Church: Warner Immanuel Church Dedication (18 Sep 1910)
Surnames: Saewert, Hoffer, Hendren, Lemke, Sweet
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 22 Sep 1910
The dedication of Immanuel's Reformed Church was observed Sunday last with fitting and appropriate service conducted under the supervision of its pastor, Rev. O.J.F. Saewert.
In the morning at ten o'clock prayer was offered in the old church by Rev. Saewert, followed by a song by the choir, after which the congregation headed by its pastor and choir marched to the new brick structure singing praises to Him above, until the assemblage were seated.
Prof. E.A. Hoffer, D.D., preached the dedication sermon speaking in German, the pews and seats being filled to the doors.
Services in the afternoon was opened by the reading of scripture and singing by the choir, after which Rev. Lemke of La Crosse preached the sermon in German. Rev. W.T. Hendren and Rev. Sweet made short addresses in English, especially for the benefit of the many visitors who were unable to understand German. It is estimated that 400 people were in attendance at the afternoon service.
The building is one of the finest ever erected in this locality, and has a seating capacity of about three hundred and fifty. A gallery in the rear seats about seventy-five. The interior is furnished entirely of oak, the woodwork, including seats, pews and casings display the golden oak effect. The walls are of plaster and the ceiling is covered with steel sheeting. Across the wall back of the pulpit, in the shape of an arch, is painted the motto "Glory be to God in the highest." The finish of the building outside and in has been perfected by skilled hands and under good supervision.
An elegant Reed rogan was presented to the church by the young people, this together with a communion table, pulpit chairs and carpet given by the Ladies' Aid Society, add the necessities which made it complete.
The actual cost of the building complete was $5,575.00 and the entire donation by the congregation and outsiders is $4,889.50.
Following is a list of the names of the outsiders who have contributed and amounts.
• E.T. Burch - $15
• Rossman, Steiger Co. $30
• Dr. Schofield - $10
• Axel Krokson - $5
• A.M. White - $5
• A. Noetzel - $5
• G. Bishop - $5
• John Stafford - $5
• E.N. Paul - $2
• Volk Bros. - $5
• Big Store - $10
• Albert Schwarze - $10
• Frank Klinke - $2
• Greenwood State Bank - $15
• Henry Warner - $50
• Greenwood Roller Miller - $10
• Greenwood Lumber Co. $10
• H. Wescott - $2
• C.H. Clute - $5
• P.W. Gullord - $5
• J. Stanton - $5
• T. Leach - $3
• Dr. Sillick - $2
• A.A. Duell - $2
• C.C. Hoehne - $50
• W.R. Howard & Son - $2
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs