News: Spencer History –
Surnames: Pickett, Ballas, Brown, Bruesewitz, Christiansen, Cramer, Foss, Freeman, Groh, Hable, Harvey, Hoops, Huber, Krause, Krueger, Lambert, Mann, Oelrich, Orgish, Parrette, Raabe, Reas, Ringquist, Sells, Vanderhoof, Weis, Meinders, McVean, Hebert
Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 – 1974)
The American Legion is a patriotic organization of veterans, whose national charter was granted by Congress in September 1919 and was headquartered at Indianapolis. Between 1918 and 1942 membership was limited to American soldiers, sailors, marines and nurses who served in World War I. The charter has since been amended to include all members of the Armed Forces during time of war or conflict. The Legion itself is made up of the Post, County Council, District, State and National organizations. Throughout the years the American Legion has been actively concerned in obtaining care and aid for the disabled veterans and dependent children.
The American Legion Lee F. Pickett Post No. 298 was chartered January 15, 1922 with the following Charter Members: John Ballas, Harold Brown, Louis Bruesewitz, James Christiansen, Charles Cramer, Albert Foss, Chester Freeman, Gust Groh, John Hable, Robert Harvey, Herbert Hoops, Edward Huber, Robert Krause, George Krueger, Elmer Lambert, John P. Mann, William Oelrich, Carl Orgish, John Orgish, Ray Parrette, Werner Raabe, John Reas, Anton Ringquist Alfred W. Sells, Guy Vanderhoof, Munson Vanderhoof, John P. Weis, and William Weis.
Early records are unavailable, but meetings were held monthly in the G. A. R. Hall where the regular business of the Post was conducted and good comradeship enjoyed. The primary concern of the Post then as now has been the legislation of bills beneficial to veterans and aid to any local veteran needing assistance in obtaining his pension or any other form of aid.
About 1928 the Woman's Relief Corps turned their hall over to the Legion Post with the provision that they be permitted to use it for their meetings. In 1939 the Post members, with the help of others in the community, tore down the old hall and replaced it with a rustic style building made of logs. In 1969 or 1970 this property was traded to Jensen's Motors for a building on LaSalle Street where they now meet each month. Various organizations use it for bake and rummage sales and the Jaycees meet there regularly.
Present officers are: Commander, Dick Meinders; Vice Commander, Eugene McVean; Adjutant, Don Hebert; Chaplain and Service Officer, Munson Vanderhoof.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs