Vol. I, No. 8
Saturday April 1, 1876
COLBY AND VICINITY
Transcribed by Linda Ewen.
Colby, a village of about 500 inhabitants, is situated on the Wisconsin Central Rail Road, the dividing line between Clark and Marathon Counties, and is the business center of a vast region of the territory, out of which, a new county will eventually be formed, with Colby as its seat of government.
The township of Hull in which the village of Colby is situated, and those nearest the village, are becoming rappidly [sic] improved and cultivated, by an industrious farming population; and will soon present as advanced an appearance as any County in northern Wisconsin can display. The value of farming lands in this vicinity varies in price from $5.00 to $10.00 per acre, according to location, quality of soil and timber. And we believe that the location, advantages and future of Colby and its vicinity, is equaled by few, and surpassed by no other locality in Northern Wisconsin; and requires but a brief exercise of the imagination, to see every acre of the rich agricultural lands embraced in this vast region of territory, in but a few years, teeming with well cultivated farms, active cities and villages, untold numbers of mills and factories, with happy homes crowning each hillside and vale.
The immense and almost exaustless [sic] timber resources, pine and hardwood of all kinds, are an inheritance alone, adequate to bring wealth and capital to our doors; while our shipping and market facilities are all that may be desired, and bring us in close connection with the business marts away from home. Throughout this entire region, the farmers cannot be regarded other than a favored class. The lands are fertile, and yield liberal returns for the labor expended.
The growing industries of the village create a demand for his surplus timber, and all other materials: and all of his products are marketable at prices far above what he would receive were his surroundings less favorable. In point of population we have nothing to make us envious of other localities, in qualiity [sic], energy and integrity.
Taking into account our present Railroad advantages, there is little else demanded in this respect by the material interests of this locality, the Wisconsin Central line (operated by the Phillips and Colby construction company), and the various other roads which intersect at other points, afford reliable facilities to the South, West and East, and in fact all parts of the country.
The manufacturing interests of Colby are being rapidly developed, and the benefits arising in various ways from those already in opperation [sic], can scarcely be estimated. They afford lucrative employment to a large number of our industrious population. And we have reason also to be proud, of the enterprising men at the head of the several establishments already in operation. They are men of sterling worth, men of energy and liberality, we have taken occasion to visit each one of them, and collect such information as will be most interesting to our readers both at home and abroad.
The Edminister Saw Mill, now operated by H.W. Ross & Co. was built in 1874, and is doing a successful business. This having been an unfavorable winter for putting in logs, but not withstanding this firm has put into their yard about 3,000,000 feet of pine logs. They employ a capital of $60,000 and their sales amount to about $160,000 a year.
They employ about their mill 25 men, and cut 30,000 Shingles, and from 15,000 to 20,000 feet of lumber per day, they have also, in connection with their mill a store consisting of a general stock, of from $5,000 to $10,000, and for location, theirs cannot be beat, and too much credit cannot be given to Mr. J.S. Edminister.
The Clothes Pin Factory,
Established in 1873, by D.J. Thomas, in an establishment of no ordinary magnitude. Employing a capitol [sic] of $8,000, his sales the past year amount to about $15,000.
He put into his yard this winter 1,000,000 feet of logs, gives employment to 10 men, manufactures Broom handles and Shingles, is doing a fair business. He is one of our most energetic and straightforward businessmen.
one of the most extensive manufacturing establishments is the mill of A. Lamont established in Nov. 1875. The mill is one of the finest in this section, is complete in every department, the engine and machinery are models of perfection. This mill is in a flourishing condition, has put into the yard this winter about 3,500,000 feet of logs, gives employment to 50 men, employs a capital of $10,000, amount of business in a year $60,000. Cuts about 60,000 shingles and 12 to 15,000 feet of lumber per day.
If there is any class of citizens of which Colby may well feel proud, it is out enterprising merchants. They aim to carry large stocks of goods, and by so doing have attracted a large amount of trade from other localities.
although but recently established carries a large general stock, and by selling his goods at low figures has become very popular with the public. Mr. Hinz is a young man, but thoroughly posted in business, and takes great pleasure in catering to the wants of the community. Employs a capital of $4,500. Sales for the year amount to about $20,000.
this is one of the oldest, and probably the most extensive general stores of which Colby can boast; established in 1874, under the firm name of Booth & Barry, who dissolved their partnership relations in Aug., of the same year, Mr. A.H. Booth continuing the business until May 1875, when he sold his interest to the present proprietor.
Mr. Ingham is also a young man possessed of excellent business qualifications, applies himself earnestly to his business and enjoys a very large patronage as his sales for the past year indicate. Employing a capital of $5,000 to $7,000, his sales having reached upwards of $20,000.
also has a general store, employing a capital of $2,500 sales for the past year amount to $10,000, Mr. Brott commenced business in 1874, and though not the most extensive establishment in town, it certainly ranks among the first in the quality of goods kept in stock, and it is a pleasure for all to deal with a man possessing the sterling qualities of integrity, liberality and straight-forwardness with which Mr. Brott is endowed.
Mrs. B.A. Brott has quite an extensive establishment of this kind. Mrs. Brott exercises excellent taste in the selection of her stock, and takes great pleasure in supplying the wants of her many lady customers.
The “Enterprise” was established but recently by Parkhurst & Griffis, who, until this number, have issued but a small sheet, but in order to keep pace with the demands of our energetic citizens, have today enlarged to our present size, and we deem it not egotism, when we say that in launching our newspaper barque among you, we did so among friends and not strangers.
The citizens of Colby, are wide awake and fully realize the advantages to be derived from a well conducted press, which shall always reflect through its columns the everyday doings, growth, advantages and prosperity of its locality, and people, and fully estimate the valuable service rendered by the public press in developing the western wilderness into the rare Golden Empire, she now is.
Attorneys at Law.
For the number of population, Colby is well supplied with Lawyers. Chas. F. Grow located here in 1874, is enjoying a good practice, and although a young man, is possessed of great legal ability and any business entrusted to him is certain to receive prompt attention.
H.B. Monaghan, another of Colby’s talented Lawyers established here in 1876. He has large experience and sound judgment, and generous to a fault.
Wicker & Parkhurst, the only law firm in Colby, are doing a fair business, they make collections a specialty.
Real Estate Agents.
Grow and Wrlbridge are doing a good business.
Dr. Goerting established here recently, is becoming very popular and has an extensive practice.
D.S. Bullock, attends to this branch of business, is thoroughly correct, locates lands, and no one trespasses when Bullock is around.
Colby, though yet, in her infancy, and unable to build palatial school houses has, not withstanding this, one of the best kept schools in this section of the country, numbering upwards of eighty scholars. The question of organizing the High School system here this spring, and erecting a building suitable for that purpose is being very much agitated, and we doubt not will be successfully carried out.
We have none at present, though our citizens are very well accommodated in the school house, where they have an opportunity every Sabbath of listening to our resident minister, Rev. R.A. Fuller, and to others on this circuit. Our sabbath school is well attended and in a flourishing condition under the management of Mr. J.D. Budd. We predict that the time is not far distant when Colby will be adorned with a good substantial church edifice.
recently opened by J.E. Borden is doing a flourishing business. Mr. Borden is one of our best and most enterprising citizens.
Store situated near Depot, north of K.W. Ingham’s store.
Flour & Feed
N.J. and J.N. White, are carrying on this branch of business, and with considerable profit to themselves and entire satisfaction to their many patrons.
In this branch of business Colby is well supplied, we have three first class saloons, differing very materially from ordinary saloons in towns of the size of Colby.
Mr. I.C. Gotchy established his hardware business in this place in 1874. He is known as one of our most careful business men, applies himself closely to his business, carries a stock in his line from which any selection can be made, being of a social disposition, honest and straight-forward, he has won the confidence of the whole community, has invested in his business about $2,000, his sales amounting to about $3,000 per year.
Drugs & Medicines,
Colby is well provided with drug stores.
Dr. Aug. Wilms,
commenced business in 1873, keeps on hand a good stock, and enjoys a fair trade. He attends the sick and wounded when called to do so, has a fair practice. He is wide-awake and deals fairly with all, employs a capital of $1,000, does a business of from $3,000 to $5,000 a year.
Mr. Budd had been engaged in the drug business here since the 15th of May 1875, few men enjoy a better reputation at home or abroad, financially Mr. Budd stands number one; He carries a good stock in his line, attends strictly to his business, and enjoys an extensive patronage. He employs a capital of $800 and does a business of $2,000 per year.
Colby House was built by Geo. W. Ghoca the present proprietor in 1873 at a cost of $3,000 and is one of the finest Hotels on the Wis. Cent. line north of Stevens Point. Mr. And Mrs. Ghoca takes great pleasure in catering to the wants of their numerous guests, every thing about the house is first class, does a business of $5,000 to $7,000 a year.
Boots and Shoes.
Frank Riplinger does a good business in manufacturing and retailing Boots and Shoes, carries a stock of about $700 and does a business of $3,000 per year, when in need of a good boot or shoe call on Frank, and you will be sure to get just what you want, and at low figures.
is carried on by N.P. Peterson who is one of the best Blacksmiths on the Cent. line, energetic and straightforward, attends strictly to his business, and enjoys an extensive patronage.
J.H. More carries a stock of about $500, enjoys a fair trade as his sales indicate, which amount to from $1,000, to $1,200 per year. Mr. More is one of the best mechanics in the north west, does his work upon honor and warrants his goods just as represented.
E.W. Lowe commenced business in 1873, and is the oldest and probably the best appointed establishments of the kind north of Stevens Point on the Wis. Cent. line. Mr. Lowe always carries a large stock of the best furniture in the market. He takes great pains in making his selections and is thoroughly acquainted with his business, and guarrantees [sic] satisfaction to all who deal with him and by selling at low figures has built up an extensive trade.
kept by F.H. Miller would do credit to a much older and larger place. He always keeps a full supply of fresh and salt meats, and by attending strictly to his business has built up a good trade.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs