for the All Saints Polish Catholic Independent Church
to the burial grounds--2003
Index of Burials
South center of section 27
Eastern center of section 27
This partial index, compiled by Genealogical Volunteers,
is provided free of charge for non-profit uses.
Respect the rights of the transcribers and do not repost it on any commercial
sites or copy it without permission.
Clark Co., WI Internet Library Home
Withee Township research page.
Withee Township Map cemetery locations map.
Search the Clark
Search the Cemetery
Tombstone Photos are available upon
spreadsheets contain a large amount of information and may take several
minutes to display. This data was obtained from cemetery, church & family
records, tombstone photos, obituaries, social security records, numerous
cemetery walk-throughs, as well as Clark County, Wisconsin biographical
and historical records from 1881, 1891 & 1918. The accuracy of the data
varies and may include errors. If you have
additions or corrections,
please contact us. If you can not find a desired obituary in the ALHN
database to verify the entry, you may wish to order a micro-film of
a Neillsville newspaper from the time frame you are researching. The
available newspapers can
be requested from the Wisconsin State Historical through your local
library. Please consider submitting any newly acquired items to the
ALHN Records Board. If you have a bit of extra time, why not type a
few unrelated items as a random act of kindness to future researchers?
Members of the All Saints Polish Independent Catholic Church
Polish Independent Church
What began with a little misunderstanding turned into a schism which
still exists to the present day in the area. Many reasons may have their
validity for the rise and growth of the schism. In the opinion of the
writer, the primary cause could have been the turbulent period of nationalism,
ignorance, the new life in this country, the antagonism towards the
clergy due to the feudal system in Poland as well as the language difficulties.
The dissenters first met at the Valentine Malecki log cabin as recalled
by the daughter Elsie. Mrs. Malecki was very hurt with the whole idea,
but the plight of women in those days was submission completely to the
will of the husband. The daughter relates the frequent prayers of the
mother to return to St. Hedwig’s Church, prayers that were answered
in later years, as the mother and children returned to the true church.
The small group of about 25 families finally built a small wooden church.
They petitioned the Most Rev. Schwebach to make this a Catholic Parish
and send them a priest. Even in those days it was not logical for the
Bishop to accede to their wishes with St. Hedwig’s Church, a mission
at the time, only two miles away. Angered at the unwillingness of the
Bishop to work in their favor, they finally build a small wooden church,
two miles east of the present St. Hedwig’s country church, on the land
that now belongs to the Hoffman family. For two years they tried desperately
to locate a priest but failed. In the meantime, a Mr. Glish and Mr.
Feliks Mikolainis carried on the “worship service.” Finally on May 30,
1897 they became known as an “Independent Church.” The first President
of the group was Philip Jasinski, secretary, John Kurtinaitis; treasurer
Feliks Mikolainis. The little parish was first named “All Saints Roman
Catholic Church” but later became “All Saints Independent Church.” Land
for the church was donated by Anton Malinowski to the amount of two
acres. The following were the first parishioners of the Polish Independent
Church: John Glish, Philip Jasinski, Anton Raczykowski, Joseph Bogumil,
Anton Malinowski, Valentine Malecki, Mike Marcinkowski, John Grajkowski,
Joseph Prymas, John Gurbacki, Leon Prawineski, Paul Polanszek, Frank
Nowobileski, Frank Zwolinski, Clement Holaburta, Joseph Gaska, L. Glamkowski,
Felix Mikolainis, Joseph Ryterski, Marcely Karpinski, John Zuzelski,
Anton Pendriegalski, Frank Pasternacki, Peter Glysz, Julian Fijalkowski,
Jacob Biskupski, Julian Luzinski, (information received from Mr. Hucker
from the original books of the Independent church. Fortuanately with
the grace of God and the many prayers of families, many of these returned
to the original and mother church, St. Hedwig’s, by 1909.
The first Bishop of this church was Anton Kozlowski, of Chicago, the
first priest to visit the church was Vincent Zaleski of the Polish national
Church. The Thorp Courier early editions record weddings and funerals
that took place from this church. The Independents also had their own
cemetery which still exists west of the Ted Papierniak farm. One may
still read the tombstones that stand near there. Mrs Hucker who has
a farm near by, cares for this cemetery. Mr. Valentine Malecki is buried
on this cemetery. The Independent church ran dances and other events
to raise money for its support. During the week of Nov. 25, 1897, the
Thorp Courier reports: “about $35 being realized by the large attendance”
at a dance.
At this time also it is worth mentioning as quoted in the April 26,
1900 edition of the Thorp Courier, “a celebration in honor of an ancient
personage named Pusias, who preached to the Lithuanians over 2000 years
ago was held at the home of Felix Mikolainis in the Town of Withee on
Sunday last. Speeches, declamations, dancing, singing, and a social
dinner was the order and enjoyed by all present.” The paper continued:
“The attendance was about 30 persons.” One can gather from this news
item that the Lithuanian community was strong and enjoyed their traditional
and native customs in the new land.
As many people who temporarily left St. Hedwig’s began to return to
their mother church, the funds and support of the Independent Church
decreased and it was difficult to maintain it. By 1925 the church and
rectory were moved to the Leneski farm at Sterling Corners, where it
was used for a granary. In 1940 the buildings burned to the ground.
About this time St. Mary’s Polish National Catholic Church in Lublin
began its operation as the handful of members from this area became
members of the Lublin church. Small religious articles were taken by
Rev. Klos to Washington, Pennsylvania, while the organ, pews and books
were moved to St. Mary’s Polish National Catholic Church in Lublin,
One elderly person, who today is deceased, told the author that many
of the families that joined the Independent Church returned quickly
to St. Hedwig’s Church in 1897 because they were shocked and horrified
at a sermon preached by a visiting priest from Chicago at the National
Church. The preacher condemned the Catholic Church by screaming: “Precz
Rzymem – Away with the Catholic Church of Rome.” Many of the people
could not have their heart and soul in a church that was condemning
the Catholic Church they loved so much. Only one thing remained for
them, namely to reconcile with the true church.
Meantime as the split developed in 1895, Father Jachminiak continued
to attend to the needs of St. Hedwig’s Parish and offering the sacrifice
of the Mass and other services twice monthly.
During his administration the first recorded burial in the books took
place at the parish and cemetery. On March 1, 1894 Holy Mass was offered
for the repose of Stephen Rutkowski and burial took place at St. Hedwig’s
cemetery. One July 25th of the same year, Anna Moronczyk died at the
age of 38 and was buried on July 28th in the new cemetery. On December
1st, 38 year old Michael Deniszkiewicz, killed by a falling tree, was
buried by father Jachminiak.
In March of 1896, Father Jachminiak, who for almost three years served
St. Hedwig’s Parish, was relieved of his duties sad and disappointed.
He was succeeded by Father Constantine Frydrychowicz as pastor of St.
Hedwig’s. The parish lost its status as a mission and now officially
became a parish with a resident Pastor.
This is family history
without backup paperwork. Helena(My Great-Aunt) died of a highchair
fall. Her parent's Antoni & Anna Malinowski (you'll find them in 1900
census) and Helena's 3 older siblings Joe, Rose, Ed & her grandmother
Rosa Skinder were living in Thorp at the time. After her death Antoni
donated land for the Polish Independent Church & in 1903 moved away
from the area to WA to leave the sadness behind.