Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
October 1, 2014, Page 11
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
It really seems that the Clark County Fair is a Jonah. For practically four months there has been a drought in Clark County, but as soon as the week of the fair comes around, it commences to rain. While it did not rain Friday and Saturday yet the threatening weather kept many away. The frost on Tuesday night also hurt the attendance, as many farmers were compelled to stay at home and go to the cornfields and start cutting.
(This year the fair was held the first week in September. DZ)
The manager of the Box Ball Bowling Alley will give Thursday afternoons of each week free for ladies and Fridays of each week is ladies day.
Monday night, someone stole C. Krumreys bicycle out of his barn. Tuesday morning the wheel was found about 5 miles east of town, where it had been abandoned by the thief after he had punctured a tire.
William Shean, of Dells Dam, has his buildings all down and nearly all hauled to Neillsville, ready to be shipped to Montana where he expects to make his future home.
Next week, George Ludington, the veteran harness maker, severs the tie that binds him to Neillsville and goes to his boyhood home at Dublin, Indiana, to take up his residence. Mr. Ludington has been a resident of Neillsville since 1876 and during that time, has made a lasting reputation for honesty and square dealing. His change of residence is a matter of sincere regret to all his friends and associates.
Robert Glass left three very fine specimens of Duchess Apples at the newspaper office Monday and they tasted as delicious as they looked. Bobs ability to raise apples is now on par with his ability to raise whiskers and swap fish stories.
The ladies of the Congregational Church will give a supper this week Thursday. Following is the menu: Chicken Pie, Mashed Potatoes, Cabbage Salad, Pickles, Bread, Butter and Jelly, Cake and Coffee.
Mr. Pelton of Milwaukee is here to superintend the laying of the stone for the First National Bank. The stone will Bedford stone and it is expected it will be laid in about three weeks.
The 18th annual Interstate Fair will open at La Crosse, Monday, September 27th, and will continue through the week.
An Excursion Rate of one fare and one-half for the round trip has been obtained from all railroads for the week. This rate applies to all points 150 miles distance from La Crosse. Tickets will be on sale at all stations Monday, September 27th, and will be sold until Saturday, October 4th.
The purses for the trotting and pacing races amount to $4,600, which will furnish splendid entertainment to all admirers of the racehorse in harness.
A large exhibit of livestock will be seen upon the grounds and especially in the Shorthorn class of cattle for which the Association offers $1,100 in premiums, and there is also offered $700 in premiums in the Hereford class of cattle. A special premium of $150 is also offered in the Poland China and Duroc Jersey class of swine.
The free attractions in front of the grand stand are of a high order. The First Annual Dog Show of the La Crosse Kennel Club will be held under the auspices of the Interstate Fair.
The Parker Carnival Company with their 28 shows, military band and steam calliope will entertain the crowds on the Midway and upon the down town streets at night.
L. B. Ring is building a small store building between the Big Store and the Times office, which will be occupied by James Owens popcorn business.
The members of the Rebekah Lodge of Neillsville are planning to celebrate the 58th anniversary of the founding of that degree on the evening of Sept. 20th. All members of the I.O.O.F. and their ladies are invited to attend. Program begins at 8:00 oclock followed by supper.
The marriage of Ernest Ayers and Elsie Ableiter, Town of Grant, was kept so quiet that few knew of it until Thursdays paper came out. Then a crowd gave them a charivari Saturday evening. Sunday, the same crowd gathered at the home of Wm. Kalpin and enjoyed a treat; then later that night, they were given a dance by Mr. and Mrs. Ayers.
Mrs. Frances McBride, Primary teacher at the Granton School, and sons, Lamont and Douglas, who are attending school there, make daily trips via railroad between there and Neillsville this week and will do so until such time they can find a suitable residence or desirable rooms to rent for housekeeping. Then, Mrs. McBrides mother, Mrs. Laura Brown will move there also to live with them.
Neillsville High Schools new building is fresh without the old home base. You may hunt from one end to the other of this large building, something like a quarter of a mile, more or less, and you wont find a single desk like the old home base had.
The old assembly room, too. That is gone, and there is nothing exactly like it in the new building. When the kids gather for the first session, they will not go to an assembly room where a faculty member will sit in front of them, with eye upon their presence or their absence, upon their doings and their misdoings. As a single group they will not be together once all day and as a unit they will not see Mr. Lauscher all day, or be seen by him. He will be in an office or a classroom, and they will be scattered around in various places. The old days of the high school as one family, with its members joining in a united morning session, have gone with the horse and buggy.
But are the children of the modern day without a base at all? They have one. It is a locker, one of some 400, ranged along the corridors. Each pupil has his own locker with a key for it. In it he keeps such books as he does not take home for study and in it he puts his coat and hat, if he wears a hat. To and from this locker he will come and go throughout the day, as his need may dictate. It will serve him both as a clothes closet and as the shelf, which was part of the old school desk.
Nor will the pupils in the new high school miss the count, or be missed by it. Even without the eye of the principal upon them, the youngsters of today will find that the school people have found a way. They will be counted just as thoroughly and just as often as the old-timers were counted in the old days. They will find that there just isnt any way to beat the school game.
Elmer Martin, assisted by his son Elmer Jr., and Julius Rennak cleaned up the abandoned Free Methodist Cemetery in the York community, Town of Grant. This was another Grange Community project and was in charge of Elmer Martin. This completes their projects for this year. The chairman, Mrs. Julius Rennak, will be sending this in to the state Grange office, which will then be forwarded to the national Grange.
Saturday, September 4, Wedding Dance in Honor of Ruby Mohr & Harry Ambelang, with music by Wally Ives Orchestra at the Silver Dome Ballroom.
The corner stone laying of Our Saviors Lutheran Church, Greenwood, will take place Sunday, September 5; services to begin at 9 a. m. Opening service to be held in the old church, after which the congregation will march in procession to the new church for the cornerstone laying. Rev. G. S. Thompson, Senior pastor of First Lutheran Church in Eau Claire will perform the ceremony. The Rev. Mr. Thompson also served the Evangelical Lutheran Church as chairman of the board of charities. He is also an author of Cross is Urgent?
Men and women, who were familiar with the northern Wisconsin landscape of a quarter of a century ago, remember the sudden and almost complete extinction of the tamarack stands in the hundreds of northern swamps. Almost overnight, as a result of the predator insect of epidemic proportions, hundreds of thousands of the dark green and graceful trees were defoliated and killed.
Lately, however, nature lovers and lovers of the native landscape have noticed a gradual recovery of the species. State foresters substantiate their impressions. The tamarack, or American Larch, is truly on the way back, with a healthy growth of young trees obscuring the skeletons of their elders. A useful tree in the lumber trade, the tamarack is also unique in that it is the only example among native conifers that sheds it s foliage yearly.
An epidemic of construction has been proceeding in the past few weeks on the part of dairy farmers who were threatened with loss of market for their milk. These farmers have been building milk houses or milk rooms and a considerable number of them barely saved their market.
The result is that official reports thus far indicate relatively few whose milk has actually been refused by the plants. The number is probably less than 50.
Thus far only three producers have actually been shut off by direct official action. In these cases the farmers resisted the action of the plants in refusing milk. The plants were, of course, acting under legal compulsion, being themselves liable to penalty if they accepted milk not handled through a milk house or milk room.
In the case of resistance by the farmer, the only alternative was that the situation should be officially investigated and in the three cases the decision was that the farmers must be refused all access to a market until they were in compliance.
The outlook is that there may be further instances of resistance with the necessity of shut-off orders, but these will be few. The die-hards have found that patience has run out and that the day of reckoning was September 1, 1954, just as the state authority gave notice.
The relative quiet, which has followed the deadline, speaks for a remarkable accomplishment in quality improvement. It means that milk houses or milk rooms have become practically universal in Clark County, and that all milk is handled in a manner greatly improved over that of five years ago, when the milk house program was launched. Close to 5,000 milk houses or milk rooms have been constructed in Clark County, representing an investment of about two million dollars.
The annual fall banquet of the Clark County Rural Letter Carriers association and its auxiliary was held in the municipal building Saturday evening in Loyal.
The business meeting was conducted by Fay McCray of Owen, county president. Mr. and Mrs. Percy Voight were host and hostess. Many of the state officers of both societies were present.
Two members of the association, Hugh Berg of Granton and Fred Schmidt of Thorp, are retiring and received special honors. Gifts were presented to Mr. and Mrs. Berg and Mr. and Mrs. Schmidt. Rural carriers may retire at the age of 55 and must retire at 70.
Open house at Memorial Hospital will be tied in with the Dairy Days Festival on October 1 and 2, so that all visitors in the city may make a tour through the new hospital. Visiting hours will be from 9 to 9.
The dedication ceremony will take place on Sunday, October 3, and visitors will be shown through from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Members of the hospital auxiliary will conduct groups of visitors to various departments, where staff members will be stationed to explain the working of each department. Visitors will be serving coffee and cookies after the dedication.
In its fiftieth anniversary year, the Union Church building at Granton has passed into the hands of the Methodist denomination. The deed has been given by the surviving organization of the old Union Church to the trustees of the present Methodist congregation. The transfer will receive suitable observance at a special service in the church building next Sunday evening.
The Methodist people have been using the building upon a denominational basis since 1933, but the title of the property has remained in the Granton Union Church until now. In its early years, the building was a community project, with preachers conducting service upon a non-denominational basis. But as the years passed, Methodist preachers ere available and they came to be depended upon to keep the building in use.
When the church was completed in 1904, men were active in its construction and organization. It was not many years however before the womens organization took over the labors and the men dropped out. With the passing of the years, the Circle dwindled until now the maintenance of the structure and the responsibilities connected with it are beyond the present local membership. For that reason, more than any other, the title to the property has been passed to the trustees of the Granton Methodist congregation.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry Nemitz of W. 19th St., Neillsville, observed their 66th wedding anniversary on Sunday, September 2, by holding open house for their friends and relatives at their home.
Mr. and Mrs. Nemitz were born in Germany in 1864 and 1862, respectively. They were married at Malco, Germany, in 1888, and came to America in 1893. On their arrival here they settled in Neillsville, later moving to a farm in the Globe community.
Their two surviving children, Mrs. Robert (Minnie) Bardeleben and Mrs. Herman (Anna) Riedel, were both born while they were still in Germany.
Mr. and Mrs. Nemitz have made Neillsville their home for the past 33 years and both, at their advanced age, are still able to care for their home and garden.
Members of the 1954 class of Wood County Normal School had a reunion at Rib Hill, Wausau, on Sunday. The reunion was I n celebration of their first paychecks as teachers, Miss Luella Henninger accompanied Miss Lila Sternitzky and Miss Lorraine Bender of Granton to the reunion.
The Congregational Christian Church was formed in January 1891. In August of the following year, ground was broken and building was begun. A merger of the Zion Reformed Church with the Congregational Church was begun in 1958. The merging effort resulted in building a new church facility to be named the United Church of Christ at the corner of West 2nd and Park Streets. The Congregational Church building was razed about 1970. The Zion Reformed church building remains, on the southwest corner of Clay and West Fifth Street, being first sold to and occupied by the Neillsville Assembly of God Church congregation and later it was purchased by the Seventh Day Adventist Church congregation.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs