News:  Curtiss, WI - Huge Train Wreck (Feb 1900)

Transcriber:  Janet

Surnames:  Warner, Rogers, Poole, Andress, Lamont, Pfefferkorn, Brower, Ostenson, Thorn, Seboe, Phillips, Frankly, King, Hautsinger, Samuels, Prelong, Cook

----Source:  The St. Paul Globe (22 Feb 1900)


 The St. Paul and Minneapolis day express, of the Wisconsin Central line, which left Chicago at 2:50 yesterday morning and was due at 5 in the afternoon, was derailed and wrecked three miles west of Curtiss, Wis. The accident occurred about 11 o'clock In the forenoon, and every car in the train left the track, the engine alone keeping the rails. Seventeen persons were injured, several dangerously, and were taken to Chippewa Falls The list is as follows:

E. H. Warner, Portage, back Injured slightly.

John R. Rogers, Neillsville, Wis., cut on head, badly bruised. Probably fatal. Mrs. Harriet Rogers, Neillsville, bruised and left hand hurt slightly.

C. G. Poole, Detroit, Mich., with Henry Newell & Co., bruised in back and left leg slightly bruised. May die.

H. G. Andress, Marshfield, Wis., bruised slightly in back and right leg.

D. R. Lamont, 191 Monroe street, Chicago, right leg injured slightly.

Rev. G. J. Pfefferkorn, Chippewa Falls, bruised slightly.

Miss Fannie Brower, Minneapolis, Minn., right hand and left arm bruised slightly.

Miss Ella Ostenson, Curtiss, Wis., right hand cut by glass.

Arne G. Seboe, Claster, Neb., right hand, face and chin cut.

George Thorn, Curtiss, Wis., left arm scratched slightly.

Charles Phillips, Black River Falls, Wis., ltft leg and side and back bruised.

William Frankly, Chicago, Ill., right leg bruised slightly below knee.

Andrew King, Centralia, Wis., cut over eye and lip and right ankle sprained.

John Hautsinger, employee, Stevens' Point, Wis.. back injured slightly.

M. Samuels, residence unknown, back and right ankle sprained.

Mrs. Eugene Pelong, Little Falls, Minn., bruised.

A dispatch from Chippewa Falls, report stated that all the coaches were still in the ditch, though the track had been cleared. Another train was made up and the passengers were brought through eight hours late, reaching St. Paul shortly after 1 o'clock this morning. The wreck was caused by spreading of the rails, which ditched the train. As soon as the news reached Curtiss, Wis., the physicians of the town at once went to the scene of the wreck and rendered prompt medical and surgical assistance. The engineer and fireman escaped without injuries. A special train, carrying four surgeons from Chippewa Falls and numerous assistants, was sent out from .there at 2:30 p. m. and provisions made for carrying the passengers to that city. The train arrived there at 8 p. m. with the injured.

The through passengers who were on the wrecked train arrived In St. Paul at 1 o'clock this morning. By this time some of them who thought they had escaped without injury began to feel the effects of bruises and the severe shaking up they received, though none complained of serious injury. Arne Seboe, of Robbinsdale, Wis.,- enroute to Closter, Neb., showed the most serious effects of the wreck. His head and hands were plentifully bandaged on account of cuts and scratches from broken glass. Mr. Seboe was in the smoking car, the third of the train, when the accident happened. The coach was dragged some distance on its side and the broken glass flew In all directions. Mr. Seboe was cut about the head and had two deep wounds on his face, one on the cheek and another on the chin. Arthur Cook, of Menasha, Wis., was at a table in the dining car when the wreck occurred. He was thrown about the car with great force, but beyond a few bruises, escaped unhurt. Said he, speaking of the accident: "The train was running about thirty five miles an hour, when suddenly there was a crWn4injt and crashing' ahead and before we realized what had happened our car went over on the side. Everyone was tumbled roughly about, but the half dozen others In the dining car beside my self were not hurt. Our car was not dragged very far, but was torn from the trucks and considerably damaged. The trainmen thought the wreck was caused by spreading rails. The forward coaches were damaged more than the others, as they were dragged further. All of the coaches left the rails and tumbled down a six-foot embankment Several turned over two or three times. The engine all but left the track, only having -the front trucks on the rails after it stopped. The engineer remained In his cab, but the fireman jumped into a snow. bank. lift was unhurt. The mail clerk also jumped from his car and escaped uninjured.

William Gillette is a native of Hart, their trucks and the track for 200 feet was torn up. Most of the injuries to passengers were due to broken glass and were more In the nature of cuts and scratches, rather than broken limbs or more dangerous cuts. The accident happened shortly after 12 o'clock and it was nearly 6 o'clock before the special train started on through. The injured per sons were taken to Chippewa Falls as quickly as possible, while physicians were soon at the scene of the accident, caring for those who appeared to be more seriously hurt. For an accident of the kind the passengers in general were in deed thankful to escape as lightly as most of them did. It was remarkable that more persons were hot badly hurt, or, perhaps, killed."

Mr. Cook repaired to the Ryan hotel, where he hopes by today to get over several minor sprains and injuries.



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel