Longwood Township Pioneers

Clark County, Wisconsin

Contributed by Sharon Short & The Clark County History Buffs

 

~Return to Index~

 

QUIST, Peter S. (11 Mar 1852-8 Oct 1937)

Nazareth Cemetery Records: Peter Quist parents= Steffensen and Mitte Christensen Quist; married 16 Mar 1886, wife Christiane b. 4 Sept 1848 d. 5 Feb 1940; son Stephen b. 1887 d. 1959; son Hans b. 1890 d. 1958

 

QUIST, Peter & Christiana  Golden ann. 16 Mar 1936

Mr. and Mrs. Peter Quist of Withee celebrated their Golden Wedding anniversary this week, when approximately 100 of their relatives and friends gathered at their home to extend to them hearty congratulations. Nearly all of those present were members of the congregation of the Danish Lutheran Church. Mr. and Mrs. Quist have been residents of Withee for a great many years, and were among the pioneers coming to this vicinity at the beginning of the Danish colony which was started there. Relatives of Mr. and Mrs. Quist, who were present at the anniversary, were Mr. and Mrs. Jens Stigsen and son, Thorvald, and Mr. and Mrs. Henry Axelsen (adopted son) and children of Withee. Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson Sr. and Mr. and Mrs. Atkinson Jr. and children of St. Paul, and two sons, who are at home. Mr. Quist is 84 years of age, and his wife is 86, and both are in their usual good health. 1905 census residence #84 owns farm. Peter S. 53, wife Christana 56, both born Denmark, children Steffan 17 born IA, Hans A. 15, born NE, adopted son Henry Exelson 9 born IA.   1905 – 1920 Sec 16  

 

RAMSEY Land Co.  1905 - 1920 Plat map sec 30 no residence on property

 

REAMER, L.   1905 Plat map sec 9 residence on property 1915 = Leino

 

RITCHIE, Samuel   1905 - 1920 Plat Map sec 10 no residence on property

 

ROBBENS, G.W.  1905 Plat map sec 8 no residence on property 1915 Tisdale & Stienert property

 

RODER, Mathew P. age 28; wife Bertha age 25; son Alvin age 1. 1905 census residence #102 rental. (Lived in same rental house as butter-maker partner Frank Merryfield.) Jan 15 1906: Mrs. Roder returned home from her visit with her folks.


ROSS, Robert  (Nothing more on this site)
Robert Ross, who had a farm north of Christy, introduced the first Shorthorn or Durham cattle into the county. Mr. Ross bought a red Durham bull called "Marius" from John Wentworth, then editor of the Chicago Democrat. "Marius" was sired by the 15th Duke of Avia, which sire Mr. Wentworth bought at the famous New York Mills sale at a purchase price of $15,000. Ross's Shorthorns were mostly the mellow roans and good milkers. At one time he had a sire nearly all white in color and which attracted much attention. This early herd of Shorthorns form the basis of the present native stock disseminated around Christie.
1918 History of Clark Co., WI  

1880 Longwood Plat Map sec 12 no residence on prop. (1905 Berryman property)

 

ROWLANDS, J.R.   1905 Plat map sec 6 no residence 1915 Parmenter, Sheahan, & ? properties

 

RYARSON, F.      1905 Plat map sec 2 no residence on property 1915 Madson & Krarup properties

 

RYE, J.         1893 Plat map sec 25 residence on property (1905 Sorenson property)

 

 

 

SANDERS, Martha Ann nee Mead (9 Jan 1834 – 5 Dec 1915)

Mrs. John Sanders, an old and respected pioneer resident died at the home of her son, R.L. Sanders at Longwood, at the age of 78 years. Martha Ann Mead was born in Dutchess Co., N.Y., Jan. 9, 1834, and when seven years of age moved to Watertown, Wis. with her parents, where she lived until married to John Sanders. In 1871 the family came to Clark County and settled on the farm at Longwood. The only family between Greenwood and their home was that of her brother, Harry Mead. Deceased was the mother of three sons, one dying in infancy, John E. of Manitowish, Wis., who has spent the past year with his parents, and R.L. Sanders, who has lived with and taken care of his aged parents the past few years. Besides the above mentioned she leaves her husband, one brother, Wm. Mead. Deceased has been a member of the Longwood M.E. Church since its foundation, from which edifice the funeral sermon. Burial was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. 1905 census residence #101 owns farm: John 70, born VT, wife Martha R. 68 born NY, grandson Marion 13, born WI.

 

                                            1880 sec 23residence               MA Saunders (Martha Ann)

1900 census residence #172  1893 sec 23 & 26    1905 sec 23 & 26 (M.E. church in sec 26)

Sanders, John

Head

W

M

9/1834

65

M

41

 

 

Vermont

Martha

Wife

W

F

1/1837

63

M

41

 

 

New York

 

SANDERS, John Edwin (7 July 1858-30 April 1917)

John Edwin Sanders was born at Watertown, Wis., July 7, 1858 and passed away from this life at Ashland, Wis., April 30, 1917. The cause of death was stomach trouble. Mr. Sanders was married at New Holstein, Wis. in 1883 to Miss Anna E. Borman. To them were born five children, four of who are still living. Mr. Sanders came to Clark Co, Wis. with his parents in 1871, settling at Longwood, and later moving on a farm near Thorp, where they lived until 1901. He is survived by one brother, three sons, and a daughter, his wife having passed away while the family resided here in 1900, Mr. R. L. Sanders, a brother, residing in Greenwood, Bernard of Park Falls, Mrs. Levi Sleight of Mercer, Wis. and Harry R. and Marion of Eddyside, Sas., Canada. 1880 sec 23 no residence on property

1905 Plat map sec 23 R.L. Sanders, no residence on property. 1920 Plat map sec 23 Ed Sanders

 

SAWYER & AUSTIN  1880 & 1893 Plat map sec 27, 28 residence both sections (1905=Bowen)

 

 

SCHOTTLER, Adam N. (28 Sept 1868-29 Sept 1929)

Adam N. Schottler, a resident of the town of Longwood, died Sept. 29, 1929, at his home two miles southwest of Withee. The deceased was born on a farm near Germantown, Washington Co., Wis., Sep 28, 1868. Mr. Schottler was the eldest son of Balthazaar and Catherine Schottler, nee Groda. When he was a boy 14 years of age his father died, July 14, 1898. He was united in marriage to Emma Margaret Feustel, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Christian Feustel. The year 1898 Mr. Schottler's mother died, leaving him administrator of the estate. He moved to Clark County in May 1901, where he resided until the time of his death. He was one of the founders of the Sacred Heart Church in Withee, and trustee for 21 years.  Funeral services were held at the Sacred Heart Church at Withee Interment was made at Riverside Cemetery. Mr. Schottler is survived by his wife and two children, Clarence and Mrs. Edward Mertens, one brother, Dr. J. G. Schottler and one sister, Mrs. John J. Wessolowski of Milwaukee.  1905 census residence #93, owns farm. Adam N. 36, wife Margaret 32, child Isabele 6, cousin Philip Schottler 29, all born WI.    1905 - 1920  Sec 4

 

 

SCHROEDER, Martin (13 April 1854-31 Mar 1917)

Martin Schroeder died at his home in the town of Longwood March 31, 1917, cause of death being a relapse from a stroke of paralysis, which he suffered some two years ago. Mr. Schroeder came to the town of Longwood about thirty-four years ago (c1883) and settled on the farm which he owned at the time of his death. He was sixty-three years of age and leaves to mourn a wife (Charlotte) and nine children, Mrs. H. Myers, Reseberg; Clara of Rochester, Lottie of Madison and Mary of Reseberg; Frank and Fred of Idaho, Adolph of Longwood, Ernest of Owen and Carl of Washington. 1905 census residence #65 owns farm: Martin A. J. 52, wife Lottie 52, both born Germany. Children, all born WI: Frank H. 22, Fritz 20, Adolph 19, Minnie 16, Ernest 14, Clara 13, Charles 11, Lottie 10, Mary 8. 

 

                                    1920 sec 36: A. Schroeder, H. Schroeder, R. Schroeder  

1900 census residence #197  1893 sec 25     1905 sec 25 & 36      1920 sec 25 M. Schroeder

Schroeder, Martin

Head

W

M

4/1854

46

M

17

 

 

Germany

Lottie

Wife

W

F

10/1853

46

M

17

11

9

Germany

Frank

Son

W

M

6/1882

17

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Fred

Son

W

M

2/1885

15

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Adolph

Son

W

M

2/1886

14

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Minnie

Daughter

W

F

5/1889

11

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Ernest

Son

W

M

9/1890

9

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Clara

Daughter

W

F

6/1892

7

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Charles

Son

W

M

9/1893

6

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Lottie

Daughter

W

F

5/1895

5

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Mary

Daughter

W

F

5/1897

3

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

 

 

Note:Fred Schroeder, born Feb 1885, age 15 on 1900 census also shows up on the Green Grove 1900 census (line 282) as boarder and farm labor at the Olie Mathison residence/farm.

 

SCHROEDER, Charlotte “Lottie” (Oct 1852 -1 Mar 1929)

Mrs. Charlotte Schroeder, age 76 years and four months, died suddenly at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Rhinehardt Wilkins, in the town of Longwood. Death was due to heart failure. Mrs. Schroeder was one of the pioneer settlers of the town of Longwood, having lived there for the past forty-seven years. She and her husband moved to that township when there was but one road in the vicinity, and that was between Colby and Neillsville, and was used mostly by the loggers. Mr. Schroeder preceded her in death by twelve years. She leaves to mourn, five sons, Ernest A. of Owen, Frank and Adolph of the town of Longwood, Carl of the town of Green Grove, and Fred of Oregon, besides four daughters, Mrs. H. J. Meyers, Reedsberg, Wis., Mrs. Arthur Due, Los Angeles, Calif., Mrs. Charlotte Berdall, Detroit, Mich., and Mrs. Rhinehardt Wilkins of the town of Longwood.

 

SCHROEDER marriage - 22 Dec 1914

A very pretty wedding took place on Dec. 22, 1914, when Mr. Ernest Schroeder of this city (Owen) and Miss Clara Rusch of Reseberg were united in marriage at the German Lutheran Parsonage at Withee. The wedding was a very quiet one, only nearby relatives being present. Mr. Herman Awe acted as groomsman and Miss Mary Schroeder, a sister of the groom, acted as bridesmaid. Immediately after the ceremony the happy couple went to Reseberg, where they visited friends for several days. The newlyweds will be at home to their friends after Jan. 1st, in the rooms upstairs in the residence of Frank Christ.

 

SCOTT, Kate

“There were several good midwives in the community. One, Kate Scott, an Indian woman, who lived near Longwood.” Greenwood History 1853-1934 Note: Early 1870-1880. Will Huntzicker birth Kate Scott was midwife Nov 6 1871 Scott, Kate, Indian woman who was the oldest settler in the town of Green Grove loved to roam the woods with her rifle and could handle that weapon in a most masterly manner.” [News clip, page 55, column 2] Colby Centennial 1873-1973 Note: Not found on early census records or later cemetery records of Clark Co.

 

SEAR marriage 26 Dec 1884

The social event of last week was the marriage of Mr. Frank W. Sear to Miss Una Smith, on the morning of the 26th. The bride is the daughter of Edward Smith, of Longwood.

1-7-1886 LONGWOOD; F. M. Sears is laid up with rheumatism. (1880 F.L.Sears in sec 8)

(1893 = Kate Weber property 1905 = Pingle property)

 

SHEEHAN, Patrick H. (1838 - 1901)

Following are the particulars regarding the death of P. H. Sheehan, mention of which was made two weeks ago. The clipping is taken from the Prospect, of Prescott, Arizona, dated August 31. "Patrick H. Sheehan, proprietor of the boarding house at McCabe, and a director in the McCabe, and a director in the McCabe Consolidated Copper and Gold mining Company, met with an accident last Sunday, from the effects of which he died Tuesday morning. Mr. Sheehan had been to Huron station on the P. E. railroad, and upon his return when he attempted to alight from his buggy, his foot caught in the brake and he was thrown violently to the ground. The fall caused an injury to his spine and resulted in paralysis. "Mr. Sheehan was a native of Canada, but went from there to Wisconsin over forty years ago, where he lived until he came to Arizona in 1895. He was hale and hearty at 63 years of age, and his sudden death was a shock to the community in which he lived, where he was well and favorably known. A wife (sister of William Mead, Longwood) and two daughters survive him. One daughter, Mrs. Riggs, resides at Morenci, and the other Miss Edna Sheehan, at McCabe. The remains were brought to the residence of Mrs. Hill in West Prescott, who was an old friend of the deceased, and the funeral services were conducted.                                7-31-1884: “Pat Shehan has now become a resident of Longwood, and will soon erect a good house. He heartily welcome his coming, and would be glad to welcome many more energetic men like him.” (Pat Sheehan on the 1895 City of Greenwood census)

1880 & 1893 sec 22 residence on property 1905 = Cattanack, Carlow properties

 

SHELDON, Frederick J. (16 Oct 1839-8 Dec 1903)

Frederick J. Sheldon was born in Onondaga County, New York, October 16, 1839, the son of Frederick Sheldon a native of Connecticut, and soon after removed to near Detroit, Mich. with his parents. He served in the Civil War for three years in Company B, Second Michigan Volunteer Infantry. He lived in Dearborn until July, 1867, when he went to Fulton, Illinois, and December 10 of the same year to Big Falls on Popple River, this county, settling one and one-half miles southwest of Longwood, where he has since resided. The first winter he was engaged in the pineries, and in July, 1868, he brought his family to this county, taking a homestead on the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of section 27, Eaton Township, now Hixton (and later Longwood Township). He still owns 160 acres of this tract, fifty of which is cleared. Mr. Sheldon was married at Saginaw, Michigan, Nov 18 1864 to Ellen E. Clark, daughter of Brenton Clark, of Wheatland, Michigan who died Sept. 22, 1888 (born Feb 20 1848). They had six children, four of whom survive: Willie A., Albertis, Frank L. and Nancy M. The eldest son is married and lives in White Sulphur Springs, Montana. Mr. Sheldon has held the office of Justice of the Peace three years, School Clerk many years, and Town Treasurer six years. 1891 Biographical History Frederick J. Sheldon of Longwood died at his home on Dec. 8, 1903, after an illness of several months duration. He leaves four children, Wm. A., Albertis, Frank L. and Nancy M., and one sister (Mary),Mrs. P. F. Lantz. The funeral took place at Greenwood. (Frederick and Ellen both buried Greenwood Cemetery)

 

1900 census residence #173 1880-1893 (two homes on prop.) sec 27 1905 M.B. Henry property

Sheldon, Frederick

Head

W

M

10/1839

60

W

 

 

 

New York

Frank

Son

W

M

8/1880

19

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Nancy

Daughter

W

F

2/1884

16

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

 

Greenwood History 1853-1934: “There are two stones in the (Greenwood) cemetery with earlier dates, but no one is buried under them. These stones were for two Sheldon children who died and were buried in the Hackett field (Stoller's). Later the father purchased headstones and wanted to move the bodies of the children but the graves could not be located, so the stones were set up in the cemetery here anyway.” Greenwood Cemetery: Robert L.  Sheldon Aug 7 1868-Jun 27 1869 and Frederick E. Sheldon Dec 17 1871-Apr 6 1872.  Burialnote: this is Warner Township sec 2, Popple River runs through it. 1880 owned by A & P.C.; 1893 owned by W.H. Mead but no house on it; 1906 & 1915 owned by Hans Nelson; 1926 owned by John Stoller.

 

Greenwood History 1853-1934: “At first there was no regular dentist in Greenwood but persons suffering with toothache, if they wished, could go to "Old Sheldon's" near Longwood and have the tooth removed. He was always found in his bare feet and pulled the tooth with a pair of pliers. This same Sheldon planted many pine trees along the main road near Longwood.”

 

1-7-1886 LONGWOOD; F. J. Sheldon reports taxes coming in rather slow.” 2-24-1887: Fred Sheldon, of Longwood, was in town (Thorp) last week with a load of produce which he readily disposed of to our merchants.”

 

SHELDON, William A. 28, born MI, wife Maud L. 30 born WI, child Lyle L. 3, born WI. 1905 census residence #104 owns farm.   Sec 27

 

 June 29,1906: W. A. Sheldon of Longwood has bills out for an auction to be held July 14th at which he will dispose of his farm, which is one of the best in northern Clark Co, together with all of the live stock machinery and other personal property. A. Cook will cry the sale.”

 

 

SMITH, Andrew, Sr. (19 May 1864 - Aug 1948)

Final rites were conducted for Andrew Smith, Sr., who resided just southwest of the Owen,  from the Danish Lutheran Church at Withee. Burial was made in the (Nazareth) Danish Cemetery. He was stricken with a heart attack in a Wausau business place, where he had gone with his family a week ago Wednesday on a shopping tour. Andrew Smith was born on May 19, 1864 in Denmark (son of Andrew and Madeline Hjost Smith). He came to America at the age of 25 years and made his home in Chicago until 1900, when he moved to this state, settling in this community. This spring many of his friends and neighbors joined with him and his family in observing his 84th birthday anniversary at his home. Surviving him are his wife (Anna Dorthea) eight children, Mrs. Olaf (Anna) Bligard, Minneapolis; Mrs. Chris (Nora) Christopherson and Agnes Smith, Chicago; Andrew Smith (1903-1978 married Hilda V. Lange), Mrs. Mabel Nielsen; Mrs. Herman (Dorothy) Martin, Jens Peter Smith (born Nov 2 1910), Mrs. Stanley (Martha) Tryboski, Chicago. One son, Gerhart, preceded him in death. Also surviving are one sister who resides in Chicago and a brother that still lives in Denmark. 1905 census residence #17 owns farm. Andrew 41, wife Anna D. 32 both born Denmark, children Anna S. 10 and Norah A. 8 born Illinois, children Gehardt K. 4, Agnes S. 2, Andrew 1 born WI. 1905 Sec 27 (school on the property) and sec 2       1920 sec 2 = A. Smith

 

SMITH, Gerhart (31 Oct 1900 - 30 July 1924)

Gerhart Smith, the 23-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Smith, Sr., residing southwest of Owen, died at the hospital at Chippewa Falls from blood poisoning. The young man scratched a knuckle on his middle finger of his left hand while washing an automobile and a few days later blood poisoning developed. He had medical aid at once and for several days was confined to his home, hoping to get relief. His case, however, did not yield to the treatment administered, and he was taken to the hospital at Chippewa Falls, where every effort was made to save his life. He fought bravely for ten days, but the poison had such a grip that his young life was snuffed away. He was a graduate of the Owen High School. Funeral services were held at the home and at the Danish Lutheran Church at Withee. Burial in the church cemetery. He leaves to mourn, his parents, three sisters, Norah, Agnes and Mable, and one brother, Andrew.

 

SMITH, Robert W. 28, sister Netti 35, both born WI.

1905 census, residence #24 owns farm. Sec 11 1915 = Rasmussen property

 

SMITH, Christopher S. (1797-Dec 1881)

Dec-22-1881: “Mr. Smith the aged father of Mrs. W. H. (Julia) Mead and Mrs. John (Jannette) McCarty of Longwood, was buried here yesterday. One by one they pass away.” 1891 History: “...Julia A. Smith (Mead), who was born in Herkimer County, New York, May 26, 1842, the daughter of Christopher and Betsy (Pedricks) Smith the latter now lives with Mr. Mead (Harry), at the age of eighty-two years....” (Greenwood cemetery: Betsy Pedricks Smith born 1808 died May 10, 1899.)  1880 sec 28, 29, 34 no residences on property J.R. Smith and Jenett nee Smith McCarty (by 1893 was J. McCarty)

 

SMITH, Edward J. (5 Oct 1830-?)

Edward Smith, proprietor of the Smith Hotel, and also a farmer of Longwood, was born in Hull, England, October 5, 1830, the son of William Smith, also a native of England. He brought his family to the United States in the spring of 1831, settling in Albany, New York, where the father was engaged in black-smithing until his death, which occurred in 1838. His  mother, formerly Elizabeth Doyle, was a native of Ireland. The parents had four children, of whom three are still living, Edward, William and Elizabeth. After the father's death, the mother removed with her family to Troy, New York. He came to this county in 1879, settling at Christie, thence to Greenwood in 1880, and to Longwood in 1881, where he is engaged in running a hotel and also in farming. He owns ten acres of land. Dr. Smith has cooked in logging camps every winter but this. History 1891  

 

 

1900 census residence #206 1893 sec 27 (EJS) 1905 = Sheldon property

Smith, Edward

Head

W

M

10/1830

69

M

47

 

 

England

Amanda

Wife

W

F

6/1838

62

M

47

8

7

Vermont

Mildred M.

Daughter

W

F

2/1875

25

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Peterson, James

Boarder

W

M

3/1872

28

S

 

 

 

Michigan

 

 

SMITH, Walt (11 Aug 1867–29 Nov 1903)

Smith, Walter was born in Manitowac, Wis., Aug. 11, 1867, where he spent the first eleven years of his life, coming to Clark county in 1878, locating in Longwood in 1881, where he together with his father kept a hotel, some few years later he engaged in business for himself. He was married Dec. 4, 1889, to Clara Moody of La Crosse county, Wis. “News was received in the city that Walt Smith of Withee, died at his home. His death was due to diabetes. Mr. Smith was brought up at Longwood, being the son of Mr. and Mrs. Ed Smith who are old residents of this county. He leaves a wife (formerly Clara Moody), a brother and two sisters to mourn his death.”  1893 sec 3 = W.H. Smith 1905 = Mortimer property

 

SMITH marriage 10 Sep 1895

Miss Alice L. Worden of the town of Thorp and Edward S. Smith of Longwood, were married at the residence of the bride's parents. They will reside at Withee.

 

SNORTUM, Ole C. (1840-1908)

Ole C. Snortum and his wife Anna (10 Jun 1850- 10 July 1919) are both buried in the Emmanuel Lutheran Cemetery in Longwood, they were members of that church, their son Juluis Jorgen Christian Snortum was confirmed there in 1905.  Their daughter Anna married John N. Wing (1873-12 April 1918). The Wing family is on the 1915 and 1920 Longwood Plat Maps in sec 3. 1905 census residence #22 owns farm. Snortum, Ole C. 64, wife Anna H. 55, daughter Anna H. 20, all born Norway; son Juluis J.C. 14, born WI.

 

1900 census residence #163 1905 sec 2 1915 = Wing property

Snortum, Ole

Head

W

M

6/1840

59

M

15

 

 

Norway

Anna

Wife

W

F

6/1850

49

M

15

2

2

Norway

Anna

Daughter

W

F

5/1885

15

S

 

 

 

Norway

Julius

Son

W

M

6/1891

9

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

 

SORENSON, Ole (1866-?)

Daughter Bertha Marie Sorenson confirmed at the Longwood Emmanuel Lutheran Church in 1907. (No further info found on site.) 1905 census residence #103 rental farm?. Sorenson, Ole 39, wife (not named) 49, both born Norway, daughter (not named) 12, born IA.

 

1900 census residence #186  1905 sec 3

Sorensen, Ole

Head

W

M

1/1866

34

M

12

 

 

Norway

Andrine

Wife

W

F

8/1856

43

M

12

 

 

Norway

Bertha

Daughter

W

F

1/1893

7

S

 

 

 

Iowa

 

SORENSON, Martin (1 Feb 1861-8 May 1934)

Martin Sorenson was born in Botne, Norway, Feb. 1, 1861, and came to America in 1881. A year after he arrived here he was united in marriage to Hannah Bredeson and resided on his farm in Longwood ever since he came to Clark County. Mr. Sorenson passed away at his home one mile east of Longwood on May 8 1934, at the age of 73 years. He is survived by his wife, one daughter, Mrs. J. H. Peterson of Anoka, Minn., four sons, Oluf of Milwaukee, Hendrick, who resides in the west and Emil and Eddie at home, one brother, Nels of Longwood, two sisters, Mrs. Olette Hanson of Stevens Point and Mrs. Stina Nelson of Unity.

1905 census residence #108 owns farm. Sorenson, Martin B. 44, wife Hannah 43, both born Norway, children, all born WI: Olef 21, Hendrick 19, Emil B. 15, Edward A. 9.
 

1900 census residence #201 1893 - 1920 sec 23

Sorensen, Martin

Head

W

M

2/1861

39

M

19

 

 

Norway

Hanah

Wife

W

F

11/1861

38

M

19

6

5

Norway

Nora

Daughter

W

F

2/1882

18

S

 

 

 

Norway

Olaf

Son

W

M

1/1884

16

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Hendrik

Son

W

M

4/1886

14

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Lee

Son

W

M

4/1888

12

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Emil

Son

W

M

7/1890

9

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Edward

Son

W

M

2/1895

4

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

 

 

SORENSON, Nils Kristian (4 Sept 1855-22 Jun 1946)

The 1900 Federal census has Nils Sorenson and family in Hixon Township, that census yet to be detailed on this site. The 1906 Plat Map for Hixon Township has Nils Sorenson in sec 22, just north of the village of Withee and also in Longwood Township sec 25, but no residence is on that property (1905 plat map). Nils was the brother of Juluis and Martin Sorenson, founders of the Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Longwood in 1884 (see church quote following)Various source records site members of the Nils Sorenson as being from Longwood, the oldest part of Hixon Township (organized in 1873) which encompassed R 4W, R3W, and R2W before it was split during the years 1880-1915. Longwood, R2W, was organized into a separate Township in 1896. This family has been included in the “Longwood Township 1905 and prior” biography because of their family ties and involvement in the early developement of Longwood.

 

History of Emmanuel Lutheran Church:The first Norwegian to set foot on this territory is unknown, but a little picture begins to shape itself about the year 1884. On June 15th of that year the first known church service was held for Norwegians at the home of Julius Sorenson, in a log house one mile east of Longwood (now the James Peterson Farm, 1969, Section 26 NE 1/4, NE 1/4). Those who were known to be present at that meeting included the families of Julius Sorenson, Martin Sorenson, Nels Sorenson and Hans Jorstad.”

 

SORSENSON, Karoline nee Ingvaldsen (22 Dec 1855-2 Nov 1941)

Mrs. Nels Sorenson, the former Karoline Ingvaldsen, was born in Haave, Norway, Dec. 22, 1855 and was married there Nov 10 1878 to Nels Sorneson. The Sorenesons came to this country June 5 1884, and after spending 14 years in Withee they moved (1898) to a farm in the Town of Longwood, where they spent 24 years. Since that time they made their home in the Village of Longwood. Mrs. Sorenson passed away on Nov 2 1941 and funeral services were held at the Longwood Lutheran Church, burial in the church cemetery. Besides her husband, she is survived by three of the 11 children, Mrs. Inga Kuester, who cared for her mother during her illness, William O. Sorenson, Goodman; Mrs. Maurice Furru, Minneapolis.

 

SORENSON marriage3 Nov 1901
At three o'clock Sunday afternoon, Nov 3 1901, at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nels Sorenson, of Longwood, occurred the marriage of their daughter Nora Sophia to James Henry Peterson of Stanley. The couple were attended by Wm. F. Kuester of Withee as best man and Inga Sorenson of Withee, cousin of the bride, as best maid. For the winter, the couple will make their home with the bride's parents at Longwood.

 

SORENSON, Mrs. Nels’ mother Karen Christensen (1830 - 1926)
Mrs. Karen Christensen, aged 95 years, six months, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Nels K. Sorenson, five miles south of Owen. She had been in ill health for many years, and for the past four years has not been able to leave her bed. She was born in Norway, and came to America in 1905, taking up her residence with her daughter. She leaves to mourn, three sons, who reside in Norway, and one son who makes his home in Seattle. Funeral services were held from the Norwegian Lutheran Church at Longwood, and interment took place in Greenwood Cemetery.

 

SORENSON, Carl J. (21 Feb 1880-11 July 1924)

Carl J. Sorenson was born in Chirstiania, Norway, Feb 21 1880. Died at Antigo, Wis., July 11 1924. He came to America with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nels K. Sorenson, in June 1884. The family lived at Unity three years and near Longwood, one year, moving to Withee in 1889 where Carl grew to manhood. He was married to Irene DeLong, April 30 1914, at Rhinelander, Wis. She died one year later, leaving an infant son only one day old. His wife’s widowed mother has ever since lived in his home and lovingly and unselfishly devoted herself to caring for those so suddenly bereft of wife and mother. Besides these he leaves father, mother, three brothers and two sisters, Arthur, Oscar and Lulu, who live with their parents on the home farm near Longwood, William of Goodman, Wis. and Mrs. Inga Kuester of Menomonie, Wis. He was laid to rest beside his wife at Shiacton, Wis.

 

SORENSON, Arthur (19 Dec 1889 - 9 Oct 1926)

Arthur Sorenson, aged 36, a World War veteran, died at his home south of Owen Oct 9 1926. Funeral services were conducted at the home and at the Norwegian Lutheran Church at Longwood. Burial was made in the church cemetery. The Albert Van Huizen Post No. 123 of the American Legion of Owen conducted the services at the grave. Arthur Sorenson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nels K. Sorenson, was born in Withee, Dec 19 1889. He has always made his home in Clark County. Mr. Sorenson was in training for duty overseas, at Camp Grant, Ill,, and Camp Hancock, Ga., in Machine Gun Battalion Co. I, from July 25 1918, until March 1 1919, when he received his honorable discharge. Besides his parents, he is survived by two sisters and two brothers, Mrs. Inga Kuester of St. Paul, and Lulu, at home; William G. of Goodman, Wis., and Oscar, at home. Five brothers and one sisters preceded him in death.

 

SORENSON, Oscar (10 Oct 1893 – 5 Jan 1937)

Oscar Sorenson passed away at the home of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nels Sorenson at Longwood Jan 5 1937. The cause of his death was pneumonia. Deceased was single and owned and operated a filling station and tavern at Longwood for several years.

Funeral services were held from the home and from the church at Longwood. Burial in the Longwood Cemetery.


SORENSON, Julius (11 July 1858-12 Dec 1932)
Julius Sorenson for many years a resident of Longwood, passed away Dec. 12th, 1932. Julius Sorenson was born in Oslo, Norway July 11 1858. He was confirmed in the Lutheran Church there and on May 17 1879 was married to Miss Marie Davidson daughter of a famous music professor and noted violinist. They came to America on their wedding trip, arrived in Withee, and settled as pioneers in Longwood Township. There were then no wagon roads, so they did their traveling and their farm work with oxen. In time their log house and crude barn were replaced with better structures, and now they have a sightly brick residence and a fine complement of barns and outbuildings. Mrs. Sorenson preceded him in death, Dec. 3, 1924. To this union were born eight children, Carl and Henry on the home farm, Cecelia (Mrs. Louis Jackson) of Longwood Julia (Mrs. R.C. Erickson) of Neenah Jennie (Mrs. H. A. Jorenby) of Hillsdale. Three children preceded him in death, John, Hilda and Amy (Mrs. Melvin Erickson). He is also survived by two sisters, Mrs. Oline Hansen of Stevens Point and Mrs. Stine Nelson of Marshfield, two brothers, Nels and Martin Sorenson of Longwood. Funeral services were held from the home and the Longwood Lutheran Church. Burial was made in the church cemetery. (Obit combined with 1918 History)

 

1905 Plat book “Patrons”: Sorenson, Julius, Farmer and Township Supervisor, S. 26, T. Longwood, P. O., Withee.

 

 1905 census residence #107 owns farm: Julius 46, wife Maria S. 46, both born Norway. Children, all born WI: Carl W. 24, Celia G. 22, Henry G. 20, John S. 18, Julia C. 14, Amy M. 11, Jennie S. 9, Hilda A. 6. 

 

1900 census residence #202 1893 – 1920 sec 26

Sorensen, Julius

Head

W

M

7/1858

41

M

20

 

 

Norway

Maria

Wife

W

F

3/1858

41

M

20

8

8

Norway

Carl

Son

W

M

2/1881

19

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Celia

Daughter

W

F

1/1883

17

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Henry

Son

W

M

4/1885

15

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

John

Son

W

M

4/1887

13

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Julia

Daughter

W

F

5/1891

9

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Emy

Daughter

W

F

2/1894

6

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

June

Daughter

W

F

4/1896

4

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Hilda

Daughter

W

F

4/1899

1

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Soral

Father

W

M

11/1816

83

W

 

 

 

Norway

 

SORENSON, Marie Sigrid nee Davidson (7 Mar 1859-3 Dec 1924)

Marie Sorenson was born March 7 1859 at Fredrickshald, Norway, and died Dec 3 1924 at her home at Longwood, aged 65 years, 8 months and 27 days. She was united in marriage to Mr. Julius Sorenson on May 17, 1880 at Chirstiania, Norway. The young couple immigrated to America May 21st of the same year. They came directly to their present home at Longwood in 1880, where they have resided during the past 44 years. Eight children were born to this union, three sons and five daughters. One son, John, and two daughters, Mrs. Melvin Erickson and Miss Hilda Sorenson preceded her in death. She is survived by her husband, two sons, Carl and Henry at the family home, three daughters, Mrs. Louis Jackson of Longwood, Mrs. Rudolph Erickson of Larson, Wis., and Mrs. Harold Jorenby of Greenwood, Wis., fours sisters and one brother. One sister and the brother are still in Norway, one sister in Idaho, one in Washington and one in Chicago, Ill.

 

SORENSON, John S. (25 April 1887-14 April 1918)

John Sigward Sorenson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Sorenson, was born April 25, 1887, on the home farm in the town of Longwood. His death April 14 1918, at the age of 30 years, 11 months and 20 days. He graduated from the Short Course in Agriculture at the State University at Madison in March 1912. He continued his education at the Chicago Veterinary College, from which he graduated April 11, 1916. Dr. Sorenson practiced as Veterinarian during the summer of 1916 at Mayville, N.D., but came back to Wisconsin and took up practice at Fond du Lac, where he was until Sept. 1917, when he came home on account of his heath. Dr. Sorenson leaves to mourn his loss his parents, two brothers, Carl W. and Henry Sorenson, and five sisters, Mrs. Louis Jackson, Mrs. Rudolph Erickson, Mrs. Melvin Erickson, Jennie and Hilda Sorenson.

 

SORENSON, Hilda Amelia (3 April 1899-20 Aug 1921)

Hilda Sorenson was born April 3, 1899, in the town of Longwood. Her death occurred Aug. 20th, 1921, at the age of 22 years, 4 months and 17 days. Hilda leaves to mourn her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Julius Sorenson, two brothers, Carl W. and Henry Sorenson, and three sisters, Mrs. Louisa Jackson, Mrs. Rudolph Erickson, and Jennie Sorenson. One sister, Mrs. Amy Erickson preceded her in death.

 

SORENSON marriage April 1922

Harry Jorenby and Jennie Sorenson were united in marriage The groom is a son of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Jorenby of Greenwood and the bride a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Sorenson of Longwood. They will make their home on the groom's farm northwest of this city.

 

SORENSON, Henry Gilbert (5 April 1885 – 9 Jan 1948)

“Henry Sorenson Laid to Rest at Longwood” Henry Gilbert Sorenson, son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Sorenson, was born in the town of Longwood on April 5, 1885, on the farm known now as the Jim Peterson farm, where he lived until about 6 years ago. He was baptized and confirmed in the Longwood Emmanuel congregation and was a member of the Lutheran Church at Longwood. For the past few years his health has been failing, and on January 9th he entered the Neillsville hospital where he passed away the same evening. He is survived by his brother Carl, with whom he made his home, and three sisters, Mrs. Celia Jackson, Greenwood, Wis.; Julia (Mrs. Rudolph Erickson) Winchester, Wis.; and Jennie (Mrs. Harold Jorenby), Hillsdale, Wis. He was preceded in death by his parents, one brother John and two sisters, Amy (Mrs. Melvin Erickson), and Hilda Sorenson. Funeral services were held at the Lutheran Church at Longwood, with burial in the church cemetery.

 

SORENSON, Carl William (3 Feb 1881-28 Feb 1951)

Carl W. Sorenson passed away at his home at Longwood February 28, after a lingering illness, at the age of 70 years and 25 days. He had been a pioneer resident of the Longwood community. Carl W. Sorenson, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Julius Sorenson was born on February 3 1881 in the Town of Green Grove (should be town of Longwood). On June 9, 1909 he was united in marriage to Mathilda Elstrom at Greenwood. She passed away in 1938 and on February 6, 1943 he was again united in marriage to Mrs. Gunda Awe. He was assessor of the Town of Longwood at the time of his death. Mourning his departure are his widow, three sisters, Mrs. Cecelia Jackson, Greenwood; Mrs. Jennie Jorenby, Hillsdale; Mrs. Julia Erickson, Winchester; a nephew, Carlton, who made his home with Mr. and Mrs. Sorenson for many years; six step-children, Everett Awe, Lake Villa, Ill; Merlin Awe, Zion, Ill.; Myron Awe, serving with the army in Japan, Mrs. Gertrude Kettner, Waukegan, Ill.; Mrs.

Mildred Peaslee, Lake Villa, Ill.; Mrs. Ilene Pribbernow, Owen and a step-grandson, John Awe, who has made his home with him for the past five years. 1920 sec 23

 

SPAULDING, D. J.   

Spaulding, Mrs. Dudley J. (*20 Dec. 1837 - 20 June 1922)*Birth date done on date calculator.

Mrs. Dudley J. Spaulding of Black River Falls died at her home in that city June 20, aged 84 years and 6 months. She was born in Toronto, Canada, and came to the Falls in 1856 to visit her sister, Mrs. Wm. T. Price, and that next year married Dudley J. Spaulding, who became one of the large operators in lumbering on Black River, and was well known throughout this community. (No further info on site)1880 D.J.S. estate: 1,2,3,12,13,17,18,25,28,29,32,36          

1893 sec 36 (1905 sec 36 = Schroeder)

 

SPENCER, M. V.   1905 Plat map sec 22 residence on property 1915 Trentek ? property

 

SPERBECK, Lorenzo

Sperbeck family mostly lived in the Greenwood area prior to moving to Medford, Taylor Co. area during early 1900’s. Joseph Gibson sec 16 on 1880 Plat Map and sec 15 & 16 on 1905 Plat Map married Matilda Catharine Sperbeck, daughter of Henry and Mary Armstrong Sperbeck.  (See Joseph Gibson bio for Sperbeck banking and info)1893 Longwood Plat Map sec 16 residence on property 1905 = Cornwall property

 

STEINERT

Greenwood History 1853-1934: “At one time Steinert brothers had a cigar factory where Rees' bakery now is. They remained in business here only a short time.” Found no other reference to Steinert cigar makers, possibly the same as or related to the following two brothers (?) related to Julius Steinert?

 

1900 census residence #219  (Farmer)

Stinert, Marten

Head

W

M

1/1870

30

M

1

 

 

Germany

Ida

Wife

W

F

1/1872

28

M

1

0

0

Wisconsin

 

1900 census residence #226  1893 sec 19  (logger) 1905 = J. Steinert

Steinert, Ernest

Head

W

M

11/1864

35

S

 

 

 

Germany

 

STEINERT, Anton Theodore Julius (1853 – 4 Oct 1932)

Anton Theodore Julius Steinert, age 79, died at his home in the town of Longwood.  He was one of the earliest settlers in that vicinity, having resided on the home farm for the past thirty-six years. His death was caused from heart trouble and dropsy, from which he had been a sufferer for the past two years. He is survived by his widow, one son, Arthur, who is at home, and one daughter, Mrs. W.F. Miller of Chicago. Funeral services at Congregational Church in Owen, interment in Riverside Cemetery. 1905 census residence #79 owns farm: Juluis A. 50, wife Henrietta C. 42, both born Germany; children born WI: Anna H.P. 14, Arthur H.W. 12. Lodger: Wlm R.W. Neitzel 23, born Germany.

 

1900 census residence #194 1893 sec 3   1905 sec 8 & 19  1915 - 1920 sec 8

Stienut, Julius

Head

W

M

6/1855

45

M

16

 

 

Germany

Henrietta

Wife

W

F

9/1862

37

M

16

4

2

Germany

Anna

Daughter

W

F

9/1890

9

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

Arthur

Son

W

M

3/1893

7

S

 

 

 

Wisconsin

 

STEINERT, Henrietta nee Arndt (6 Sep 1861 – 15? Nov 1936)

Funeral services were held Nov. 18th, for Mrs. Henrietta Arndt Steinert. Interment was made in Riverside Cemetery. Henrietta Arndt Steinert, daughter of Otto and Henrietta Arndt was born in Posen, Germany, Sept. 6, 1861. She came to the United States at the age of 17 years, and with her parents, settled in Milwaukee in 1884. She came with her parents to Withee, and settled on a wild piece of land, 1 ½ miles west of Withee, on which is now the Hagen farm. After several years she was married to Anton Theoodore Julius Steinert, who preceded her in death. This union was blessed with five children: Arthur of Withee, Anna Miller of Chicago, and three who preceded her in death in infancy. At the time of her death she was 76 years, 2 months and 5 days old. She being a patient sufferer for 37 years.

 

STROCK, John   1905 Plat map sec 9 residence on property 1915 = Jensen property

1905 Plat book “Patrons: Stock, John, Farmer, S. 9, T. Longwood, P. O. Withee, Clark Co resident since 1902. No further info

 

SWENSEN, Martin     1905 Plat map sec 29 no residence on property (brother of Edmond, included in his census, moved to Iowa by 1906)

 

SWENSON, Edmond  (c1856-?)

SEVENSON, Edmond 49 born Norway, wife Mary 41, wife and children all born WI: Alida M. 16, Arthur O. 7.  Brother, Martin Sevenson 45, born Norway. 1905 census residence #6 owns farm.  1905 - 1920 Sec 28 & 34   “Longwood Dairy Co.”

 

Vine, Mary Alida nee SWENSON (1889 - 1980)
Mary Alida Vine wrote several accounts of homestead days in northeastern Montana, which are now at the University of Montana Archives at Missoula. She was a newspaper correspondent for Faith Lutheran Home, where she had lived since 1976, until several months ago when ill health forced her to stop. She died Saturday, July 26, 1980, in Williston, N.D. hospital. She was 91. She was born April 24, 1889 at Dodgeville, Wis., a daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edmond Swenson. In 1902, the family moved to Greenwood, Clark County, where she was raised. When she became 21, she moved west to Montana to homestead nine miles northeast of Vida. She taught rural schools in that area for some years. She married Pricy Vine on June 30, 1915 at St. Paul, Minn. and they made their home near Vida. He died in 1970. She was interested in plants, beadwork and music, in addition to her writing.

She is survived by a son, John of Vida. Besides her husband, she was preceded in death by a daughter, Blanche Vine Ness and a son Floyd. Burial was in Greenwood Cemetery at Wolf Point. Greenwood High School class of 1908: Alida Swenson (Mrs. P. Vine), Poplar, MT

 

Greenwood High School class of 1915: Arthur Swenson, Longwood, WI; E. Peterson (Normal School), LaCrosse, WI. 1960-61 Clark Co. Directory: Swenson Arthur (Post Office) Owen 1 (residence) Longwood Township(sec) 28

 

~Next Page~

 

 


© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.

 

Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.

 

Become a Clark County History Buff

 

Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.

 

Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel

 

CLARK CO. WI HISTORY HOME PAGE