Obit: Marden, Riley Hull (1833 – 1900)


Surnames: Marden, Clifford

----Source: Judy (Marden) Hanson Scrapbook – Fergus Falls, MN Newspaper

Marden, Riley H. (1833 – 21 JUL 1900)

The sudden and unexpected death of Col. R.H. Marden cast a gloom over the entire city Sunday morning. Col. Marden had not enjoyed the best of health for some years past, but he seemed to be as well as usual Saturday, and death came entirely without warning.

During the thunderstorm that passed over the city Saturday evening, lightning struck in the road in front of his residence on Union Avenue, and Mrs. Marden received a severe shock. Mr. Marden hastened to a neighbor's to telephone for a physician, and the excitement must have hastened …(unreadable)…and both retired as usual later in the evening. About 3 a.m. Mrs. Marden arose to go to an adjoining room…(unreadable)… manifested no symptoms of illness. She had left the room however, when she thought she heard a slight groan, and hastening back, found that he was unconscious and that life was almost extinct. She called a young lady who was sleeping upstairs, and at once summoned some of the neighbors, but assistance was of no avail. The heart had failed, and death had been almost instantaneous.

Riley H. Marden was born in Vermont in 1833, being 67 years of age at the time of his death. He was one of a family of thirteen children and his father and ten of these survive him. His father has reached the extreme age of 92 years. Col. Marden grew to manhood in the village of Randolph in his native state. At the outbreak of Civil War hastened to call him to the service of his country. He enlisted with the 4th volunteer infantry, which was one of the first regiments sent to the front and which served with distinction in the army of the Potomac throughout the war, taking part in all the terrible battles in which that army was engaged. In 1863 he was discharged from the army as incapacitated for further of service because of wounds received in battle. He returned home and was married a few months later to Emily E. Clifford. In the spring of 1864 he re-enlisted and was sent to the front, as a member of a corps of Vermont sharpshooters. He remained in this corps until he was commissioned to take command in a colored regiment. The regiment served with distinguished gallantry until it was practically annihilated in the disastrous mine explosion before St. Petersburg. Col. Marden was himself severely wounded at about the same time by a splinter from a log which had been struck by a cannon ball. He was picked up by an ambulance from another corps and his own corps officers, failing to find him, reported him dead. It was three weeks before his wife learned that he was still living.

While convalescing in the hospital at Washington, he began the study of law and was admitted to practice before the Vermont bar, shortly after his final discharge from the service. He came to this city in 1882 and has since been engaged in active practice here. He has been one of the city justices for several years past and will be missed and mourned by citizens generally for many years to come.

His only daughter died a few years ago. Mr. Charles S. Marden, the well-known attorney of Barnesville, is his only son.

The funeral will be held from Grace M.E. Church, of which he was a member, at 10 o'clock tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, Rev. J.B. Hingeley of Minneapolis officiating.

Death Record Information - Otter Tail Co., Minn. Book D, Page 44, Line 1



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel