News: Spencer History – Boy
Surnames: Borth, Gruenwald, Koehler, Blanchard, Fritsch, Thomas, Frinkbeiner, Reinholz, Flink, Staege, Bauer, Burke, Graves, Fravert, Neuenfeldt, Neidlein, Gerdes, Wichman, Hasting, Hinrichsen, Jacobitz
Source: Spencer Centennial Book (1874 – 1974)
The Boy Scouts of America in Spencer were organized in 1938 and 1939 as Troop 687 under the sponsorship of the American legion. J. R. Thomas was the first Scoutmaster. Through the years the scouts have been led by M. J. Fritsch, Alfred Borth, Clarence Grunewald, Dr. F. H. Koehler, Robert Blanchard, Earl Finkbeiner, Earl Reinholz, Walter Flink, J. W. Staege, Donald Bauer, John Burke, and the present Scout Master, Michael Graves. The troop has been sponsored by the American Legion, Lions Club, Junior Woman's Club and Parent Teachers Association. The present institutional sponsor is the Jaycees.
From newspaper news items, we find notes of early Scouting activity:
July, 1952 -James Koehler, Edward Fravert, John Neuenfeldt, and William (Bill) Neidlein spent a week at the Boy Scout Camp at Chicagamie, near Amherst.
November 26, 1953 - A poultry party was held Wednesday evening, November 18, in the Municipal Hall co-sponsored by the Boy Scouts, Junior Woman's Club, and the Spencer Lions Club.
December 9, 1953 -- The Cub Scout packs were formed the first part of December, 1953, at a meeting of the parents and North Wood County District Scout officials. The formation of the Cub Scout Packs took place after the parent's night Pancake Supper, sponsored by the Junior Woman's Club and Boy Scout Troop 87 at the Spencer High School Cafeteria. Following the supper the Scouts entertained with skits, games, and demonstrations. The highlight of the evening was the magic tricks performed by John Gerdes.
The present organization of Troop 687 consists of 17 members. The Adult Committee members are Floyd Wichman, Chairman; Darreld Hasting, Robert Hinrichsen, and Spencer D. Graves, treasurer.
The troop is composed of three patrols which are the Indian patrol, with John Burke Jr. as the patrol leader, and the Bear Patrol, with Jim Day as the Patrol leader. The Senior Patrol leader is Neil Jacobitz. Troop 687 is part of the Ojibwa District which is a part of the Samoset Council, headquartered in Wausau.
The purpose of the committee members is to assist the Scoutmaster in the Scouting program.
Boy Scout Troop 687 has had many projects as a group and each month boys personally participate in the project. Each scout is awarded scout merit badges as each project is completed. This produces a constructive program of great merit in molding a well-rounded citizen, with admirable qualities that make for good citizenship and faithfulness to God and Country.
The troop is self-supporting through such functions as door-to-door selling of items, Chili Supper (served annually in February), and bake sales. The residents of the village have wholeheartedly given support. The money earned from these projects has gone toward the purchase of troop supplies and equipment and that big event each summer, which is the week-long camping trip at Camp Tesomas, near Rhinelander. The troop has had many weekend camping jamborees and fun days such as swimming and tobogganing. At present a canoe trip is being planned for the summer of 1974. All these things play a part in molding the character of a Boy Scout into self-sufficiency; a minute man of the present day. With God's help, Troop 687 will continue in the future: and will turn out good citizens, who may be leaders in this great country of ours and a credit to the society in which we live.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs