Bio: Johnson, Carl H. (Retirement – 1964)
Contact: Dinah Reinke
------ Source: Tribune-Phonograph (Abbotsford, Clark Co., Wis.) 05/21/1964
------ Johnson, Carl H. (1 FEB 1964)
Carl H. Johnson, Colby, founder and president of Johnson Silo and Lumber Company, Inc., retired April 1, fifty years after building his first silo.
Fifty years ago he built three silos in the Unity area, one on his own farm and two for neighbors.
Twenty-five years ago he formed the Johnson Silo Co. at Abbotsford, where he stayed until 1948 when he moved the business to Colby, and began manufacturing cement blocks. The company was then renamed Johnson Block and Silo Co.
In 1956 a saw mill operation was begun and the cement blocks were discontinued. The name was changed to Johnson Silo and Lumber Company, and the company was incorporated in 1961.
Johnson Silo and Lumber Company, Inc. now specializes in building barns, silos and all types of farm buildings along with distributorship of allied barn equipment products. An all electric saw mill and a gravel washing plant are now included in the operation.
Carl H. Johnson is succeeded as president of the corporation by his son, Carl J. (Bugs) Johnson.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs