News: Spencer History – Spencer Cemetery Association


Surnames: Tilden, Swarthout, Kuehnow, Corbett, Burnett, Driscoll, Ayers, Putnam, Oelrich, Rux, Hinkelman, Ring

Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 – 1974)

In 1878 the Town of Spencer purchased five acres of land from William Tilden to be used for cemetery purposes. In 1920 the Spencer Cemetery Association was organized. Edgar Johnston was elected secretary. On July 12, 1940, a meeting was held in the American Legion Hall to reorganize the Association. The following Trustees were elected: B. C. Swarthout, President; Mrs. B. C. Swarthout, Secretary/Treasurer, Mrs. Maude Kuehnow, Vice President; Frank Corbett, Ben Burnett, Lawrence Driscoll, Mrs. Jonas Ayers.

The name would remain the Spencer Cemetery Association. The association would be incorporated with deeds of lots being placed on record at the County Seat in Neillsville. Perpetual care would be S50.00 per lot; annual dues would be $1.50, payable before May 15 of each year. The annual meeting and election would be held on the second Tuesday of June.

At its annual meeting on April 1, 1941 the Town of Spencer voted to deed to the Spencer Cemetery Association all rights and title to the land owned by said town, laying in the Town of Sherman, Clark County, and known as the Spencer Cemetery Association, and any money in the town treasury belonging to the Cemetery Association with the provision that, if necessary, the Town of Spencer could reserve a plot of ground on the east side of the north half for burial of paupers in their township.

In 1941, 15 acres of land was purchased from Frank Putnam for the cemetery and in 1943 another purchase of 20 acres from him was made, bringing the total to its present acreage of about 40 acres.
B. C. Swarthout spent a great deal of time and effort in the locating of the graves so that they could be recorded and in the making of a map of the cemetery. The upkeep of the cemetery had been neglected but after the reorganization in 1940, the elected directors and those who followed have helped to restore the cemetery to its present appearance.

Mr. and Mrs. Swarthout served on the board until 1969. Ben Burnett served as trustee until his death in
1970. Frank Putnam was sexton for 20 years, followed by Fred Oelrich who served for 32 years. His son, Willard, then served until his death in 1971. Mrs. Ronald Rux is the present Secretary/treasurer and Alfred Hinkelman is the sexton.

It is believed that Susannah Ring was the first person to be buried in the cemetery.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel