Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI
July 3, 1996, Page 21
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Good Old Days
By Dee Zimmerman
On the 100th Anniversary of July 4th, a special program was planned by Clark County Citizens.
Clark County Republican & Press
“The Fourth” A Glorious Time Anticipated – At a meeting of the committee appointed by the citizens to perfect arrangements for celebrating the coming Fourth of July, Mr. James Hewett was elected chairman and E. L. Hoffman, secretary. Members of the committee were all present. After a free and thorough discussion of the subjects in question, it was decided to hold the celebration in Blakeslee’s grove, opposite John Reed’s, with a picnic dinner, and a dance at the Courthouse in the evening, extending a cordial invitation to every man, woman and child in Clark County to participate. A special invitation is extended to military companies, fire departments and all benevolent or beneficial orders to appear in procession as respective organizations. Procession will form on Main Street at 11:30 a.m., the order of which will be given hereafter. The following appointments were made: B. F. French, President of the Day.
The chairman of each town was made a Vice President, with the request that they prepare or have prepared a short historical sketch of their respective towns to be read as a part of the exercises.
John B. Jones, Marshal, with power to appoint his own assistants.
John D. Dore: to write up a complete history of the county to be read in place of the usual “Declaration of Independence.”
Rev. B. E. Wheelar will deliver the oration, and Rev. Harvey Plamer will act as Chaplain.
E. Brule, Gunner, with power to appoint his own assistants.
The Loyal celebration of the 4th was a big success, with speech, music, races, ball game, fireworks, dance, etc., and Neillsville contributed a full hundred of happy and “celebritious” people to the attendance. Our baseball club was there, 22 to 6; which we are proud of for the Loyal bunters did “wonderful well.” Loyal was proud that day and Neillsville is proud of Loyal, as is all of Clark County. It is a live, energetic little town, and when it starts into celebrating American Independence you may smile your belief that they will do it.
July 2, 1896
An old Settler Passes Away – A. W. Clark was stricken with paralysis Saturday last, at his home in Pine Valley and died at 1 a.m. Monday, the 27th. The funeral took place Tuesday, conducted by Rev. T. C. Hill, who gave an eloquent and philosophic address. The large gathering of friends testified to the esteem in which he was held. He was a man of high Character, genial in his dealings with is fellow men, honest himself, and exact in his insistence upon honesty in others. He was a prosperous, careful farmer, a good husband and father, a model citizen.
He leaves a wife, daughter, Mrs. Edith Sawyer of Menominee, Mich., and three sons, Gid and Perry of Rhinelander, and Will, who lives at home. These and Gid’s wife and daughter were present.
Mr. Clark’s brother, Moses Clark, came here about the year 1850, built the saw mill on Cunningham Creek and shipped lumber to Platteville. Along late in the 50’s Moses Clark, after whom the county was named, was shot by one Polley, in an encounter at a store located about where Frank Darling’s store is, and after some delay was taken to Platteville, where he died. A. W. Clark then came from Platteville to run the mill for the father, who had inherited the property, and finally became the owner himself. At one time the Clarks owned vast tracks of pine, but did not hold it long enough to realize the princely fortunes which others secured later.
Albert Webster Clark was born thirty miles from Boston at Milford, Mass., in 1830. At the age of ten years he came to Platteville, Wis. where he received his education and learned the hardware business.
In 1848, he came to this county remaining two years. In 1852, he married Miss Mary Vineyard. They crossed the plains to California in ’54 returning by water in ’57, and settled in Clark County, lumbering in the early days. The last twelve years, his attention was given entirely to farming. (Moses Clark built a dam and saw mill that was located about 400 feet east of the present site of the Highway 73/95 Bridge that crosses Cunningham Creek).
June 24, 1926
Recent area marriages were: Alice Jean Meddaugh and Harry Herman Kissling in Town of Grant. The bride graduated from Neillsville High School in class of 1924 and has taught school successfully for the past two years. The groom was brought up on his father’s farm in the Town of Grant and they will make their home on the Kissling farm.
Miss Nina Wren, Town of Pine Valley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Tom Wren, and Mr. Clarence Rush of Merrillan, were quietly married June 19 at the M.E. parsonage. They will live in Merrillan.
Miss Lillian Irene Crockett and Mr. Max Opelt, Jr. were married at the Congregational parsonage in Neillsville on June 17 by Rev. G. W. Longnecker. They were attended by Allen and Avis Crockett, brother and sister of the bride. After the ceremony the bridal party drove to the home of the bride’s parents, Mr. and Mrs. O. A. Crockett, in the Town of Washburn, where a fine supper was served for the relatives of the bride and groom. The groom is an active and industrious young farmer. He will carry on the home farm, which he has bought from his parents. The bride graduated from Neillsville High School in 1924 and has taught school with success since then.
Things to do – dance at Christie Hall, June 30. Music by Midnight Entertainers
Jr. Band of Granton will give a free concert on the Village streets, June 23.
Old Time Dance at Will Syth’s barn, June 24. Music by Wagner’s Orchestra
Dance at Martin Kuraz’s barn on June 24. Music by 6 pieces orchestra
July 4th dance at Riverside Park on Monday, July 5th. Bring your lunch and spend the day.
Big Barn Dance at Pischer’s barn, June 29
We asked for help in identifying some photos in last week’s “Good Old Days” page and did have a response about three of the factories.
Bymer’s Dairy was located east of Loyal, on Hwy. 98 to Cty. Hwy. “Y”, then about three miles south on “Y”.
South Green Grove cheese factory was owned by a Mandel. It was located 8 miles north of Loyal on Hwy. K & P, then ¼ mile east.
The Erwin H. Witt cheese factory was in the Reseburg community, off Hwy. 73, west on Hwy. “N”.
Thanks for your input!
The C. N. Olson Cheese Factory was located somewhere in Clark County
The Martin factory as it appeared in the late 30’s, was north of Riplinger
This small cheese plant was owned by Rudolph Wahlen
Another Laabs Cheese Factory within the county, west of Abbotsford
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs