Obit: Marden, Archie (1906? – 1933)


Surnames: Marden, Gustafson, Hanson, Carlson, Quackenbush, Cadby, Samdahl, Oakes

----Source: Black River Falls, Wis. Newspaper (29 Nov 1933)

Marden, Archie (1906? – 29 NOV 1933)

Archie Marden aged 27, was shot during a fight at the home of Carl Gustafson, at what is known as the old Shepp place, about five miles southeast of this city (Black River Falls, Wis.) on Highway 12, about 9:30 o'clock Saturday night. Marden was shot near the heart and died at the Krohn hospital about 7 o'clock this morning. Gustafson is in jail.

The Shepp place has been notorious for several months. Recently the county acquired the property on a tax deed and served notice on Gustafson and his wife to move out.

He had rented a house in town and on Saturday had moved part of his household goods. Saturday night he gave a farewell party, at which there was plenty of beer and possibly other drinks.

Marden and his wife were among those who attended the party. About 9:30 o'clock Marden and his wife went to their car, apparently to go home. They lived in a small house a couple of miles west from the Shepp place. Getting to the car, Marden commenced to abuse his wife because she would not permit him to drive in his condition. Those in the house rushed out. They separated Marden and his wife and she got into the car. The rest went back into the house and Marden followed. He immediately got into an altercation with Mrs. Gustafson and others in the pantry. Gustafson claims that he ordered …(words unreadable)…whipped out a 32-calibre revolver and fired.

The bullet struck Marden in the left side, grazing his heart and lodging in the right side. It is said that Marden did not fall from the shot, but assisted by some of those present went out and got into his car. His wife brought him to the hospital. He did not lose consciousness on the way.

The doctors traced the course of the wound and saw that it was of a very serious nature, with small likelihood of recovery. They notified District Attorney Hans Hanson, who immediately called Sheriff Carlson. The sheriff took with him, Nigh Marshal Frank Quackenbush, and Carl Cadby, and hastened to the Shepp place. They found Gustafson sitting on the floor drinking a glass of beer. Marshal Quackenbush immediately grabbed the gun and handed it to the sheriff. They then took Gustafson and brought him to the county jail. He was taken before Justice Samdahl, Monday, and the examination was adjourned until next Monday to await the outcome of Marden's injuries. He was remanded to jail.

The surgeons at the hospital endeavored in vain to save Marden's life, but the bullet penetrated the liver and other vital organs and he had no chance. Marden's mother came from Neillsville to be with him in the hospital.

District Attorney Hans Hanson and Justice Saron Samdahl, with Mrs. Carl Cadby as stenographer, took Marden's statement at the hospital, Sunday. He admitted he had bought booze at Gustafson's, and had a part in the scrimmage, but was not definite in regard thereto. The officers who arrested Gustafson found a case of home-brew, which they brought in.

Gustafson came here from Montana four or five years ago and except for a few weeks during that time he has been without occupation. The officers state that he has been selling home brew, giving dances at his home, and often conducting a general rough house. He is a man about 50 years of age.

There sheriff's forces have been at the Gustafson home several times in the course of the past few months, investigation conditions. Upon one visit, a number of months ago, Deputy Sim Oakes was kicked in the ribs by Gustafson and suffered a fracture of two ribs. It was alleged at the time that Mrs. Gustafson had joined the attack on Oakes by biting him.

Marden has a wife and four children and came here from Clark County….(unreadable words)…stayed in a small hut where he had since been living, hauling wood, box factory bolts and doing work of that sort. It is said that the town of Brockway has been obliged to afford relief to the family much of the time since he came here. He was said to be a quarrelsome man, particularly when drinking, and to be a rough fighter. He was arrested last summer for assault and battery on a young man.

This is not the first fight in which Gustafson has been implicated nor the first disturbance at his home, though it is the first time that there has been gun play, so far as the officers are aware.

Marden was without means, and Gustafson no better off. The expense for surgeons, hospital bills, etc. will be borne by the taxpayers, as will all the expense of the proceedings against Gustafson. As Marden never gained a residence here and was legally a resident of Clark County, that county may have to pay his hospital bills and funeral expenses.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel