1883 Colby M. E. Church Dedication
Transcribed by Stan Schwarze.
Source: Colby Phonograph (Colby, Clark Co., Wis.) 09/05/1883
Last Sunday occurred the grand event in the history of our little village, mainly, the dedication of the Methodist Episcopal Church, the first Protestant church in the place. Some years ago the people undertook to build a church. After a hard struggle money enough was raised to erect a very substantial frame, and a lot donated by the Wis. Central Railroad Co., for that purpose, but they were unable to complete the building, therefore it stood for several years, a large uncovered frame, until four years ago, when Gardiner R. Colby, a brother of the Hon. Charles L. Colby, made the village a generous offer of five hundred dollars toward completing the building as a Public Hall. Our citizens then took hold of the matter with a will which resulted in a large, substantial hall being completed in a short time. But the church project was worse of than ever.
About two years ago the Rev. Chas. Barker, who was pastor in charge on this circuit, conceived a novel plan for the erection of a Methodist Church, and, to that end, began, among the loggers and lumbermen, soliciting subscriptions of logs and lumber. He met with generous donations from that large hearted class of men. Then the mill men came in for their share by generously offering to saw the logs free of charge. Now, came the tug, money must be had to pay the mechanics, and, in a sparsely settled country, where the people are all comparatively poor, it can be imagined what a job the elder had laid out for himself, but with his indomitable energy and the assistance of the ladies he soon raised enough to allow them to commence the building, but the work dragged, money subscribed was slow coming in, and to cap the matter elder Barker was transferred, by the last conference, to another charge. This brought the matter to a standstill for some little time and has progressed slowly and by easy stages ever since, until at last it has been completed and is a good substantial church, though not a very large one. The first service was held there on Sunday morning by Rev. D. W. Couch of New York City, when five hundred forty dollars and sixty cents was raised, to clear the society from debt. In the evening the church dedication services were conducted by Rev. Couch, assisted by Rev. Barker, (who has never lost his interest in the project, though removed from the scene of action,) and Rev. Arthur Chalfant, the resident pastor, at which time money was raised to the purchase of a bell. This gives us a neat little church, all paid for and money in hand to purchase the bell.
1916 DEDICATION OF NEW COLBY M.E. CHURCH
Source: Colby Phonograph 04/20/1916
Last Sunday, April 16, 1916, was one to be remembered in this city, especially in the circles of the Methodist Episcopal Church, for on that day the beautiful new building was dedicated to the service of the Lord. That day crowned the efforts of those who labored diligently for the past two years in order that the congregation might have a place to worship, in keeping with the present day requirements.
Thirty-three years ago Sept. 2, the old Methodist church was dedicated. The old building was quite a wonder in its day and it served its purpose well. The ravages of time made its impression on it, and it became necessary to provide new quarters. The matter of building anew had been discussed for some years, but not until about two years ago did the project take definite form. Rev. R.R. Braddick, resident pastor, taking the initiative succeeded in interesting a number of people in the matter. In the solicitation of funds, everyone responded generously, which enabled them to commence the building. A committee consisting of R.R. Braddick as chairman, O. R. Briggs, secretary, K. Andrews, treasurer. Gust Voss and Alvin Brotherton consented to take upon themselves the task of carrying out the plans.
Those who gave so liberally, made it possible for the church to be built, but a large part of the credit is due the committee for their untiring efforts toward its successful completion.
This city has every reason to be proud of the new structure as it will be a substantial addition to the list of public buildings.
Colby Church Index
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs