History: Scranton, Wood Co., Wis., 1881

Poster: History Buffs

Surnames: Bullis Mosher Anthony Harlan Hiles Seely Carpenter Tucker Downing Houston Jarvis

----Source: 1881 History of Northern Wisconsin, pg. 1215-1216.

----1881 History of Scranton, Wood Co., Wisconsin.


Scranton is a village in the town of Dexter, located in Section 29, Town 22, Range 2 east, on the east fork of the Black River, and a station on the Green Bay & Minnesota Railroad, near the line of Wood and Jackson counties. The first settler in the village was E. C. Bullis, who came to this region March 17, 1873. This same year Mr. Bullis erected a frame house, it being the first of any kind in the village. The first couple joined together by the holy bands of matrimony were Mr. P. Ryan and Miss Mary Bullis. They were pronounced man and wife by Frank Mosher, Justice of the Peace. The first children born were Frank and Laura Bullis, twins. They were born on the twenty-fourth day of February, 1874. The first death was Mrs. Susan Anthony, at the age of thirty-four years, February, 1876. The first school was established January, 1876, Miss Jennie Harlan, teacher. At the time of commencing the school there were some fifteen pupils. On the fourth day of November, 1873, the post-office was established, E. C. Bullis receiving the appointment of Postmaster, having held the office since the establishment up to the present time. Mr. George Hiles, proprietor of saw and shingle mills does a business, when running, that keeps about fifteen men employed. The principal business men in the village is James Hiles, general store; Benjamin Seeley, carpenter; William Tucker, tinsmith, and William Downing, blacksmith. There is one hotel in the village, owned and managed by Mr. E. C. Bullis, Postmaster and founder of the village. The saw-mill and shingle mills have not been operated for some weeks, on account of some misunderstanding with the railroad company. The principal shipments are lumber and shingles. Population about sixty-five.


GEORGE HILES, (lumberman)

SAMUEL HILES, (lumberman)

LISTOX A. HOUSTON, (farmer and hotel-keeper)

WILLETT R. JARVIS, (hotel-keeper and merchant)


[Wood Co., Wis. Biographies]  [Wood Co., Wis. Main Page]