company. The Seventh Day Baptist Society has erected a church. The town is located in a heavily timbered country. The Northern Wisconsin Railroad is being built through the place.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs