Church: Levis Presbyterian (125th Anniversary - 1981)
Surnames: Brown, Hill Oakley, McAdams
----Source: Levis 125th Anniversary Book – 1981; Provided by the Clark Co. Jailhouse Museum
May 28, 1891, Rev. Joseph Brown traveled to Dells Dam in Clark County. He reached the district in early afternoon and went straight to the “little schoolhouse” and had an interview with the teacher. He arranged to have a meeting in the evening and gave notice of the same to children to take home to their parents.
He visited with eight families that afternoon and urged them to come to the meeting. This they promised to do.
At eight o’clock the schoolhouse, lighted with four lamps brought by the people, was filled. The Rev. Brown had a short service. A Sabbath School was organized under the care of two of the best adapted to the work to be found among people. One of them was a member of the church in Neillsville.
Friday, May 29, the Rev. Brown traveled to the Canfield Schoolhouse. There was a large attendance.
Saturday, May 30th, he set out for Shortville settlement and held two services on the Sabbath, in addition to the Sabbath School service. All three were well attended, the town hall being fill each time.
March 11, 1893 – “Unfavorable surroundings” were given as the cause of the death of the Sabbath Schools. Often and suddenly these conditions changed, and, as a result, these schools were resumed in a more fruitful form This is well illustrated by the experience of the dells Dam Sabbath School which was closed for a season on account of “unfavorable surroundings”. Sometime after, a Christian family moved into the neighborhood. The mother, a noble follower of Christ, declared that if a Sabbath School could not live there, neither could her family. The school was at once resumed.
November 1, 1893 – The laying of the foundation stone of the “Oxford” Dells Dam Sabbath School Mission Chapel is worthy of being recorded. This was an event that awakened the deepest interest among the families of the district. All turned out, dressed in their best. The people formed a procession and walked to the church in the following order; Sabbath School scholars first, led by Mr. Oakley, an elder of the Presbyterian Church of Neillsville, the Rev. Joseph Brown and then the mothers and fathers.
Suitable services occupied the day, two hours being set aside for dinner and social get together. The people did well, having out of their small means, subscribed $300.00 for the church. Grand help came to them from the children and young people of the Oxford Presbyterian Church of Philadelphia, they having given $100.00 and an organ. They also promised to send 100 books for the library.
November 18 and 19 1893 were days which will be memorable to the people in the district of Dells Dam, for on these days the dedication of the new chapel took place. The weather was all that could be desired, the services were well attended, much appreciated and conducted by Rev. T.C. Hill, Mr. Oakley, both of Neillsville, assisted by Rev. Joseph Brown, Sabbath School Missionary.
Mrs. McAdams and Mrs. Oakley of Neillsville took charge of the musical part of the program, and delighted the people with sweet strains from the organ which was so kindly present to them.
On Saturday the people were entertained at a sumptuous dinner provided by the good housewives of the districts.
The Chapel, which is neat and well-furnished and capable of accommodating over 100 people, cost $404.00. The Sabbath School of Wennonah, New Jersey will furnish it with 60 chairs. A hearty THANK YOU to these kind friends.
June 20, 1897, Rev Brown attended the Children’s Day Service at 10 o’clock a.m. at Shortville. Some 300 persons attended, then he drove 10 miles to Dells Dam to attend the Children’s Day services at 3 p.m. He then drove another 8 miles to another service in the Chapel of the Prince of Peace in Pine Valley.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs