Recollections of Columbia, Wisconsin
by Mabel Schlender Jonkel
Contributed by Sarah Poertner
transcribed by Crystal Wendt & Michelle Harder.
*Mr. And Mrs. Theodore Bornholdt also came form Racine in 1901. They farmed one mile west of Columbia for eighteen years, first living in a log cabin and later building a large cement home. They had three sons and a daughter. Later Henry was employed in Racine. Ted Jr., married one of Columbia's teachers, Clara Lunch, of Neillsville. After his term in the army he farmed for Professor Brooks of Granton. Ralph stayed on the home farm. Martha married a Neillsville man. In 1919 they all moved to Gowanda, New York, each on his own farm. The Columbia farm was sold to *Mr. And Mrs. Naomi of St. Paul, Minnesota, who stayed until 1921. There were two daughters, Mary and Theresa.
The Bornholdt home, 1 mile northwest of Columbia, was built of cement.
*Mr. And Mrs. Frank Babcock and family came from Elkhorn in 1901, having bought the Knut Wiggins 40 acre farm half mile south of the school hosue. Later they bought more acreage. He was active in town and Modern Woodman affaris. Of their four children, Harry attended Neillsville High school. He was active in social events and was catcher for the baseball team. Leslie attended Columbia school. After leaving he married and was in grocery business until his early death. In January 1908 the home burned. They stayed with neighbors until furniture could be bought. Then they lived in the Helling place for eight months, after which they moved to Hixon in October. The family moved to Wonowoc where Karl attended high school. Later he married and settled in Marion. Each year he keeps in touch with Columbia by attending the annual picnic. Jessie married and lives in LaCrosse. Harry returned to Elkhorn where he did carpenter work. Later he was a telegraph operator in Plover. He married a Hixton girl.
Jean and Carl Babcock had their portrait with the family dog.
TABLE OF CONTENTS ← → NEXT PAGE
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs