Bio: Andrews, G. B. (Store Burns - 1913)
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 09 Jan 1913
Andrews, G. B. (Store Burns - 6 JAN 1913)
Sometime Monday night the store and residence of G.B. Andrews of Longwood, caught fire and was consumed with the entire stock of merchandise and household goods.
The family of Mr. Andrews retired that evening, the same as usual, with not the first thought of a disaster that would rob them of all their personal belongings and endanger their lives.
About two o'clock the family was aroused by the smoke and heat of the fire raging under them in the rear end of the store.. All possible haste was made to secure some of their clothing, but without avail, as the flames were then burning the stairway, the only means of exit from the building.
J.S. Andrews of this city was visiting his brother at the time and escaped with one shoe, which was more than any other occupant of the place saved.
At present Mr. Andrews and family are living with neighbors until they can secure a place to make their home.
The building and contents were a total loss and will come to the family as a hard blow. It is reported that $4,000 insurance, including the stocks of merchandise.
The fire is believed to have originated from a defective chimney.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs