Green Grove Township Businesses
Clark County, Wisconsin
The South Green
Glen Bloom, of Loyal and formerly a resident of Beaver Township, said his high school bus route
(1938-1942) took him past this cheese factory. It was along what
is today called Popple River Road and was then
called Town Line Road (because it was the boundary between Green
Grove and Beaver townships). It was on the south side of the road, so was
actually in the Town of Beaver, and about 1/2 mile east of County Trunk P.
Cheese Factories & Dairies:
Mandel Cheese Factory
Oakland Cheese Factory was a mile south of Curtis Corners and a little west. It was operated
by Gordon Munsen, and then sold to Laabs Cheese Co. in 1960.
Grove Co-op (pictured above), Memories
Farms--40 and 80-acre plots were common in the early 1900's with
progressively larger size operations appearing through the decades.
Milking cows, 1963
Haaya & Mattson
The Elorantas in the photo are
customers in the store which was actually located in Owen, WI and they farmed
in Sec. 17 of Green Grove Township.
Awe Sawmill--Henry Awe's land, long what is now Cloverdale Road, was once the home of a
bustling sawmill. Henry's grandfather owned and operated it in the earliest
days of the township. He sold the first one, but around 1904 or 1905 acquired
another one. The second sawmill was a large operation with the big mill, a
planer, a shingle mill, and a lath mill. At it's peak it employed 10 or 12
men. It last sawed in 1961. The building burned in 1984.
**If you have any
information or photos regarding businesses of Green Grove Township,
contact Helen or