News: Curtiss – Early History
Surnames: Parks, Hewett, Green, Block, Machlett, Kraut, Laabs, Boehm, Reibsamen, Peterman, Fahrenbach, Stumer
----Source: Olson Family Scrapbook
The village of Curtiss was platted November 17, 1882, having been surveyed by Edwin Parks. The first steps towards incorporation were taken in 1914. A census was taken by B. B. Green, September 10 and the survey made by S.F. Hewett in October. The application was made October 14, 1914 and was signed by B. B. Green, Charles Block, Henry Machlett, Frank Kraut, Albert Laabs, and Merman Boehm. The petition was granted November 25, 1914, and the charter election was held at the old schoolhouse in Curtiss.
The judges and inspectors were F. W. Laabs, Glen Reibsamen, and B. B. Green. Votes were cast to decide if Curtiss should incorporate. Thirty-six votes were cast; the ayes numbering 33 and the nays numbering 3, for the petition to the circuit court signed by Herman Boehm, Henry Machlett, Frank Kraut, Albert Laabs, Charles Block, and B. B. Green. This was after examination of all papers in the case. Judge James O'Neill declared incorporation null and void February 1, 1917.
On February 5, 1918, a new petition was signed by B. B. Green, T. B. Peterman, Henry Machlett, Wm. Fahrenbach, John Stumer, Herman Boehm, Charles Block, F. W. Laabs, and Glen Reibsamen.
The petition was granted March 30, 1917. The judges elected were B. B. Green, Glen Reibsamen, and F. W. Laabs. On April 24 forty one votes were cast. The proposition was decided favorably, 32 for and 9 against incorporation.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs