News: Spencer History - Lawyers
Surnames: Cole, Barney, Gardiner, Follette, Upson, Day, Benson, Hoerl, Kamp, Fishcer
Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 – 1974)
In the 1880's, A. B. Barney and J. F. Cole, both attorneys-at-law, had offices over Gardiner's Store. Attorney Cole also acted as an collection agent, he moved to Marshfield after the fire of 1886 and practiced there for years.
G. E. Follette was also an early Spencer lawyer.
A Mr. Upson (called Judge Upson), while not a qualified lawyer, took care of many legal matters for farmers.
For a long interval Spencer was without an attorney until John Day came here in 1957 and set up an office in the Spencer State Bank building. A graduate of the University of Wisconsin Law School, he began practice with Ken Benson of Marshfield. Later he joined the firm of Hoerl, Day and Kamps.
Attorney Day's office is now in a newly remodeled building on LaSalle Street across from the Post Office. His employee, Ron Fischer, divides his time between Loyal and Spencer.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs