History: The Catholic Church in Wood Co., Wisconsin, 1923

Poster: History Buffs


----Source: History of Wood County, Wisconsin compiled by George O. Jones, Norman S. McVean and others: illustrated. H. C. Cooper, Jr. & Co., 1923, CHAPTER XIV.

----1923 Catholic Church History of Wood Co., Wisconsin




SS. Peter and Paul Catholic Congregation, Wisconsin Rapids. The beginning of SS. Peter and Paul Parish can be traced to the thirties of last century. Seven years before there was a diocese in Wisconsin, a small congregation had been formed in this part of the territory, now state, of Wisconsin. Since 1837 she has gathered to her bosom three generations of the faithful. Father Van Den Broeck, O. P. of St. John's Church, Green Bay, offered up the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass for the first time, as far as is known, in what is now Wisconsin Rapids 85 years ago, and after his transfer to Little Chute in 1838 he continued to attend to the spiritual needs of the people for a number of years. Rev. Anton Godhardt, O. F. M., pastor of St. Mary's Church, Portage, took charge of the Rapids in 1850 and had services till 1854. The same year Rev. Louis Dael, pastor of St. Joseph's Church, Fond du Lac, succeeded Father Godhardt and built a small frame church 20 by 30 feet on the West Side (on Third Avenue North), then known as Centralia, where Mrs. G. A. Correveau's residence now stands. The land had been donated by Mr. J. B. Marcotte. Prior to this services were celebrated in the homes of Catholic people. In 1856 Rev. E. A. Godfert, pastor of St. Mary's, Green Lake County, took charge of the parish and remained till his successor, Rev. James Stehle, the first resident pastor, was appointed in 1857. In the spring of the same year the church, erected in 1854 was destroyed by fire. The Catholic population had increased remarkably on the east side of the Wisconsin River, then known as Grand Rapids, and a new location for the church was selected on the East Side, Second Street North. Mr. Francis Biron donated the lots. Messrs. J. L. Cotey and James La Breche were secretary and treasurer respectively of the parish at the time. Father Stehle began the building of the church, and his brother, Rev. N. Stehle, who succeeded him the same year, completed it. He was transferred to Stevens Point in 1859 and the Rt. Rev. Bishop Henni of Milwaukee, appointed Rev. A. T. David his successor. During his pastorate the church was completed inside and a residence erected. In August, 1861, he was succeeded by Rev. M. Hens, O. M. Cap., who remained three years. Rev. J. Spierings, his successor, had charge of the parish nine months. During the next 15 months it was attended from Stevens Point by Rev. M. Schwebach. In April, 1866, Father Stehle, who had been here a few years previous, was appointed pastor again, but died a few months after. Father Schwebach, of Stevens Point, took charge of the parish again for nearly a year. Rev. John Gleason was appointed pastor in June, 1867, and remained till February, 1869. During his administration the foundation for the present church was laid and the superstructure was well under way when he was removed. His successor, Rev. Joseph McDonald, arrived in April, 1869. Owing to the financial conditions, not much was done toward completing the church building. After his removal in August, 1871, the parish was again attended from Stevens Point for a few months. In December of the same year, Rev. Francis Tanguay was sent by the Rt. Rev. J. Melcher, D. D., Bishop of Green Bay, to take charge of the parish. Through his untiring efforts, seconded by the people, the church was completed and solemnly dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Melcher, D. D., June 29, .1873. Father Tanguay was transferred to Stevens Point and died at Appleton, in November, 1887, where he was pastor at the time. Rev. William De Kelver succeeded him at the Rapids and did a great deal to finish the church inside. In August, 1875, Father De Kelver was appointed pastor of the French parish in Green Bay. His successor at the Rapids, Rev. P. Pernin, took charge of SS. Peter and Paul Parish a month later. It was during his time that the. church was struck by lightning, causing considerable damage. In 1878 he had a church built at Rudolph. After working faithfully for three years he was succeeded by Rev. Charles Beyerle, a convert to the Catholic faith, who remained till his death, July 19, 1897. Father Beyerle worked zealously for 19 years, attending besides Wisconsin Rapids, Babcock from 1879 to 1886, Pittsville from 1879 to 1884, Altdorf from 1879 to 1886, and again from 1888 to 1897, and Rudolph from 1878 to 1884. Father Beyerle was beloved during his life and mourned in death by all irrespective of creed or nationality. He was buried in Calvary Cemetery this city. Rev. F. J. Toplak had charge of the parish until Father Beyerle's successor was appointed. In October, 1897, the newly appointed pastor, Rev. W. F. Van Roosmalen, arrived. During his pastorate extensive improvements were made including a fine new rectory. He attended the mission of Altdorf from 1897 to 1900. He worked faithfully for the spiritual welfare of his people until his transfer to West De Pere, Wis., in October, 1904. The same month the Rt. Rev. Bishop Fox, D. D., of Green Bay, appointed Rev. B. Hugenroth his successor. Shortly afterwards Wisconsin Rapids was annexed to the Diocese of La Crosse. Extensive improvements were made on the church in 1906. The Rt. Rev. Jas. Schwebach, D. D., appointed the present pastor, Rev. William Reding, to succeed Father Hugenroth, July 1, 1907. Assistants to Father Reding were Fathers J. Quinn, James Raker, Hilary A. Leuther, Linus Fricker and Michael Kelnhofer. In 1886 the parish residence was remodeled and used as a parochial school. Another residence was bought for the pastor. The school was given in charge of the highly efficient Notre Dame Sisters of Milwaukee. The constant increase in attendance necessitated the building of a new school in 1895, which was enlarged in 1913. The present enrollment is 365. Plans are well under way for a new and larger school building to be erected in 1923. The congregation numbers over 400 families. It was incorporated June 30, 1886." The board of directors are: Rt. Rev. James McGavick, D. D., president, Rt. Rev. A. Ph. Kremer, vicar general, Rev. Wmi. Reding, pastor, Mr. Chas. V. Stark, secretary, and Mr. John E. Schnabel, treasurer. The societies and sodalities of the parish include the Holy Name, Knights of Columbus, Catholic Order of Foresters, Women C. O. F., Catholic Knights of Wisconsin, Catholic Daughters of America, Altar Society, Young Ladies Sodality, Young Ladies' Club, the Ladies' Aid, and the Holy Childhood. Affiliated with the parish are three troops of Boy Scouts. Headquarters for the societies are in the "Societies' Hall" over the post office.

St..Philomena's Parish, Rudolph. Up to 1878 the Catholic people of Rudolph and vicinity attended services in SS. Peter and Paul Church in Wisconsin Rapids. Their number gradually increased and the Rt. Rev. Michael Heiss, D. D., Bishop of La Crosse organized St. Philomena's Parish and annexed it, as a mission, to Wisconsin Rapids. Rev. P. Pernin was given charge of it and had a church erected the same year. His successor at the Rapids, Rev. Charles Beyerle, attended it till the summer of 1884. In the last mentioned year Father Aug. Van Sever was appointed resident pastor of Rudolph. In 1885 he opened the parochial school with the Sisters of Notre Dame in charge. Father Van Sever attended Pittsville from 1887 to 1907, Babcock from 1886 to 1901, Altdorf from 1900 to December, 1907, Nekoosa from 1900 to August, 1901, and Sigel from 1888 until the summer of 1889. After 33 years of duty faithfully fulfilled he resigned to accept a position as professor at St. John's Atonement College, Graymour, N. Y. He was succeeded at Rudolph by the present pastor, the Rev. Philip Wagner. The old buildings erected in 1878 had later become inadequate and a new location was selected on an elevation near the village. One group of parish buildings was completed in 1821. It is a massive brick structure, serving at present not only as school and Sisters' residence, for which it is intended, but also as a church. Services are held for the present in the basement. The parish is composed of 130 families. The school has an enrollment of 140 children.

St. John's Parish, Marshfield. St. John's is the largest and second oldest parish in the county. As early as 1874 Rev. Wm. De Kelver of Wisconsin Rapids said Mass in the home of Mr. Louis Rivers at "Marshfield Settlement," three miles southwest of Marshfield. The following year Rev. P. Pernin, also of Wisconsin Rapids, said Mass in the District School. Late in the fall of 1875 Rev. A. Seubert, of Menasha, had services there and baptized five children. The next two years it was attended from Stevens Point by Rev. N. July and his assistant, Rev. J. Abb. In January, 1878, Rev. A. Th. Schuettelhofer, pastor of Medford, took charge of Marshfield, and was appointed resident pastor of St. John's parish in 1880. Up to that time the district school had served as church. The same year, however, a church was erected. In the summer of 1881 Rev. Ig. Schaller succeeded Father Schuettelhofer at Marshfield. In the fall a residence was built. The following year the parochial school was opened with an attendance of 86. It was in charge of the Sisters of Notre Dame, of Milwaukee. The constant growth in attendance necessitated the erection of a new school and the old building was remodeled and used for a Sisters' home. As assistants to Father Schaller there served successively the Revs. D. Reddin, Ig. Lager, H. Yuetter, A. Gara, Joch C. Nau, and Geo. Kiefner. In 1889 Father Schaller was transferred to Tilden, and Rev. Paul Geyer succeeded him at Marshfield. The assistants to Father Geyer were the Revs. Geo. Kiefner, Aug. Birsner, A. Douven, W. Daniels, P. Dickopf and P. Schnitzler. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Schwebach, D. D., appointed Father Geyer Vicar General in the spring of 1892 and transferred him to La Crosse. Rev. John Eisen was appointed his successor. A splendid church was erected in 1893 and dedicated January 7, 1894. The school accommodations were inadequate and the need of a larger and more up to date building was felt. Work was begun in the spring of 1897 and a fine brick building was ready for use in the fall. The school enrollment last year was 487. A beautiful residence was erected in 1903. Father Eisen died in May, 1907, mourned by all irrespective of creed or nationality. As assistants to Father Eisen served Revs. A. Muehlenkamp, J. L. Kaiser, Joseph Durch, J. Neises, and F. X. Orthen. During Father Eisen's last illness Rev. P. Trierweiler of Rozelleville had charge of the parish, and remained after his death until Rev. J. F. Volz, the newly appointed pastor, arrived. During the pastorate of Very Rev. J. F. Volz a fine new residence for the Sisters has been erected, a new heating plant installed and the church redecorated. The following have been assistants during Father Volz's administration: Revs. Peter Emer, Ed. Melcher, H. Stehling, W. N. Jeuch, and A. Zinthefer. St. John's parish has a membership of about 500 families.


St. Mary's Church, Auburndale, Wisconsin

St. Mary's Parish, Auburndale. Rev. A. Th. Schuettlehofer, pastor of Medford, had services occasionally at Auburndale in the home of Mr. St. Thomas from 1878 to 1880. On his transfer to Marshfield in 1880 he had a church erected at Auburndale and attended it as a mission till his successor was appointed in 1881. Father Ignatius Schaller continued to attend St. Mary's from Marshfield for two years. The Rt. Rev. Bishop Flasch, D. D., appointed Rev. N. Kils as the first resident pastor. After a year it became a mission to Marshfield again and so remained till 1886, when Rev. John Joch was then appointed resident pastor. The following year the parochial school was opened and placed in charge of the Sisters of St. Joseph, from Green Field Park, Milwaukee, who remained until the summer of 1892. After six years of faithful work Father Joch was succeeded by Rev. Peter Schnitzler in the spring of 1892. He resigned after a few months, owing to poor health. Rev. Aug. Douven took charge of the parish in the fall of 1892 and remained four years. He was succeeded by Rev. John Brudermanns in the summer of 1896. During his pastorate of six years a new residence and a new church were erected. He was succeeded by Rev. A. W. Artmann in September, 1902. The following year Rev. Louis Brudermanns, brother of Father John Brudermanns, took charge and remained until the summer of 1904. Rev. W. Hackner was appointed his successor. In 1908 he was transferred to Bakerville and Rev. John Schumacher took charge of Auburndale. During his administration a fine school was built and various other improvements were made. After ten years of successful work he was transferred to Stratford and Rev. Arnold Muckerheide succeeded him as pastor of St. Mary's. In 1919 a handsome parish residence was built and the old parsonage remodeled for a sisters' home. The school has an enrollment of 142 children and is in charge of the competent Sisters of St. Francis of La Crosse. The parish numbers about 140 families.

St. Michael's Parish, Hewitt. The Catholics of Hewitt attended services at Marshfield till 1885. The number of Catholic families had sufficiently increased to make Hewitt a mission and the assistant to Rev. Ignatius Schaller at Marshfield said Mass in an old store building arranged for the purpose. In 1888 Rev. Constantine Nau, assistant at Marshfield at the time, was appointed first resident pastor with Bakerville as a mission. The following year a residence was erected. Father Nau resided at Bakerville a few months when he was transferred to Mosinee in the fall of 1889. Hewitt was again attended from Marshfield by Rev. Aug. Birsner, assistant to Rev. Paul Geyer, until 1891. In the summer of the last named year Rev. W. Daniels was appointed pastor of Hewitt. He immediately began the erection of a church, which was dedicated in October of the same year. The constant growth of the parish necessitated the enlarging of the church a few years later. A fine combination building, school and Sisters' residence, was erected in 1898. The school is in charge of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Milwaukee and has an enrollment of 120 children. After 13 years of faithful work Father Daniels was promoted to Marathon City. In 1904 Rev. Albert Dorrenbach succeeded him at Hewitt and after three years of successful work he was transferred to Neillsville. Rev. Adolph Miller was appointed Father Dorrenbach's successor at Hewitt July, 1907. After working for the welfare of the parish for 13 years, he resigned, owing to poor health. Rev. F. Forster, the present pastor, succeeded him in 1920. A fine new residence was erected in 1922. Plans are being considered for a new church. St. Michael's has a membership of about 130 families.

Sacred Heart Parish, Nekoosa. The Sacred Heart Parish was organized by Rev. Aug. Van Sever, of Rudolph, in 1900. A church was built and Father Van Sever remained in charge one year. Rev. Joseph Feldmann, the present pastor, was appointed in the summer of 1901. The following year a residence was erected, the church enlarged and furnished. A commodious, substantial parochial school was built in 1908. For 18 months prior to 1910, Father Feldmann had services in a public building at Port Edwards. These, however, were discontinued after the completion of the interurban street car line between Wisconsin Rapids and Nekoosa. Part of the school building was used as the Sisters' residence until the increase in school attendance needed all available room in the school building. In 1919 a residence was bought for the sisters. The school has an enrollment of 140 children and is in charge of the efficient Sisters of St. Francis. The parish has a membership of about 200 families.

St. Kilian's Parish, Sherry. St. Kilian's Church at Sherry was built in 1882. It was attended occasionally from Marshfield by Rev. Ignatius Schaller or his assistant until the year 1886. After this it was in charge of Rev. John Joch and his successors at Auburndale, Revs. P. Schnitzler, Douven, J. Brudermanns, A. W. Artmann, L. J. Brudermanns, until December, 1903. Father Bilik was then appointed resident pastor. He was succeeded by Rev. George Kiefner in August, 1905. His successor, Rev. T. Fraling, took charge of Sherry in the summer of 1907. In 1908 a parochial school was erected to replace the one opened in 1890 in charge of a layman, and given in charge of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Milwaukee. It has an enrollment of 102 children. In July, 1909, Father Fraling was transferred to St. Joseph's Ridge and Rev. Alois Kolar succeeded him. After a year Rev. Vincent Ciner was appointed pastor and remained till the spring of 1911. Father Alois Kolar was again appointed and remained until April ,1917, when the present incumbent, Rev. Francis Boos Waldeck, took charge of the parish. St. Kilian's has a membership of 120 families.

St. Lawrence Parish, Wisconsin Rapids, Wis. Previous to 1904 the Catholics in the parish of St. Lawrence were part of SS. Peter and Paul Congregation. In the spring of that year the Rt. Rev. Bishop Schwebach, D. D., of La Crosse, appointed Rev. James Korczyk pastor of the newly organized parish and through his efforts and co-operation of the people the new school and church combination building was dedicated in the fall of 1904. The congregation has grown from 50 to 200 families. In 1908 a fine parish residence was erected. The following year Father J. Korczyk was appointed professor in St. Francis Seminary and Rev. Theophilus Wojak became pastor of St. Lawrence. After three years of faithful work, Father Wojak was transferred to Wausau and the present pastor, Rev. Francis C. Ciszewski, took charge of the parish. In 1914 the church building was destroyed by fire. Work was immediately begun on the present stately building and completed the following year. During the construction of the building, the people of St. Lawrence attended services in SS. Peter and Paul Church. Plans are now being considered for a new church building. The parochial school was opened with the completion of the first building. It is in charge of the able Felecian Sisters of Milwaukee and has an enrollment of 160.

Corpus Christi Parish, Bakerville. Previous to 1886 Bakerville was part of St. John's Parish at Marshfield. A church was built in the summer of 1886 and attended as a mission from St. John's till 1888 when it became a mission to Hewitt and attended by Rev. Constantine Nau till the following year. The pastor of Hewitt resided a few months at Bakerville during 1889 prior to his transfer to Mosinee. The following two years Corpus Christi parish was attended by Father Birsner, assistant to Rev. P. Geyer, pastor at Marshfield. In 1891 Father Daniels was appointed pastor of St. Michael's, Hewitt, with Bakerville as mission. He remained in charge until he was transferred to Marathon City in 1904. His successor at Hewitt, Rev. Albert Dorrenbach, had charge of Bakerville for two years. A residence was erected in 1906 and Rev. J. Schumacher was appointed first resident pastor. On his transfer to Auburndale in 1908, he was succeeded by Father W. Hackner. In 1910 the present incumbent, Rev. Anthony Mueller, was appointed pastor of Corpus Christi Parish. A new school and sister's residence was erected in 1916 and the school given in charge of the Sisters of St. Francis of La Crosse. Wis. The attendance last year was 50. Prior to this a Catholic school in charge of a layman had existed for a number of years. The parish has about 80 families.

St. Joachim School and Church

St. Joachim's Parish, Pittsville. The pastor of SS. Peter and Paul Church of Wisconsin Rapids, Rev. Charles Beyerle, said Mass occasionally at Pittsville from 1879 to 1884 in the homes of Catholics; among these was the home of Mr. L. Ward. In 1884 Rev. Aug. Van Sever was appointed pastor of Rudolph with Pittsville as mission. Three years later a church was built and Father Van Sever remained in charge till June, 1907. For the next six months it was attended by Rev. J. Schumacher, pastor of Bakerville. In January, 1908, Rev. John Willitzer was appointed resident pastor. A residence was bought and remodeled, the church has been enlarged, beautified and furnished and a number of lots have been added to the church property. The constant increase in population warranted the building of a fine parochial school in 1920. The enrollment last year was 112. The school is in charge of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Milwaukee. The parish has a membership of 90 families. Father Willitzer attended the following missions from Pittsville: Babcock, from January, 1908, till June, 1917; Altdorf from 1908 to 1919, and Vesper from 1909 to 1919.

Holy Rosary Parish, Sigel Township. The few Catholic families at Sigel attended services at SS. Peter and Paul Church at Wisconsin Rapids until 1881, when their number had sufficiently increased to warrant the building of a church. The Rt. Rev. K. Flasch, D. D., Bishop of La Crosse, directed Rev. Klemecki, pastor of Independence, to take charge of Sigel. He had services occasionally in the homes of Messrs. John Jagodzinski and Peter Brostowitz. Mr. Joseph Jagodzinski donated five acres of land for church buildings and cemetery. A church was erected in 1882. Father Klemecki was succeeded by Rev. D. Majer of Pine Creek, who remained in charge till 1883. In the fall of the last named year it was annexed as mission to Junction City and Rev. A. Krogulski attended to Sigel for five years. In October, 1888, it became a mission to Rudolph and Father A. Van Sever attended to the spiritual needs of the Catholics of Sigel till in the summer of 1889. For the next 15 years it was a mission to Junction City and was attended by Rev. A. Babinski from 1889 to 1890, Rev. Theodore Lugowski from 1890 to 1895, Rev. J. J. Miller from 1895 to 1900 and Rev. Jas. Gara from 1900 till June, 1904. It was then annexed to the newly organized St. Lawrence Parish in Wisconsin Rapids and remained in charge of Rev. James Korczyk till 1908. Sigel had by this time increased sufficiently to support a resident pastor. A residence was erected and Rev. J. Rayski was appointed resident pastor. In September of the following year he was transferred to North Creek and Rev. Ignatius Orlig succeeded him at Sigel. He remained till August, 1910. It was again attended from St. Lawrence Parish by Rev. Th. Wojak for one year. In October, 1911, Rev. L. Kufel was appointed pastor, he remained only nine months. His successor, Rev. Francis Kulig arrived in July, 1912. In February, 1914, he was transferred to Cassel. Rev. J. J. Rolbiecki, Ph. D., now professor at the Catholic University in Washington, D. C., took charge of Sigel in March, 1914. The following January, he was promoted to Mosinee and Sigel was again annexed to St. Lawrence Parish and remained in charge of Rev. F. C. Ciszewski till May, 1922. At present Holy Rosary Church is attended by Rev. C. W. Gille of Vesper. The parish has about 50 families. The old frame church was replaced by a fine brick building about 20 years ago. The parochial school was closed after a number of years of commendable work, on account of many farmers moving to the city.

Sacred Heart Parish, Marshfield. The history of Sacred Heart Parish, Marshfield, the youngest in the county, dates back only six years. St. John's had become unable to  accommodate the constant increasing Catholic population at Marshfield. In 1916 the Rt. Rev. Bishop Schwebach, D. D., of La Crosse, considered it advisable to establish a parish on the south side of the city, and he appointed Rev. Hubert Stehling, at the time assistant to Very Rev. J. F. Volz, pastor of the newly organized Sacred Heart Parish. A site was bought on South Central Avenue, ground was broken shortly after and the efforts of Father Stehling, enthusiastically seconded by his parishioners, enabled him to erect during 1916 a fine rectory and a splendid church and school combination building, at a cost of $60,000.00. It was dedicated in the spring of 1917. Up to the present the Sisters had their living quarters in the school building, but plans are ready for a new Sisters' home. The church and school accommodations are rapidly becoming inadequate and building of a new church in keeping with the other splendid buildings is only a question of the near'future. The school is in care of the Sisters of Notre Dame of Milwaukee; it has an attendance of 228. The parish has a healthy growth and its membership runs up to nearly 300 families.

St. James Parish, Vesper, Wis. St. James Parish was organized by Rev. John Willitzer of Pittsville, who said the first Mass in Adams Hall, October 15, 1909. Prior to the erection of St. James Parish, the Catholics of Vesper attended services at SS. Peter and Paul in Wisconsin Rapids and at St. Philomena's Church, Rudolph. Mr. James Carroll donated an acre of land for parish buildings. The beautiful brick church building was dedicated by Rt. Rev. Bishop Schwebach, D. D., Nov. 24, 1910. It remained a mission of Pittsville till Aug. 1, 1919. A fine residence was bought and Rev. W. C. Gille was appointed first resident pastor. St. James has grown from 28 to 72 families. Plans are at present considered to enlarge the church. Father Gille has attended Altdorf as a mission since 1919 and Holy Rosary Church at Sigel since last May.

St. Joseph's Church, Altdorf. St. Joseph's Parish consists chiefly of Swiss from Altdorf, Canton Uri, Switzerland. Rev. Charles Beyerle of Wisconsin Rapids, said Mass for the first time at Altdorf in the summer of 1879 in the home of Mr. Leo Ruesch, and for awhile continued to hold them there occasionally. Later on services were held in the home of Mr. Martin Steiner. In 1886 a church was built on land donated by Mr. Hubert Schlig. Rev. Krogulski attended St. Joseph's from Junction City from 1886 to 1888. Altdorf then became a mission to Wisconsin Rapids, and Father Beyerle remained in charge till his death in 1897. His successor at Wisconsin Rapids, Rev. W. F. Van Roosmalen, attended Altdorf as a mission for three years. In 1900 it was annexed to Rudolph and Rev. Aug. Van Sever took care of the spiritual needs of the Catholics of Altdorf until the end of the year 1907. Rev. John Willitzer was appointed resident pastor of Pittsville in January, 1908, with Altdorf and Babcock as missions, and had charge of Altdorf till July, 1919, when it became a mission to the newly organized St. James parish at Vesper. The number of families of St. Joseph's parish is 29. Extensive improvements were made on the church during the summer of 1922.

St. Wenceslaus Parish, Milladore.  The credit of organizing St. Wenceslaus Parish at Milladore is due to Rev. J. A. Blaschke, at that time pastor of La Crosse, Wis. As early as 1882 Father Blaschke celebrated Mass for the Catholic people at Milladore in the store building of Mr. Frank Doleza. He continued to have services occasionally till the fall of 1885. In 1883 a church was built. Rev. John Joch was appointed pastor of Sherry in the spring of 1886 with Milladore as a mission, and had charge of it till 1891. During the next two years it was attended by Rev. Theodore Lugowski from Junction City. In 1894 it was again a mission to St. Wenceslaus Parish, La Crosse, and in charge of Father J. A. Blaschke. Rev. J. J. Miller, pastor of Dorchester, attended it the next two years. During 1897 and 1898 Rev. Adolph Miller, pastor of Colby, attended to the spiritual needs of the Catholics of Milladore. After his transfer to Bloomer, it became a mission to Junction City and Father J. J. Miller had charge of it for the next three years. It again became a mission to Colby in 1901 and Father Adolph Miller attended it till in the fall of 1903. Rev. Bilik and his successors at Sherry, Revs. Geo. Kiefner, T. Frahling, Alois Kolar, Vincent Ciner, Alois Kolar, and the present incumbent Rev. Boos Waldeck, have taken care of Milladore ever since. St. Wenceslaus is in a flourishing condition; it has a membership of about 150 families. Plans for a new church are being considered, and the appointment of a resident pastor is receiving serious consideration.

All Saints Parish, Babcock. Rev. Charles Beyerle, pastor of Wisconsin Rapids, said Mass occasionally in the Township of Remington, four miles from the present village of Babcock, in the homes of Messrs. John Molloy and Wm. Noltner and in the public school, from 1879 to 1886. Rev. Aug. Van Sever of Rudolph took charge of it in 1886 and continued to have services in the homes of the Catholics and in the public school until the small church erected near the village of Babcock was completed in 1887. Father Van Sever remained in charge until Rev. Joseph Feldmann was appointed first resident pastor of Nekoosa in 1901, when it was made a mission to Nekoosa. Father Feldmann had the church moved into the village and enlarged. In January, 1908, it was annexed to Pittsville. Father Willitzer considerably improved the church building during his administration. During the summer of 1917 it became a mission to Necedah and has been attended by the following priests successively: Revs. J. B. Meissner, O. M. I., Michael Pollock, F. S. Szymczak, and S. A. Krakowiecki. All Saints numbers about 30 families. By Rev. William Reding.