Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
July 17, 1996, Page 32
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Good Old Days
By Dee Zimmerman
July 1881: Holverson & Tolford received their bus from Milwaukee last Saturday and it is now making regular trips to and from trains. Neillsville now presents quite a metropolitan appearance with two first-class omnibuses flying between the village and depot upon the arrival and departure of two daily passenger trains. (The horse-drawn omnibus was built with seating for three or more passengers.)
If you want to see a model stack of hay, just look at the one recently built on Bruley’s place on Church Street. The hay is of a variety especially for fast horses. (North east side of Neillsville)
Twelve or fifteen new buildings that have just been completed and being built can be counted from the dome of the court house.
The two important events in the life of mean are when he examines his upper lip and sees the hair coming, and when he examines the top of his head and sees the hair going.
There was quite a crowd assembled on Humbird streets Friday night to watch Jimmie Thomas, a lad of seven years walk a rope in front of Andrews Hall after which there was entertainment, the music being under the management of Prof. Owen, the celebrated violinist.
B. J. Brown, from the new town of Withee came down the Greenwood with a load of wool and says, “The good words of holy writ are being verified, where it says, ‘Sow and ye shall reap’” all is looking toward a bountiful harvest.
Work on Canon Bro’s new saw mill in the Town of Washburn is progressing finely and with favorable weather they think they will be ready to saw lumber in three weeks. (Could that have been on Cannonville corner and the namesake of the community?)
July 1906: The Neillsville Bank and the Commercial State Bank each held their annual meeting on July 3rd. The Neillsville Bank was founded in 1879 and was organized as a State Bank in 1883. Present officers area as follows: President – Chas. F. Grow; Vice Pres. – W. L. Hemphill; Cashier – Jos. Morely; Ass’t. Cashier – Carl Stange; Directors – C. F. Grow, W. L. Hemphill, Jos. Morely, Thos. Lowe, H. A. North and D. Dickinson. The Commercial State Bank was founded in 1898. Present officers are: President – S. M. Marsh; Vice Pres. Chas. Cornelius; Cashier – H. M. Root; Ass’t Cashie4r – E. H. Schoengarth; Directors – A. F. Radke, S. M. Marsh, A. B. Marsh, C. Cornelius and H. M. Root.
Teachers’ Institute of two week will be held in the Neillsville high school building, beginning July 23. Prof. H. C. Buel of Janesville is to be in charge of the work, and he will be assisted by Miss Martha Dockery of Richland Center and Prof. D. A. Schwartz of Colby. Every person who intends to teach in Clark County the coming year will be expected to attend this institute. Board may be obtained at private houses at a reasonable rate.
July 1936: A week ago, the Country Club Tavern, owned by Ernest Snyder and Albert Kreisch, and located six miles west of the city on Highway 10, was completely destroyed by fire about six o’clock on Saturday evening.
The fire started when a pan of fat, left in the oven, boiled over and became ignited while the cook was preparing to bake a cake. The cook while attempting to carry out the flaming pan of fat, the flames forced him to drop it and the burning fat spread over the floor and splashed up on the walls. An attempt to extinguish the flames with water only aggravated the flames. The wooden structure burned quickly.
A crowd of approximately 2,000 attended the opening of the Clark County Memorial Park, at Owen, Saturday. The park is located on the Popple River one and a half miles north and three miles east of Owen, on the north Curtiss road.
The old dam which provided only limited swimming space was torn out and replaced by a new dam, the site of which is about 200 feet further down the river from the old one.
Art Stadler has provided for the lighting of the park by generous donations of the facilities of his lighting plant.
The new Silver Dome Supper Club, also known as Keller’s Fireside, features these dining specials: ˝ Milk Fed Spring Chicken - 75˘; Extra Fine Steak - $1.00; Chop Suey - 40˘; Chow Mein - 60˘.
Wisconsin Centennial celebration starts here in Clark County in a few days.
Suda Cheese Factory – Additional information was given to us in regard to the Suda Bros. or Wildwood Cheese Factory.
The factory building and business was built and developed by William Gerlach, located five miles west of Longwood (on N), one mile south and one mile west. The Oakland school was on the same intersection.
Mandy and Louie Suda married sisters, Mary and Jennie. The two couples purchased the Wildwood Cheese Factory in 1931.
Along with the cheese factory, was a grocery store, tavern and gasoline sales with a pump in front of the building. As one of the previous owners stated, “We were kept very busy – there was a lot of work to be done each day.” The cheese operation made cheddar and Colby cheese.
During the “milk strike” of the 30’s, their factory was broken into, and the faucets on all three milk tanks were opened – the contents emptied, lost. That was the time of the Depression when businesses had “rough going,” so the loss of that much milk added to their financial stress as the patrons still had to be paid.
After fourteen years in the business, the two Suda couples sold the Wildwood Cheese Factory.
The George Foelsh cheese factory,
located in the Town of Beaver, six and a half miles north of Loyal and 2 miles east on Riplinger Road, operated until the mid 50’s.
North of Granton, on Cty Hwy “K” and Pelsdorf – Timberlane Roads intersection was a Town of York cheese factory owned and operated by Breseman.
Gruenke’s Dairy was on a corner of Meridian Road and Cty Hwy “H”, northeast of Granton
One of the Laabs Cheese Co. plants was at Curtiss
The Lone Pine Cheese Factory and a grocery store, owned by Frank Meske, was along Cty Hwy “N”, on boundary line of Reseburg and Longwood townships.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs