Church: Greenwood St. Mary's (New Church Dedication – 1958)
Surnames: Treacy, Daniels, Hackner, Schuh, Rondorf, Denk, , Barnes, Phillips, Eble, Potente, Guell, Boeckman, Hubert, O'Connell, Hartung, Steinle, Gries, Lindner, Syth, Cox, Neis
----Source: Greenwood Gleaner (Greenwood, Clark Co., Wis.) 22 May 1958
On Sunday, May 18, 1958, St. Mary's new Catholic Church was dedicated by the Most Rev. John Treacy, Bishop of La Crosse, who also celebrated the Pontifical High Mass at 10:45. Rev. Wm. Daniels, a former pastor, now of Chippewa Falls, delivered the sermon.
Ten members of the Fourth Degree Knights of Columbus of the Marshfield Lodge attended in a body. Rev. Father Hackner and Rev. Father Gerald Schuh were also present.
Sister Imeldis and Sister Cortillia, both of St. Rose Convent, La Crosse, were among the original group who opened St. Mary's Catholic School in Greenwood in 1913, and were present for the dedication on May 18, 1958.
Other Sisters from La Crosse were Mother M. Joan, Mother General of the Community, and Sister M. Charitina, an assistant Councillar. Corrine Denk and Patricia Rondorf, also of St. Rose's Convent, attended the dedication. Guest Sisters were present from eau Claire, Boyd and Loyal.
In the afternoon at 2:30 a reception was held, at which many of the former members of the parish attended. Dr. R.L. Barnes acted as Master of Ceremonies and called on Mr. Phillips and Eble, architects; Mr. Potente, the inter or supplier and decorator; Assemblyman Guell, Thorp; Mrs. F.A. Boeckman, Minneapolis, and sister-in-law of the first resident pastor, Rev. Father Henry Boeckman; Mrs. Katie (Neis) Hubert, Glendive, Montana; Judge W. C. O'Connell, Beaver Dam.
Relatives of Father Hartung's, who were here for the dedication, were also called upon.
A telegram was read from Roland J. Steinle, Milwaukee, this was followed by asking all of the 50 year members still residing in the parish, to take a bow. Mrs. Andrew (Katherine Gries) Lindner was then called upon for a few words, as was Mrs. Lawrence (Beulah Syth) Cox, president of St. Ann's Society, both 50 years members.
The toastmaster then called on former pastors, Father Wm. Hackner of Kendal; Father Gerald Schuh, Dorchester; Msgr. Wm. Daniels, Chippewa Falls. He then called on Rev. Father Norbert King, Loyal, Dean of Clark and Jackson Counties.
Our pastor, Rev. Father Edward F. Hartun, was asked to say a few words and he introducted the Most Reverend Bishop, who congratulated Father Hartung on his accomplishment in the past few years of building a new school, convent and church.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs