News: Curtiss - Barbers (Late
1800's - ?)
Surnames: Moore, Janz, Hoge, Tonn, Bertrum, Klemetson, Perry, Lipprandt, Laabs, Ankney, Webb, Buckle, Tuttle, Gillette, Cisco, Lokken, Krause, Givson, Harmel, House
----Source: Olson Family Scrapbook
The building formerly the Anna Tonn residence, east of the bank building, was built in the late 1800's by a Mr. Moore. It was sold to Janz and Hoge for a meat market. It was later sold to Art Tonn for a residence. Then to Frank Tonn, who used it for a saloon. Later, it was the White Store, confectionary and ice cream parlor, operated by Mr. and Mrs. Frank Tonn.
Tonn's Tavern building was originally located between the present Geary residence and the Ink. it was then moved to east of the bank and remodeled. At one time, the Tonn's Tavern building was occupied as a barber shop. Previous to moving the building from the location north of the bank to where it is now, the land was occupied by a two-story building that was used as a blacksmith shop and paint shop. The paint shop was operated by Ed Bertrum. Louis Schroeder and Morris Klemetson operated the blacksmith shop at various times.
The third building east of the bank, a shoe store and repair shop was operated by A.J. Perry. This was also used as a barber shop in the mid-1920's.
Tonn's Tavern was operated by Anna Tonn until the mid-sixties. Then Walter and Marian Lipprandt operated it as Wally's Bar and Restaurant, until the business closed. The buildings are no longer in use.
Many barbers served the village of Curtiss. They were: Albert Laabs, Leon Ankney, G. Webb, Mr. Buckle, Frances Tuttle, Mr. Gillette, George Cisco, John Lokken, Mr. Krause, Mr. Givson, Art Harmel and Howard House.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs