News: Granton Locals (13 Mar 1914)

Contact: Betty Comstock


Surnames: Alamang, Alt, Ayers, Baer, Balfanz, Balke, Bartz, Batch, Beer,  Bertschinger, Bladl, Breseman, Buss, Campbell, Carpenter, Chapel, Cole, Crosby, Curtiss, Daughhetee, Davidson, Davis, Deming, Eynogle, Faunze, Fleser, Foemmel, Gall, Gearke, Gehres, Geisler, Gripentog, Hales, Hart, Hatch, Hayden, Hazen, Henze, Hill, Hillert, Holmes, Howard, Hubing, Ives, Jahr, Johnson, Kintzele, Knickle, Kubat, Kuechenmeister, Laskowski, McComb, Martens, Meal, Montag, Montgomery, Nebling, Neinas, Nichols, Nitschke, Osgood, Paulson, Petznik, Pietenpol, Prust, Rausch, Reed, Richter, Riedel, Reindel, Rhines, Rinehard, Royce, Rose, Ross, Satterlee, Schlinsog, Schoengarth, Schroeder, Schuler, Schultz, Schwantes, Schwanebeck, Shafer, Smart, Stallman, Steel, Stelle, Sternitzky, Thayer, Tompkins, Wage, Whipple, Wilding, Williams, Wilson, Winn, Wittke, Wolf, Wonser, Wood, Yankee, Zille, Zwick 

------ Source: Granton News (Granton, Clark Co., Wis.) 03/13/1914

Emil Prust of Chili was in town Tuesday.

Miss Bertha Hillert spent Tuesday at Neillsville.

Fay Curtiss is on a short visit to Richland County relatives since Tuesday.

Ed McComb after a visit at his brother Lester’s went home to Fairchild Tuesday.

Mrs. Milford Satterlee of Marshfield spent the first of the week here a guest of Mrs. S. Gearke.

Mrs. Ameilia Montgomery went to Fond du Lac Wednesday for an extended stay.

Willie Martens of Chili spent the fore part of the week here with the John Bladl family.

Elmer Knickle and Ross Paulson transacted business at Marshfield on Saturday.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Foemmel, Jr. went to Stratford Saturday to visit relatives.

Mrs. Fred Cole went to Minneapolis last Saturday for an extended visit with relatives in that city.

Mrs. Chas. Chapel and daughter Zona Belle of Marshfield spent last week here at Geo. Hart’s.

Mrs. Gottlieb Riedel and son Emil transacted business at the county seat, Monday.

Mrs. Herman Batch suffering with a boil so near to the right eye that it was feared she might lose the sight of that optic is now recovering nicely.

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Campbell of York were in town Monday.  This was Mrs. Campbell’s first visit here since her recent illness with pneumonia.

T.J. Rinehard of Sherwood after a 4 weeks visit in Vernon County is home since Monday.

Dan Hill, Frank Gall and his son Albert were in from the town of Sherwood and were guests of the Wesley Shafer home, Monday.

Mrs. Nebling of Neenah was here last week to attend the funeral of Miss Grace Bartz.

The Gottlieb Bertschinger home welcomed the arrival of a baby boy early this month.

S. Gearke of the Forest House has been quite ill the past 2 weeks and confined to the house.

Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Geisler left Saturday for Bruce, Wis., where Mr. Geisler has a position in a creamery.Mr. Geisler is a son-in-law of our towns man George Howard.

Dr. Ross bought two fine Holstein heifers and E.R. Wonser one, from Mr. Royce near Marshfield.

The Circle will meet with Mrs. W.J. Thayer next Wednesday, Mar. 18th.

James Davidson of chili was in town on business Monday.  This office acknowledges a pleasant call.

Mr. Richter of Brillion, a brother in law of Mrs. Wm. Bartz came up from there last week Thursday to attend the funeral of his niece since which time he is visiting among relatives here-about.

Albert Jahr and Bert Ayers went to Neillsville Monday evening.

Frank Wood was a Neillsville caller Saturday.

Retta Osgood transacted business at Neillsville, Saturday.

Tom Wage was looking after his real estate interests in Marshfield, Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Zwick and Webb Winn were Neillsville visitors Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Rose and Mr. and Mrs. Chas. Neinas spent Sunday evening at the Otto Henze home.

Miss Gertie Balke went to Milwaukee Tuesday.  She has a good position there and was only home on a vacation.

Miss Della Henze spent the fore part of the week with her sisters at the Emery Crosby home in Neillsville.

David Steel is home from several weeks stay at the Marshfield Hospital since Monday.  Though still very weak he is well on the road to recovery.

Mrs. Norman and little nephew Craig Montag of Lynn took Fridays noon train here for Merrillan where they went for an over Sunday visit.

Theodore Schultz of Heathville went to Rozellville Tuesday to attend the funeral of his uncle Carl Schultz.

Miss Laura Breseman spent Sat. at Neillsville in having her eyes tested.

Mrs. E.R. Wonser and daughter Mermal, Mrs. Kearney Davis and Mr. and Mrs. Dan Rausch were at Neillsville, Friday.

Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Hart went to Eau Claire last Saturday and bought a car load of groceries for their new store which will be opened within a short time.

Mrs. Gus. Hazen went to Neillsville Monday evening for a visit at the Del Rodman home and to have dental work done in the city next morning.

Miss Ida Whipple and Miss Marinda Faunze of Sparta who were visiting at Henry Gehres’ the pas two weeks returned to their home last Saturday.

The little son of Mr. and Mrs. Clifford Winn while at Louis Hayden’s birthday surprise party Thursday evening of last week, through a fall upon the floor suffered a broken leg.

Hiram Hales of Spencer, Iowa, after a 5 weeks visit with relatives in the town of York left for home on Monday.

Ross Paulson left for the Dakota’s on another horse buying trip, Sunday.  He expects to be home about the middle of next week.

Mrs. Cole and daughter Bernice of Humbird came over Saturday and remained until Sunday noon, guests at Fred Hart’s.

J.B. Daughhetee was at Marshfield Tuesday.

Miss Elsie Breseman was home from Neillsville over Sunday.

John Kintzele was at Neillsville on business Tuesday evening.

The Misses Alt and Deming spent the weekend at Neillsville.

Mrs. Alice Hatch is home since Monday from here Minnesota visit.

A Free Social will be held at the W.J. Davis home this Friday eve.

Mrs. F.J. Baer spent Saturday morning with friends at the Marshfield Hospital.

Mrs. Alamang and daughter Connie of Jump River came last week Thursday and made an over Sunday visit at the J.B. Daughhetee home.

Byrl Winn, W.J. Davis and J.B. Daughhetee spent Saturday evening attending an I.O.O.F. meeting at Neillsville.

Mrs. H.B. Holmes and daughter Inez are home from Rochester, Minn. whither they had been to consult the Mayo’s in regard to Inez’s health, since Friday.  Miss Inez under Drs. Mayo’s instructions is now taking the rest cure and if she follows his instructions will be confined to her bed for two months.

Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Eynogle who bought the D.J. Davis farm in town of York, arrived here Wednesday morning from Richland Center with their daughter, Miss Dessie and Ernest Stayton and took possession of their new home that day.

Mr. and Mrs. Will Neinas and daughter and Mrs. Herman Montag and youngest child were here from Chili Friday as guests of the Chas. Neinas family and to attend the funeral of the late Miss Grace Bartz.

Mr. and Mrs. Joe Buss spent Monday afternoon with friends in Marshfield.

Mrs. Langden Nichols, Mrs. J.M. Tompkins, Mrs. W.J. Davis, Mrs. John Pietenpol, Miss Martha Nitschke were Neillsville visitors Monday.

Mrs. Geo. Wilding who recently underwent an operation at Marshfield for appendicitis is home from there since Friday and is well on the road to recovery.

Fred Zille went to Eau Claire Saturday and made an over Sunday visit.

Leo Steele who has been out of school and ill with pneumonia for weeks past has sufficiently recovered to be again in school since Monday.

Ferdinand Gripentog of Spencer came down Friday to visit his daughter Mrs. Fred Schwantes and on Monday, with here husband, accompanied her to the Marshfield Hospital where she underwent an operation for appendicitis.

Morris Johnson after a months visit at Herman Schwanebeck’s in Sherwood went home to Wayauwega, Monday.

Mrs. A.B. Schuler, the Misses Alma and Leah Reindel went to Marshfield Monday to visit Mrs. Geo. Wilson and Ethel Balfanz who are at St. Joseph Hospital there.

Mr. and Mrs. Pete Paulson of Neillsville returning home by train from Marshfield Saturday evening of last week got off here and completed the trip home by auto.  They were in Marshfield that day to make out the papers for the transfer of their city property there.  Mr. Paulson will build not only a garage but a home too in Neillsville this summer.

Mrs. Wm Carpenter and her invalid son Baby Victor were over from Marshfield and made a weekend visit with her parents Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Ives. In Heathville and went home Monday afternoon.

Herman Yankee and Hy Sternitzky who went to Ashland last week are home from there since early Monday morning.  Wm. and Ernest Sternitzky and Miss Anna Sternitzky remained over another day and got home on Tuesday.

Lawrence Davis while clipping the hair off one of the driving horses’ legs Saturday afternoon had the animal kick him in the face and severely injured him.  He suffered two ugly cuts in his cheek and chin and the loss of several teeth, since which time he has been confined at home and taken only liquid nourishment and that through a glass tube.

Mr. and Mrs. Clemens Kuechenmeister will entertain Prof. and Mrs. Reed of Neillsville, the teachers and pupils of the freshman class, the parents of those pupils and a few friends at dinner tomorrow, Sat.

Mrs. Joe Fleser was on the sick list last week.

Mrs. W. J. Thayer and daughter Elva spent Wednesday at Neillsville.

Little Marion Schroeder is ill with pneumonia since Monday.

Miss Nellie Meal of Hurley is visiting between the Reinhold and Oscar Kuechenmeister homes the past two weeks.

A crew of railroad carpenters came Wednesday and repaired the damage to the depot roof caused by the fire of the day before.

Miss Clara Hubing went to Mondovi Wednesday where she is engaged with millinery work during the spring season.

Mrs. Clemens Kuechenmeister and Miss Elsie Wolf went to La Crosse last Friday.  Mrs. Kuechenmeister is home since Monday, but Miss Wolf stayed for a more extended visit.

Mr. and Mrs. Myron Osgood entertained some twenty guests at a card party Monday evening, when a very pleasant social time was enjoyed by all present.

Anton Laskowski sold his farm just east of town here last week to Williams and Wonser and Mr. Laskowski on Wednesday bought Mrs. August Riedel’s 35 acres in the town of Lynn.

According to dispatches received from Washington by the daily press, the appointment of Edward Schroeder as postmaster for Granton has been confirmed by the Senate.  Mr. Schroeder has not yet been officially notified of the appointment.

Mrs. Wm. Schoengarth’s birthday was celebrated with all due honors Tuesday night by her relatives and friends giving here a surprise party which prove a very enjoyable affair and lasted into the wee small hours of the next day.

Fred Schwantes, Mrs. Chas. Balfanz, Mrs. Frank Kubat, Mrs. Chas. Reed and Miss Viola Rhines spent Wednesday with relatives and friends at the Marshfield Hospital.

Mr. and Mrs. Otto Wittke were called to Wausau Friday by the serious illness of his sister Lizzie, Mrs. Chester Smart who died there that afternoon.  They remained for the funeral which was held on Tuesday.

Mr. and Mrs. Chas Balke’s silver wedding anniversary and their daughter Miss Ernestine’s 18th birthday anniversary falling due at the same time last Friday, the relatives gave them a delightful surprise when they came over early in the evening a houseful strong and took possession of the house and showed them how such an occasion should be celebrated.

Mrs. Henry Beer and daughter Martha came over from Marshfield Friday evening and went home with Ernest Schlinsog.  After supper Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Schlinsog and their guests drove to Chas. Balke home east of the Petznick cheese factory and assisted in the festivities there that evening.

Mr. and Mrs. Fred Schwantes went to Marshfield Monday morning that Mrs. Schwantes might enter St. Josephs Hospital and undergo an operation for relief from Appendicitis.  The operation was performed that afternoon and the patient is recovering nicely.  Miss Elizabeth Schwantes of Spencer is here since last Friday looking after the household duties and the care of her brother, Fred Schwantes’ children

Section man Peter Stallman is going into the depot warehouse for his coal pick Tuesday morning smelled smoke and investigating discovered the warehouse roof to be afire.  The prompt action of himself, agent Crandall, Supt. Neinas and others who luckily were near the scene, soon extinguished the flames, and but for the unsightly man hole in the roof all is as it was before.  Whether a spark from a passing engine or whether from the depot chimney started the blaze, is not known.




© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel