Clark County Press, Neillsville, Wisconsin
September 27, 2017, Page 10
Contributed by "The Clark Co. Press"
Transcribed by Dolores (Mohr) Kenyon.
Index of "Oldies" Articles
Compiled by Dee Zimmerman
Clark County News
Schultz Bros. completed the work of excavating the basement for the new Post Office building in less than three days last week, completing the job Saturday afternoon. The big power shovel with dump trucks scooped out the dirt in quick fashion, with a large gallery of spectators looking on. Postmaster Kurth through a long-distance call got permission for this sub-contract to be done at once.
The old ONeill House, a landmark of the town, stood on the site of the new post office, burning down in 1912. No difficulty was experienced from masonry or debris, and the basement was dug to a depth of about 11 feet near the street side.
The Ebbe Construction Co., built an office on the site this week, which will be in use while construction work is on. Inspector Cooke is expected here any day now to approve of further plans for the new building, which will cost more than the contract price of $42,000, as there was $70,000 allotted for the new building.
Mr. and Mrs. Charles Shramek, early settlers of the Town of Levis, celebrated their Golden Wedding Anniversary Saturday, August 28. They had a dinner at the Levis Town Hall for family and numerous relatives and friends. The hall was prettily decorated, and the couple received many congratulations and gifts. Both of them were born in Bohemia, Mr. Shramek in 1865 and Mrs. Shramek in 1868. He came to this country in 1878, and she in 1872. They were married in 1887 and came to Neillsville in 1907. Of nine children born to them, six are living, Ladd of Park Ridge, Ill., Charles and Ed of Neillsville, Wm. Of Bensenville, Ill., Jerry of Chicago, and Mrs. Lillian Krumpeck of Paris, Ill. All were present with their families, which numbered 18 grandchildren in all.
A beautiful bronze medal was presented to Dr. Sarah Rosekrans this week by the Chicago Tribune, honoring her recent success in the music festival in Chicago. Dr. Rosekrans received third place in the womens division in the contests, which were under the supervision of the Tribune.
Old Time Dance will be held at the Humbird Town Hall on Labor Day, Sept. 6, sponsored by the American Legion Post of Humbird. Good Old Time Music. Everyone Welcome.
Frosty Kurth came in our office all out of breath with a big piece of news just at press time. Pointing to a press story saying, Nash cars will come out next year with air conditioning. Sounds good during this hot spell.
So little rain has fallen along the upper waters of Black River the past few months that the riverbed is dry enough in many places that one can easily walk across on the rocks.
This condition is not new according to Everett Hart, who recalls that in the summer of 1886 the river was almost dry.
The new Art Carl building of Sixth Street and South Grand Avenue, which will be occupied by Mr. Carl with office and workshop for his carpentry and contracting, the Welsh Chevrolet and Oldsmobile showroom, the veterinary offices of M. E. Bennett, and the insurance and real estate office of Joe Krause, will be ready this week.
The annual Mission Festival of the Green Grove Lutheran Church was held Sunday at the church in Green Grove Township under the direction of the pastor, Rev. Goetsch.
Services were held during the day and a big dinner was served at noon.
Two visiting pastors assisted in the services.
Among those attending from here were Henry Rahn, Register of Deeds and County Clerk Calvin Mills and family.
Gilbert C. Rohde of Eaton and Lucille Schwarze of Warner;
John Bryan of Levis and Cecelia Smitke of Thorp;
Frank J. Ligenza of Colburn and Emilie K. Florkowski of Worden.
While City Clerk Wm. Hemp and son William, Jr. were sail-boating on Lake Arbutus Monday, they had an experience that gave them far more pleasure than the cruise. For some time, they watched an object on the water, which appeared to be a floating pine root, finally directing the boat toward it, and much to their surprise it proved to be a large grey squirrel. The animal was swimming from Schusters Island to the west bank of the lake and was apparently glad of the opportunity to rest, for it hopped into the boat and selected a seat on the bow, evidently without fear and playfully tilted its head this way and that when the gentlemen spoke and remained there until within 200 feet of the shore. At this point the squirrel leaped into the water, swam ashore and after a thorough shaking scampered up a tree.
In addition to an entire new front veneer of hard brick at the Condensery, extensive repairs and replacements are going on in the interior framework.
The original frame of the building, which was constructed for a flour mill, was of heavy white pine, admirable adapted for its purpose as a mill, but owing to its absorption of moisture, did not serve as well as a milk plant. The wood frame in the lower stories has been gradually replaced by steel in previous years, and at this time all the remaining frame on the second and third floors is being replaced by steel making it a steel structure throughout.
F. L. Reinhard and Ira Davis announced this week that they are taking over the Lewerenz repair and car sales department located on the corner of Armory Ave. and Hewett St. The same line of new cars and trucks and General Motors products will be carried. As soon as the shop has been reorganized, Mr. Davis is planning to go to the Twin Cities to contact the used car market and will start a modern used car lot between the Lewerenz station and the repair department. Mr. Reinhard has been in Neillsville 28 years and has been dealing in cars since 1916. Mr. Davis has been here several years as a mechanic in the Lewerenz garage.
A total of 38,000 cases of peas were packed at the Neillsville Inderrieden Canning Co. plant during its 30 days of operations, which started June 11 this year. These cases were packed from 1,324 acres of peas, which had been planted, and canning was completed in the short run by a crew of 150 men and women, according to Clarence Peacock, manager. The second and third crops, the Perfections and Rogers variety, were cut short by the heat and pea aphids. The pack this year has been an average for the last four years.
A 1934 photo of the Neillsville Inderrieden Canning Company building, which operated with canning peas, carrots and later, sweet corn during the summer and early fall season during the 1930s-40s. During its operation, it provided up to 150 jobs during the canning season. The building still stands on West 8th Street and is now being used for storage.
Tuesday was a big shipping day at Neillsville railway depot, 10 full cars going out; 4 cars of Livestock, car of butter to New York, car of peas to Camden, N.J., car of condensed milk to Philadelphia, 2 cars of logs to Wausau and a car of lumber to Schofield.
Macks Sears. Sears Roebuck Associated Store Grand Opening! See Our Appliances on Display, such as: Cold Spot Refrigerator, w/5-yr. guarantee, Prosperity Automatic Gas Range; New Kenmore Ironer; 1938 Silvertone Radio; Kenmore Gasoline Powered and New Electric Powered Kenmore Wringer Washers, Vacuum Cleaners, Electric Ranges, Sewing Machines, Coal and Wood Heaters.
The 6,700 tabulation of school enrollment for the close of 1936 has not been greatly increased, L. M. Millard, superintendent of schools states.
Of the spring finals, 3,391 students were enrolled in rural schools, 821 in state graded schools, 1,101 in villages and city graded schools, and 1,386 in high schools.
Infantile paralysis epidemic in different parts of the state, is now less apparently due to the cooler weather. Schools have been closed in a number of places like Stanley. The Riverview, South Gordon, Roger Creek and Peterson schools in the Town of Worden, Clark County, near Stanley also were closed.
In Clark County cases reported the past ten days are Arthur Petkovsek, 7, son of Frank Petkovsek of the Town of Mead; Miss Abna Rau, daughter of Henry Rau, residing north of Dorchester; two sons of Wm. Micke of the Town of Worden, who were only slightly ill; and the year-and-one-half old daughter of Era Schilling of near Granton. No deaths have been reported thus far, and all those afflicted are recovering.
Three hundred who attended the regional tractor meeting of the Society of Automotive Engineers at Akron, Ohio, Sept. 15 to 17, heard predictions that in 1938 no less than 70 percent of new tractors sold would be on pneumatic rubber tractor tires.
Thousands of bushels of apples have gone to waste in Clark County this fall. The crop was far more plentiful than the market. Many of the early settlers here planted apple trees on their yards, which have thrived on most farms.
About 150 miles of the Clark County REA co-op power line poles had been placed at press time Wednesday. Seventy-five men are employed on the work, digging the holes by hand, and they have been averaging about 15 miles a day.
Get Your Winter Supply of Potatoes at H. H. Van Gorden & Son Feed Mill
U. S. No. 1 Cobblers, Kings and Katahdins, per c.w.t. $1.25, per bushel 80’.
Announcement was made this week of the sale of the Clark County Journal to A. F. Ender & Sons, who took over The Neillsville Press about a month ago. The change is effective as of September 20. Both papers will continue to be published for a time at least.
(Later, the two publications did combine into one newspaper, to be known as The Clark County Press. DZ)
When the 24 pupils of the Christie School returned for classes last week it almost was like coming to a new schoolhouse. This newness is a result of planning and executing a program of remodeling and modernizing the school premises. When the teacher, Mrs. Della Botnen, was asked how she likes the changes, she replied, It is wonderful!
Both she and the children will enjoy the modern plumbing with running water, the fluorescent lights and the large schoolroom, which resulted from removing an old partition to add eight feet to its length. The new entry as built at the rear of the building to get it farther from the highway, for reasons of safety, and it houses the new modern toilets. Another new feature was lowering the ceiling, which makes a pleasanter room and facilitates heating of the building.
Quite a different set-up from the conditions prevailing when the following were teachers there: James Fradette, later Clark County treasurer; Claude Mills; Ella Richardson; Mae McNamara; Clara Geeslin, now Mrs. Clara Neff; and Celia Tyler. According to the old records, teachers salaries in their day ranged from $30 to $40 per month.
The first school in Christie was built about 100 years ago when the district consisted of the present district plus the Mound district to the north. The present building was erected in 1903 and at the school meeting that year, $2,000 was voted for construction.
The present school members are: Mrs. George Schaefer, clerk; Mrs. Donald Acheson, treasurer; and Albert Zank director. Six of the present students came this year from the former Forman district.
The improvements, this year, were done at a cost of $7,000.
The Neillsville High School Senior Band, which numbered 80 last year has increased to 85 for the 1957-58 school term. Gavin Upton is the band director.
Free! Free! Free! Sensational Glass Offer!
At Neillsville IGA Store - With each $10 purchase you receive Free, Genuine Coin Cut Sherbet Glass or Footed Cocktail Glass; With each $15 purchase you receive Free Genuine Coin Cut Old Fashioned Glass or 8 oz. Tumbler; With each $20 purchase you receive Free, choice of Coin Cut 12 oz. Tumbler or Pilsner Glass.
(Has anyone kept a set of those gems, still to be found in the china hutch? The glass had dime-shaped indentations cut into the glasses surface. In the 1950s grocery stores often ran such promotions.
I remember a promotion where I was able to get pieces of china that included plates, cups, saucers and so on, until I had a complete 8-piece setting, with the serving pieces, obtained as premiums upon each weeks grocery purchase.
We gave the dishes to my younger brother and his bride as a wedding gift. D.Z)
(I still have my complete setting of 8 with serving pieces of the Royal Swirl pattern of Fine China made in Japan with small roses on them, gotten in the above manner at Haydens IGA in Merrillan. DMK)
The citys first storm-sewer, installed more than 50 years ago was found quite by accident last weekend.
It is located in the block on Fourth Street, between Grand Avenue and Clay Street, and empties into Goose Creek under the Fullerton Lumber Company building.
But until Boon Bros. truck, working on the Fourth Street project dropped into it, city officials were not aware of its presence. A few old-timers could have told them had they thought to ask.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs