Township of Sherman
Clark County, Wisconsin
"Clark Co. Illustrated"
by Saterlee, Tifft & Marsh, 1890.
SHERMAN TOWNSHIP consists of but one township, which is located in the eastern part of the county, and described as town twenty-six, range one east. It was organized in 1873. The town has been settled by eastern people and Germans chiefly; also by people from different parts of Wisconsin. The town is not as yet very thickly settled, but there are a few quite large farms here that have been worked for several years, and are as good as the best of the farms in the county. The settlement has been confined and has some valuable pine, but the greater part of the pine has already been cut. There are large sawmills on each side of the town- east and west. The Spokeville lumber, shingle, lath and excelsior mills on the west line of the town, and the large mills at Spencer on the east line. These mills, although formerly engaged in cutting pine, are now doing a large business in hardwood, and are beginning to make a fair market for hardwood in their vicinity. The Yellow River and several small tributaries to the to One Or two parts of the town, until within the past few years, but is now spreading over the entire territory. The soil and surface in different parts of the town does not differ materially. The soil is rich and easily cultivated, and the surface is slightly rolling. The town is rich in hardwood timber, and has some valuable pine, but the greater part of the pine has already been cut.
There are large sawmills on each side of the town--east and west. The Spokeville lumber, shingle, lath and excelsior mills on the west line of the town, and the large mills at Spencer on the east line. These mills, although formerly engaged in cutting pine, are now doing a large business in hardwood, and are beginning to make a fair market for hardwood in their vicinity.
The Yellow River and several small tributaries to the same flow through the town in a southerly course, and the whole territory is generally well watered.
As has been intimated, lumbering has occupied a large share of the attention of the people of the town in the past, but as the timber is cleared away, cultivation of the soil begins and agriculture is receiving its share of attention, and when the timber is all cleared away (which will be many years yet) agriculture will be the chief industry and source of employment.
There is, as yet, no railroads in operation through the town, but the Wisconsin Central Line runs but one mile east of the line, and the thriving village of Spencer, which has a population of about five hundred, is only one mile east of Sherman on the Wisconsin Central, so that the town is by no means isolated from railroads or railroad stations. Besides this the Wisconsin Central Company now grading a road across the southern part of the town, which will be the main line to St. Paul, and which is to be completed by November 1st, next. This, when completed, will make the timber, and real estate generally more valuable.
The survey of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul road also crosses the southwestern part of the town, both lines running through Spokeville, Loyal and Greenwood.
The highways and bridges through the town have received special attention during the past year or two, and they are now in excellent condition, and would do credit to a much older town. Several new bridges have been constructed, including one or two expensive iron bridges.
A stage line from Spencer through Spokeville to Loyal passes through the town, which will probably be discontinued as soon as the railroad is completed.
When the natural resources of the territory are thoroughly developed it will stand foremost among the wealthy Clark County towns.
A large cheese factory has recently been started near the central part, and is doing a good business. This is nearly the first step of any importance that has been taken in the interest of dairying, but will undoubtedly be followed by others in the near future.
There are several good district schools in the town, enough so that none of the children are any great distance from school.
The steady growth of the town is shown by the following figures: In 1875, soon after the town was organized, the population was 172; in 1880 it was 300; in 1885 it was 460, and now estimated at 600. This shows a steady and gratifying growth.
The officers of the town for the current year are as follows: Chairman, C. M. Bradford; clerk, E. G. McVean; treasurer, Otto Rehbein; assessor, John Fisher.
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.
Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.
A site created and
maintained by the Clark County History Buffs