George & Caroline (Lichte) Howard
article was compiled by Dee Zimmerman for her "Good Old Days" column
in the Clark County Press for May 31 - June 21, 2000.
In May of 1935, under pleasant skies and warm weather, a host of friends and relativity gathered from far and near Sunday at the old Howard homestead in the town of Grant. The occasion was in celebration of the golden wedding anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. George Howard.
Guests began arriving a little before noon and in a short time the large farm house, the Porches and lawn swarmed with cheerful visitors, a total of at least 200.
Ample provisions had been made for feeding the guests. A whole hog had been divided up with ten women of the community taking equal portions of the meat to be roasted in their home ovens. Mashed potatoes and brown gravy were prepared at the Howard home. Great dishes of baked beans were brought in, pickles of various kinds, an abundance of bread, butter and cheese, dozens of pies and a variety of cakes, coffee, etc. laden the tables. Tomato juice cocktail and salted peanuts served as appetizers before the main meal.
The tables were arranged in three large rooms thrown together by opening folding doors. There were place cards with the guests' names on which directed the seating arrangements.
The Keller Bros. orchestra furnished music for the day. As Mr. and Mrs. Howard descended the open stairway, they were greeted by the soft strains of music provided by the orchestra. The bridal party proceeded to the head table where they were met by Rev. G.W. Longnecker and Rev. Paul White. Rev. Longnecker proceeded to re-enact the marriage ceremony with modified changes to meet the circumstances of a union already of a fifty-year duration.
After the, first setting of table guests, about 75 in number had eaten, the tables were re-set two more times to accommodate serving all of the guests. An immense beautiful wedding cake, baked by Mrs. Verne Howard, was served after the various ceremonies.
George Howard and Miss Caroline Lichte were married at the Gus Baruch home in Neillsville, May 3, 1885. Geo, L. Jacques, justice of peace, performed the wedding ceremony. The bride was born in Manitowoc County and came to the town of Grant with her parents in 1878.
George Howard was the son of Mr. and Mrs. Robert Howard, who came from England a few years previous to their settling in the town of Grant. They were among the early Pleasant Ridge settlers in the town of Grant. They first bought a large tract of land, later disposing of some of it. He began to develop the Howard homestead of 108 acres where George Howard was born and grew to manhood. After his father's death, George and Caroline carried on the home farm operation, later buying it. About four years ago, after their son, Vernie married, they moved across the road, to live on the Klein farm. Vernie and his wife carry on with farming the Howard homestead. The homestead farm seemed to be the appropriate place for the golden wedding event. The George Howard's have five children; Archie, Ethel (Mrs. Will Geisler), Gertrude (Mrs. Wm. Martin), Vernie and Alvah.
"The Good Old Days" articles also included the photo above of George & Caroline (Lichte) Howard's 50th Wedding Anniversary celebration held at their home in 1935. Located on Ridge Road, 1/2 mile north 10, on Pray Avenue, then 1/2 mile east, is where Robert Howard settled and developed the farmstead in the 1850s. Descendents of his family had lived on the farm for nearly 150 years, the last member being William Howard who sold the property three years ago.
The honored couple's daughter-in-law, Mrs. Vernie (Bernadine) Howard baked the anniversary cake for the event. She celebrated her 93rd birthday last week, on June 13, at the home of her daughter, Judy Ahlberg at Turtle Lake. D.Z.)
The honored 50th Anniversary couple, George and Caroline Howard, are seated in the front row, center, behind two little children, Vern R. Howard and Zona Smith, holding a basket of flowers. Other guests are left to right,
front row: Donald Hughes, James West, Ralph Blackman, Clarion Counsell, Lee Counsell, Daisy West, Doris Counsell, Vernie G. Howard, Ethel Geisler, Caroline Howard, Zona Smith, Gertrude Martin, Lill Howard, Robert Howard, Ray West, Gordon Vine, Douglas Buddinger, James Howard, Lois Howard, Eilean Trieber, Roy Suckow, Nina Blackman, Estella Buddinger.
2nd, 3rd, & 4th row, some on the steps: George Huebner, Elinora Huebner, Irene Rowe, Marjorie Vine, Janet Short, Dorothy Vine, Rika West, Mrs. Ben Dudei, Clarion Howard, Margaret Lichte, Fred Lichte, Archie Howard, Ida Howard, Adolph Lichte, Len Howard, Belle Howard, John Howard, Racie Selves, Richard Selves, Lydia Slocomb-Barton, Carl Braatz, George West, Joe Buss, William Swann, Jay Muno, Patricia Muno, Leola Muno, Dan Hughes, George Vine, Bill Smith, Gerhardt Lichte, Alfred Magnuson, George Buddinger, Ernie Reimer, Fern Kuehn, Rose Smith, Marion Hiles, Mrs. Herman Braatz, Elsie Howard, Mrs. Henry Braatz, Ella Magnuson, Rev. Longnecker, Neva Swann, Ardith Hubing, Laura Drescher, Vernon Drescher, Edward Selves, Earline Broers, Mrs. John Broers, Merwyn Howard, Betty Howard, Merton Howard, Arnold Worchell, Bonnie Rae Worchell, Mr. Prange, Mrs. Prange, Fred Vine, Moritz Meinhardt, Norman Meinhardt, James Hughes, Paul Garbisch.
Those standing on the porch: (with several unidentified) Herman Braatz, Margaret Vine, Mrs. Roy Suchow, Mrs. Leander Olia, Leah Short, Mr. and Mrs. Harold Huckstead, Lila Hubing, Hazel West (Slocomb), Mrs. James West, Janice West, Helen Vine, Mrs. Arthur Rubing, Emma Schrieber, Garnett Bladl, Viola Johnson, Elgie Blackman, George Kuehn, Will Kurth, Charles Rubing, Willard Gerhardt, Glenn Gerhardt, Mrs. Alvin Eisentraut, George Howard, Marion Counsell, Alva Howard, Pauline Lichte, Ruth Hiles, Elmer Lichte, Irwin Lichte, Eugene Short, Mrs. Willard Gerhardt, Cliff Blackman and Doris Counsell.
The Howard's 1933 anniversary party was held at the I.O.O.F. Hall at 140 West Fifth St. (Later Dave's Auto Parts Store). Everyone gathered for a photo which was taken across the West Street intersection, at 204 West Fifth, in front of the Neillsville Tire Shop. (That two story building was later torn down and replaced by a one story structure).
The contact for this web page is James W. Sternitzky PhD.
Return to Grant Township Genealogy Webpage.
Return to Grant Township Home Page.
**This Clark Co., WI Internet Library, ALHN & AHGP website is dedicated to the free sharing of information by researchers, local historians, genealogists and educators. Because of our non-profit status, submissions are not to be used for profiteering of any kind. Our representatives cannot accept gratuities beyond the basic expenses (i.e. postage, copying, courthouse or rental fees) for obtaining requested information. We reserve the right to ban the involvement of anyone who intentionally disregards these policies. Promotion of research services or publications is not permitted on these pages, or by our representatives without the prior endorsement of the site overseers. If you need professional help, we recommend contacting an accredited genealogist. Please show your appreciation for this database by Becoming a Clark County History Buff or making a contribution to our Support Fund and Perpetual Preservation Account to help keep this Clark Co., WI database freely available on the World Wide Web and free from commercial enterprise.
*** This copyrighted Clark Co., Wis. genealogy and history material is used on this nonprofit site with permission of the submitter. Contact us if you are personally aware of anyone using this submitted data inappropriately. It may not be copied and posted on any commercial genealogy sites such as Family Tree Maker or the merged companies Ancestry.Com/RootsWeb/MyFamily or sold for personal profit.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created
and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs