Clark County Press, Neillsville, WI

August 20, 1997, page 18

Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.

Index of "Oldies" Articles 


Good Old Days


Compiled by Dee Zimmerman

Clark County News

August 1877


Robert French’s new hotel at Hatfield will soon be completed and ready for business.


Several people from this area have been helping in the chicken harvest in adjoining counties during the past week.


It has been left to the inventive genius of Phil Welch to discover a way to rid land of stumps.  He proposes to take a pile driver and drive the stumps in the ground.


A Vermonter fell dead while carrying in an armful of wood.  Wives who don’t want to be widows should be careful with allowing their husbands to do such work.


Austin & Co.’s Mill has been running on newly harvested wheat, this last week.  Gates & Son are milling flour from the new wheat.


Quite a number of townspeople enjoyed a picnic at French’s farm, last Thursday.


The brick work on George Lloyd’s new building is about completed, with the exception of the cornice.


Chance for Bargains – Ed Wason has purchased H. M. Weston’s business at Greenwood and will add a large selection of new goods to the recently purchased in-stock merchandise.


Gov. Ludington has appointed C. A. Youmans, of this village, to be County Judge, to fill the vacancy due to the resignation of Judge McBride.


There has been considerable sickness among the area folks this past week.  Be careful of your health during the next few weeks, unless you be part of a funeral.


Mead, Marshall & Co., of the Town of Warner, respectfully announces to the farmers of Clark County, they have purchased a threshing machine.  It is of most improved patents and the best in use.  They are prepared to thresh any and all kinds of grain in a manner to give satisfaction.  The rates are lower than any before given in the county, six dollars per setting.


W. C. Allen has opened an office in Jaseph’s building for the transaction of real estate.


About three weeks ago, a German family named Lusderman (Lindermann, see note below), living near the village of Dorchester, lost all their children – seven in number – of diphtheria, within a few days. 


August 1917

Dr. Warren Bradbury has received an appointment under the government to be examiner of naval enlistment’s and is stationed at Toledo, Ohio.


Bring your extra magazines and books to the city library and they will be forwarded to Camp Douglas.


Persons, who can give board and rooms for high school students in return for work, please report to some member of the school board.  Also, persons having rooms for rent or who will board students for pay, contact a school board member.


Ladies of the Red Cross in Neillsville are making “comfort bags” to send to each soldier from this county.  The bags contain sewing material and accessories; shears, bar of soap, safety pins, common pins, small comb, toothbrush, envelopes, writing paper, postcards, shoe laces and playing cards.


On Saturday, Harry Svirnoff bought the Mead livery barn and entire business from Chas. Fremund.  He will run it as a livery and also as a sale stable.  The business has two autos, the horses and a full line of buggies, hacks, etc.  Svirnoff will however, continue to buy junk as in his former business.


S. M. Marsh, formerly of Neillsville, was appointed Superior Judge of San Diego County by the governor of California.


Mr. and Mrs. Jos. Frei have bought 24 acres of land from Ed Gates.  It is east of Grand Avenue road and joins the city on the south.  They will build a good residence and other buildings on the site.


Dr. Hugh Schofield of Chicago, and his father, Robert Schofield were in the city recently.  “Bob” Schofield was one of the big loggers in this county, for years.  He first located just north of Neillsville at what is still known as “Scholfield’s Corners.”  Later, he moved to Greenwood, where he built a fine residence, carried on a large farm, saw mill and logging business.  We have happy recollections of the Schofield family.


The ladies of the Congregational Church will serve ice cream and cake on the Courthouse lawn on Sept. 5, afternoon and evening.  Should it rain, it will be held the next day.


August 1937

Clark Electric Coop will be working on putting up 674 miles of wire, starting in a week or two, promising REA lines by fall.  The cooperative will supply electricity to 2,078 farmers in Clark, Taylor and Marathon counties.


Saturday evening, Aug. 7, at 8 o’clock, Miss Dorothy Lynch and Wilmer G. Meier, both of Neillsville were quietly married in a single ring ceremony performed by Pastor E. P. Stone in the local Methodist Church.


Attendants for the wedding couple were Oleen Meier of Waupaca and Allen Cleaves of Manitowoc.  Miss Lynch had been employed as a teacher at Barron schools for the last six years.  Mr. Meier has been manager of the Adler Theatre in Neillsville.


The young couple left on a honeymoon and will return on August 16 to live in an apartment above Mi-Lady Beauty Shoppe.


C. C. Ebbe of the Ebbe Construction Co. Trenton, MO., contractor for the new Neillsville Post Office was here last week.  Ebbe was viewing the lot for the building and reported that the order for work is set for about August 23.


Neillsville golfers earned a decisive victory over the Marshfield visitors Sunday, winning 20 to 6.  Harold Hagen shot a par 36 the second round, with two balls out of bounds.


Garold Hart bought the A & P meat market from Ferdinand Kuester and will take possession Monday morning.  Hart has had considerable experience and will continue his meat business across the river.


Applications are being taken by the Resettlement administration in Marshfield from farmers who wish to permanently establish themselves on farms in Clark, Wood, Marathon and Jackson counties.  The farms can be paid from current receipts in a form like rental.  The government requires no cash payment, but expects a credit record sufficiently good enough to support the application. 


A new sawmill owned by Jas. Slauson and Wm. Orth, began operations recently, producing a large quantity of ties and lumber.  The mill is built of galvanized steel and is situated near the banks of Rock Creek.  It is south of the city, near the railroad in Greenwood.  Power is furnished by an electric motor.


Cochran’s Hardware Co., of Neillsville offers a Washer Deal, one week only!  The deal includes: electric washer, wash boiler, 2 tubs, ironing board, clothes pins and clothes line – all for $44.95; Also, Aladdin lamps $4.75 & up.


New Bus Service – 29 passenger streamlined coaches; Neillsville to Chicago, 12:10 a.m.; Neillsville to Minneapolis 5:50 a.m.  Fares – Chicago, one way, $4.60, $8.40 round trip; Minneapolis $2.60 one way, $4.75 round trip.


August 1947

Order cement blocks from Christie Concrete Products, made at Christie.


A whole flock of flying discs was reported seen by three teenage boys and a Neillsville woman on Sunday evening.  They reportedly saw 15 large discs and small ones float over the city about 9:30 p.m.  The Elmhorst and Canfield boys were frightened by what they saw.


Herbert Borde has purchased the Coast-to-Coast store from Robert Reimer.  Reimers plan to relocate in the state of Washington, to own and operate a Coast-to-Coast store there.  Borde grew-up on a farm south of Neillsville.


Reider Olson has purchased the Pleasant Ridge cheese factory and intends to establish his fish hook factory at that location.  He is remodeling the buildings upper portion for living quarters, planning to have the lower portion to start manufacturing fish hooks.  Olson bought the building from Charles Prust.  In the deal, Prust acquired land next to the golf course, which Olson had originally purchased for his factory.


Lewerenz Sweet Shop has installed the first full air conditioner in his business building and in Neillsville, Otto Lewerenz said, “It isn’t the heat, it’s the humidity.”  The rate of extraction is one gallon of humidity, or water, per hour.  The air conditioner is now in full operation and was installed well toward the front of Lewerenz’s Café.  Its effect is evident to all who enter.


Two Clark County Cheesemakers took awards at the Wisconsin State Fair.  The winners are Stewart Cheese Corp. of Greenwood and I. J. Koschak of Willard.  The Stewart entry was made in the name of H. W. Brux, cheesemaker, Italian Salami.  Koschak’s award was on aged American.  It was produced in the factory recently operated by Koschak in the Thorp area.  Now living in Willard, Koschak has retired from his activity as a cheesemaker.  Prior to being at Thorp, Koschak had operated the North Hendren factory.  Koschak also won the Governor’s sweepstakes for aged cheese.


Neillsville Condensed Milk Products building was located along O’Neill Creek, now site of the Fire Hall.  The aerial view, circa 1940, included the American Legion Hall and parking lot, as well as the partially visible James O’Neill house.  Hewett and Eighth Streets joined by the Condensary.

*Correction: This is about my Lindermann great-grandparents' family, but the surname was misspelled.  Linda Mertens



© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel