Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
November 19, 2014, Page 9
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
County Treasurer, J. H. Fradette, reports that on Nov. 1, 1934, Clark County will enter an additional 15,760 acres, or 394 - 40s, with the Conservation commission of the State of Wisconsin under the Forest Crop act. These 40s were acquired by Clark County by Tax Deed on July 14 and Oct. 30 of this year, and as the county had 2,159 forties accepted by the commission, March 13, 1934, the entry of November 1, 1933, will bring the total acr3eage of Clark County’s Forest up to 101,320 acres, or 2,533 forties. The above lands are all in the wild, uncultivated or “blueberry area” of the county, nearly 100 percent of the soil being of light sandy origin, unfit for agriculture but suitable for the growing of a natural growth of trees.
The following tabulation show in
what townships in Clark County the forestlands are, and the number of forties in
Nov. 1, 1933: Sherwood 53; Washburn 110; Levis 49; Dewhurst 242; Hewett 286; Mentor 185; Seif 95; South Foster 386; North Foster 466; Mead 67; and Butler 249.
Nov. 1, 1934, entry, in addition to the above consists of: Sherwood 132; Washburn 28; Levis 39; Dewhurst 5; Hewett 46; Mentor 5; Seif 64; South Foster 4; Mead 26; Butler 45. In all it a total of 2,533 forties, or 101,320 acres
The city of Neillsville has arranged to purchase a tract of seven and one-half acres on the north side from what was formerly known as the Wick Lynch place, to up as a small park.
The tract lies adjoining the cemetery road on the south side of the street and is well adapted to park purposes. There is a spring out of which a small stream flows through a little valley where a dam may be easily built and form a nice little pond. There are a number of trees on the land. Some of the lots, which make up the tract, will make desirable building places after the park is developed.
It is planned to use relief labor in fitting up the park. (Relief help would have been workers of the WPS. DZ)
As C. E. Bollom was driving down South Hewett Street Tuesday morning, Mr. Bollom suddenly thought it was that his truck was going to be struck, so turned to avoid a collision and lost control of the truck, running into the steps on the south side of the city library. The truck was damaged, and Mr. Bollom was only slightly injured. Miss Rose Scinto, R. N. and Miss Edna Barr, R. N. who were riding along with Mr. Bollom, were unhurt.
Dancing at Kellers’ Silver Dome Ballroom, Sat. Nov. 10, “Truman River” & His Orchestra, Adm. 35¢ and 15¢; Armistice Dance, Sunday, Nov. 11, Harve Cox & his Cowboys, sponsored by Haugen Post 73 American Legion. Tues. Nov. 13, Old Time Dance with Ozark Apple Knockers, 6 artists, featuring Sunny Joe direct from World’s Fair, featured on Big Yank Shirt Broadcast, WBBM and CBS.
A number of women are working at city hall making up comforters from cotton batts and cloth sent in from the Relief department of the Federal Government, the comforters to be given to people on relief this winter.
A complete new front, constructed of black and green micarta, a substance resembling Bakelite and introduced for the first time at the World’s Fair in Chicago, is being installed at the Adler Theater in the city, which when completed will give Neillsville the first theater entrance of that kind in this territory. Up to this time this type of construction has not been seen outside of Chicago. The project also calls for remodeling and redecorating of the lobby and foyer and the construction of a new ticket office.
The theater front was designed by E. W. Wagner, architectural designer of Chicago, who is here supervising the work. Most of the materials are being purchased through Neillsville businesses and all labor is local.
John Adler of Marshfield, who was here, recently, states that a similar front will be built for the Relda Theatre in Marshfield.
With the organization plans of the Silver Dome athletic association of Neillsville, boxing fans will soon be privileged to attend amateur boxing matches at the Silver Dome ballroom, five miles west of Neillsville.
The Silver Dome Athletic association, of which Keller Brothers are the incorporators, will operate under the jurisdiction of the Wisconsin boxing commission.
A skating rink for children is being made on the Zimmerman lot west of the Masonic Temple, the work being done by the city. The use of the land is being donated by the Zimmermans and will be greatly appreciated by the citizens. Youngsters will be able to enjoy skating on this rink without being exposed to the dangers of the deep water in the O’Neill Creek pond.
If our forefathers could set apart a day for Thanksgiving, we too might make Thanksgiving a day of thanks. This the statement of the health committee of the State Medical Society of Wisconsin issued today.
“Even though the founders of the Northwest Territory were a hardy race and immune to many ills, there was much sickness. The sick lacked many of today’s comforts. Houses often had only one room, where the family lived and slept where the meals were cooked and the babies played. There were no ice caps for the aching head. Water, when tolerated, was carried from a nearby spring. The sick were treated with home remedies and their selection was often the result of fancy or superstition and had no scientific basis.
“Bleeding was a common practice. Severe remedies were used. Instead of cleansing a wound, an ax or other tool, which inflicted the wound, was anointed with hog lard and guarded from rust in the chimney corner. One shudders at the charms used to relieve the ills attributed to relieve the ills attributed to teething of babies. If a person had a chill, he was bled. If he had a fever, he was bled. Some were bled on general principals. George Washington, who died of a throat infection, was, during his sickness, bled to the point of fainting.
“Physicians were few and generally they were not called until the patients were in a serious condition. If they recovered, Providence was credited and thanked. If they died, the doctor was blamed. But neighbors were always ready to help each other.
“Pioneers wanted education for their children and better things than they, themselves, enjoyed. The early log schoolhouses had greased paper windows. Log churches were built. Singing schools, spelling bees, sleigh rides, husking bees and quilting furnished social enjoyment.
“Even if the Thanksgiving dinner is a bit more modest than usual, let us recall that there are plenty of additional troubles we used to have but haven’t now.”
Many Neillsville people attended the lutefisk supper at United Lutheran Church in Greenwood Thursday evening. The Good Hope society of that church had prepared a fine meal and tables were filled shortly after six o’clock, with many waiting to be served at the second tables.
Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Quicker have rented the lower flat of the Altemus house on East 5th Street. They will move in as soon as Mr. and Mrs. Ed Zank vacate the flat to take up residency in their new home on North Emery Street.
Recently an old ox shoe was found on the O. E. Counsell farm, in about the same time; Victor Counsell found another relic of other days, a flint steel, only used in the early days to kindle fires. Few people now living remember the tinderbox, flint and steel used by our forefathers to kindle the home fires. Until the invention of ‘locofocos,’ as friction matches were called, the flint and steel were found in every household. The spark from the flint also fired the guns of our forefathers. The steel above mentioned was identified by Anthony Wenzel and A. F. Arndt, who recall seeing old time household flints and steel.
Abel Harding of this city, who was deer hunting 30 miles north of Eagle River, returned home Thursday with a fine 175- pound buck, which has a short black mane like a horse and a black stripe down the back.
Arden Hinkelmann has leased the service station at the corner of Hewett and Fifth Streets, now operated by Richard Albrecht. He will take possession within the next few days. He leases from the Wadham’s division of Socony Vacuum, which owns the property. Mr Albrecht, seeking less confining labors, will go on a Wadham’s route.
Mr. Hinkelmann, a member of the city council, has been operating the station north of O’Neill Creek on Hewett Street.
Attention Deer hunters! Becker’s Café is open all night, Friday & Saturday & All Day on Sunday! They will serve full dinners & short orders, available at all hours. They also will pack lunches with coffee for you to take along on your deer stand or on drive.
Will Your Car Start in Cold Weather? Get a Motor Tune-up Today at W & H Pontiac Motors, 133 E. 6th Street, in Neillsville. Owners, W. Wall and R. Horswill
Neillsville’s last passenger train slipped into oblivion last weekend, unheralded and unsung. Aside from those impelled by duty to be in attendance, there was just one Neillsville citizen who honored the occasion by his presence. He was Art Haugen, who looked upon the passing of the train as a personal and regrettable loss. For 30 years, Mr. Haugen had handled mail carried by this train. For 30 years, the blowing of the whistle in the early morning had meant to him the arrival of the makings of the forenoon’s work. To him, it was an old friend, filling out the pattern of his life, and he was losing it.
Inside the coach was a single passenger, a woman bound for Marshfield, who preferred anonymity and seclusion. Offered a spot in the picture taken by the Clark County Press, she declined a part in the obsequies.
As for the rest, the men whose duty it was unloaded the express and the mail, piling it up in two surprising mountains. Holding the train for the unloading and the pictures was the conductor, Marius Johnson of Marshfield, who had been on this run four years and who anticipated another assignment. Then there was Al Marg, the express man; Ed Tews, who makes the delivery to the post office; R. F. Reavley of Eau Claire, the mail clerk, who has been on the run six years; R. F. Paulson of Marshfield, express clerk, who has been on the run five years; E.M. Adler, engineer of Marshfield, and his son LeRoy, fireman.
The unloading and the pictures were soon over and the old morning train gave its last morning whistle and faded away in the east.
The lack of public attention to the passing of the train passenger service was in amazing contrast to the celebration which marked the opening of passenger service to Neillsville. That occasion was described was as follows in the Curtiss-Wedge History of Wisconsin:
“On July 4, 1881, the road, the Omaha railroad, was formally opened for business, from Merrillan to a point on the west side of Black River, about one mile from Neillsville.
“The opening of the road to a point near Neillsville in 1881 was the occasion of great rejoicing by the Neillsville people and surrounding country. The first train to come over the road was a special train of nine coaches in charge of Perry Sharpe, conductor, carrying 324 invited guests from all parts of the state, Including Milwaukee, Madison, La Crosse, Sparta, Black River Falls and many other points. With the guests was a military company from La Crosse Light Guards and also their band. On the arrival of the train, the invited guests were met by the citizens of Neillsville, with their military company, known as the Sherman Guards, under the command of Capt. J. W. Ferguson.
“A speech of welcome was made by Capt. George A. Austin on behalf of the citizens of Neillsville, which was responded to by Judge J. M. Morrow of Sparta on behalf of the visitors. The procession was then formed, the two military companies leading the way, the visitors in carriages, proceeding to the grounds in Neillsville, where the regular exercises were held. The main address of the day was made by Prof. John M. Olin, of Madison. It was only two days before that President Garfield had been assassinated by Charles Guiteau, and Professor Olin, who was a personal friend of President Garfield, alluded to it in a very touching manner and voiced the hope of all that the president would recover from his wounds. He quoted the famous dispatch penned by Garfield sixteen years before, on learning of the death of President Lincoln, “God reigns, and the Government at Washington still lives.
“The feature of the occasion was the dinner given in the open air, in a field on Fifth Street, east of the residence of James Hewett, with temporary dining tables, twenty in number were erected, shaded with boughs and each presided over by one of the ladies of Neillsville. A magnificent dinner was served to nearly a thousand people. Toasts were given and responses were made by Judge Robert M. Bashford, afterward Justice of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin, by John M. Olin and George B. Buroughs, of Madison, Ira B. Bradford, speaker of the assembly; E. L. Brockway of Black River Falls; Judge L. A. Doolittle, of Eau Claire; Isaac L. Usher and Judge Cyrus K. Lord, of La Crosse; F. N. Hendricks, of Eau Claire, and by various citizens of Neillsville.
Letters of congratulations were received from many prominent persons, the most noteworthy coming from George W. Peck then the Governor of Wisconsin.
“As is generally the case, the women bore the brunt of the hard work necessary to be performed in order to make such a celebration a success by preparing and serving the food.
“In 1887, the Omaha Company built the railroad bridge across the Black River and extended the line to the city of Neillsville. In 1890-91 the same company extended the line from Neillsville to Marshfield, a distance of twenty-three miles.”
|The “Railroad Age” for Neillsville lasted almost 100 years. In 1881, the railroad line was completed to the western edge of the Black River, until 1887 when a railroad bridge was built to span the river, with the road going into Neillsville. Later, the track was extended to Marshfield and formally completed in April 1891. The last passenger coach to run on the rail line ceased in early November 1954. The freight line operated until its last run Jan. 22, 1982.|
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs