Warner Township

Clark County, Wisconsin

By Sharon Short & the Clark Co., WI History Buffs

~Return to Index~

ANDERSON families

ANDERSON, Andy family, Warner township

1895 census, head of family: Andrew Anderson 3 male, 4 female


1905 #134 Anderson, Andy Head W M 50 M Norway Norway Farmer 8 O M F Mathilda Wife W F 46 M New York NY/England  Milo Son W M 17 S Wisconsin NY/Norway Farm Laborer 9  Alvin Son W M 15 S Wisconsin NY/Norway Farm Laborer 8  Flora Daughter W F 12 S Wisconsin NY/Norway  Hazel Daughter W F 10 S Wisconsin NY/Norway  Merrill Son W M 5 S Wisconsin NY/Norway Vine, Eliza Mother in law W F 65 W England England  Anderson, Anna Mother W F 74 W Norway Norway

  1893 sec 22 residence A. Anderson

1906 sec 22 residence Andy Anderson (1915 = Jno Andrews prop.)

1906 sec 14 no residence A. Anderson (1915 = O. Meinhardt prop)

1906 sec 36 residence Mrs. A. Anderson   (Anna, mother of Andy?)

ANDERSON , Matilda Ann nee Vine (25 May 1859 - 6 Aug 1905)

The death of Matilda Ann Anderson occurred Aug. 6. Mrs. Anderson was the oldest child of the late John T. and Eliza Vine. She was born in the state of New York, May 25, 1859, and married to Andy Anderson April 6, 1881. Six children came into their home, the oldest dying in infancy. Her husband and five children Mila , Alvin , Florence , Hazel and Merril , ranging in ages from 18 to 6, are left to mourn her loss. Deceased was a member of the Beaver Queens who ministered to her during her illness. Mrs. Anderson suffered with stomach trouble and two month ago was taken to the hospital at Marshfield in the hopes that an operation might bring recovery. Besides her husband and children Mrs. Anderson leaves her mother and one brother to mourn her loss. The funeral was held from the M. E. church, interment was made in the Greenwood cemetery, where a beautiful service was conducted by the Queens.


ANDERSON , Hatti nee ? (c? - 12 Mar 1910)

Mrs. Hattie Anderson, wife of Andy Anderson , formerly of Greenwood, died at their home in Waukesha on March 12, 1910. The cause of her death was tuberculosis of the throat, of which she suffered for over two years. She was buried in Prairie Home Cemetery, Waukesha. Besides her husband and children Mrs. Anderson leaves to mourn her loss, her mother and three sister and a brother of Milwaukee and a sister and brother of Sheboygan Falls, of which all but one were present at the funeral. The funeral was conducted from the German Reformed Church. (Second wife of the same Andy Anderson who first married Matilda nee Vine?)

  Aug 9, 1901 : Mrs. Andy Anderson , with Flora and Merrill left Friday morning via Neillsville for a visit with relatives in Lac du Flambeau, she accompanying Fred Vine up. GLEANER

No further info found on the children of Andy and Matilda nee Vine Anderson. The family evidently moved out of Clark Co soon after the death of Matilda. Andy Anderson's mother was Anna nee Fredrickson (?) (4 July 1837 -5 May 1916, buried Neillsville cemetery) the widow of Peter Anderson. (Her birth year per census was c1831) Matilda nee Vine Anderson's mother was Elizabeth nee Billings (20 Nov 1840 - 15 Feb 1908) , the widow of John Thomas Vine.

ANDERSON, Knud family, Warner township

  1880 Warner Township Census : Anderson, Knud 51 carpenter; Thea wife 38; Clara H. daugther 18 teacher; Theodore A . son 17 laborer; August A. son 12; Laura D. daughter 11; Millie A. daughter 9; Nellie M. daughter 7; Fernando W. son 4; Georgiann E. daughter 3; Birdie daughter 2; John Peterson 26 born Norway, laborer; Andre W. Anderson 25 laborer.

  1895 census, head of family: Knudt Anderson 2 male, 4 female

  1905 #68 Anderson, Shea  (Thea) Head W F 63 Widow Norway Norway Keeping Boarders 12 Rental   Birdine Daughter W F 27 S Wisconsin Norway Cook 12   Sadie Daughter W F 21 S Wisconsin Norway Chamber Maid 12   Frankie Son W M 16 S Wisconsin Norway Student 9   Adolph Son W M ? 4 W Wisconsin Norway Mill Foreman 12 (Adolph Theodore 24, married, where was wife Mary and son George?)

  1906 sec 13 no residence F. W. Anderson (Fernando, son of Knud and Thea Anderson)

"...Steve Moore, C. P. Hogue, Knud Anderson , Larry Drinkwine and Frank Zetsche came in 1870..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)

ANDERSON, Charles M. (31 Aug 1880 - 2 June 1882)

Died, at Hemlock, town of Warner, June 2, 1882, Charles M. Anderson, infant son of K. Anderson, aged 1 year, 9 months and 2 days. 

June 2, 1882 : One of Knud Anderson's children died today of that scourge, scarlet fever. There are some ten or twelve cases of it in the vicinity of Hemlock, at present.

June 1882 :  Scarlet fever is still raging at Hemlock and other places in this part of the county. Elias Peterson lost a girl yesterday with the dreaded disease. She was buried to-day in the village cemetery. Last week Mr. Anderson buried a boy who died with the same disease. (Charles M. Anderson 1880-1882, child of Knud & Thea Anderson)

Greenwood Cemetery note: There is an Emelia Anderson , no age or birth date, died 6-3-1882 whose parents are listed as Knud & Thea Anderson. There is also an Emilie b. 1865, d. 1872, but this would make one too many children as they had 15 and three (Charles 1882 and August prior 1891 plus Emelia 1882 or Emilie 1872) were dead by 1891 bio. Also think one or the other Emelia/Emilie would have been on the 1880 census but there is no Emilie or Emelia on that census. Maybe the 1891 bio was in error.


Knud Anderson, Jr., of section 15 (Hemlock) , Warner Township, was born in Tellemarkn Co, Norway, November 20, 1828, the son of Adney Anderson. The father had brought his family to the United States in 1843, settling in Norway Township, Racine Co, Wisc, where Adney died in 1845. The family then came to Jackson Co in 1854, settling in Springfield Township, where the mother died in 1878. They had seven children, all now living, namely: Knud, Sr. (#1) , Gunder, Ole, Mary, Knud, Jr., Margaret and Sarah. While in Jackson Co, Knud Anderson, Jr. (#2) , first worked as a carpenter, and then at farming. In 1869 he removed to La Crosse, where he kept a tavern one-year, and in 1870 came to this county and took up a homestead on section 18, township 27, range 1 east (Unity) , where he lived five years. He next lived on Giles Creek four years, after which he worked in Tom Miller's mill. He came to his present place, Hemlock, in 1879 , where he has been night watchman on the flood dam, and also ran the plane in the Hemlock Mills. He now has charge of the Hemlock flood dam for the Black River Improvement Co. He was married in June 1859, to Thea Burch , who was born near Christiania, Norway, the daughter of Torger Burch. They have had fifteen children , twelve of whom are still living, namely: Clara T., Adolph, Augusta, Laura, Millie, Nellie, Fernando, Georgiana, Birdie, W. Lee, Sadie and Frankie . Clara married James Rowe, of Calumet, Michigan, and has one child, Winnifred P.; Adolph , a merchant at Greenwood, married Mary Francis, and has one child, George; Augusta married Albert Huggett, of Melrose, Jackson Co, and has one child also, Ralph. "1891 Biographical History of Clark Jackson Counties, WI”

ANDERSON, Knud, Jr. (20 Nov 1828 - 23 Aug 1900)

On August 23, 1900, death visited the quiet little village of Hemlock and claimed for his own, one of the first who made their homes in the wilds of Clark Co. Mr. K. (Knud) Anderson came to this country from Norway at the age of fourteen years. Since his marriage he has passed most of his life in Clark Co. He was known by all as an honest, upright and conscientious man, who was ever ready and willing to render any little service that was in his power. It seems the more sad to have taken away one, who, although he had been a sufferer for years, never complained, and was ever patient under trials.His wife and twelve children survive him, all of whom were present when his remains were laid away at Greenwood.

The 15 children of Knud, Jr. and Thea Burch Anderson :

Charles M. b. 8-28-1860 d. 6-2 1881 (obit, Greenwood Cemetery)

Clara H. b. c1862 (twin of Adolph?) 1880 census, 1891 bio m. James Rowe

Adolph Theodore b. 11-20-1862 1880 & 1905 census, 1891 bio m. 1886 Mary Francis

Augusta   b. c1864 1891 bio m. Albert Huggert

Emilie   b.11-1-1865 d. Oct 1872 (Greenwood Cemetery)

August A. b. c1868 1880 census (not in 1891 bio, died prior?)

Laura D. b. c1869 1880 census 1891 bio

Millie A. b. c1871 1880 census 1891 bio

Nellie M. b. c1873 1880 census 1891 bio

Fernando Woodman b. c 1876 1880 census 1891 bio m. 1906 Hannah M. Thompson

Georgiann E. b. c1877 1880 census 1891 bio

Birdie b. c1878 1880 & 1905 census 1891 bio

W. Lee b. c1881 (not on 1880 census) 1891 bio

Sadie b. c1884 1905 census 1891 bio

Frankie b. c1889 1905 census 1891 bio

May 15, 1905 : F. W. Anderson and wife were over Sunday visitors at Elmer Binning's.

Mesdames K. Anderson , Haglund, O. Varney, Warner and Arnold were entertained at Mrs. Lovina Warner's Saturday afternoon.


Isabelle Burch

Isabelle Burch, mother of Thea Anderson.

Jan 25, 1906 : Word was received Saturday noon that Grandma Burch (1811-1906, widow of Torger Burch, parents of Thea Burch Anderson, Ed T. Burch, 1848-1912, Greenwood merchant, and Mrs. Strand) had died that morning at the home of her son-in-law, Ed. Strand, near Blair. Mr. and Mrs. E. T. Burch and Edna and Mrs. Thea (nee Burch) Anderson left Monday morning to be present at the funeral. Deceased was 95 years old last Sept. 30 and up to about ten years ago was a rugged woman. At that time she sustained a stroke of paralysis on the right side, but from which she partially recovered. During the past year she has failed quite fast so that her mind weakened and dwelt almost wholly on things of the long ago. Her son E. T. Burch was down to see her only a few weeks ago and found her as well as she had been during the past year. For some eighteen years Grandma made her home with her son in Greenwood, but for the past seven years has resided with her daughter, Mrs. Strand at Blair, this daughter dying during the past summer.

Feb 15, 1906 : Mrs. K. Anderson visited Mrs. Hans Nelson Monday

Mar 1906 : F. W. Anderson and Maggie Thompson visited Mrs. K. Anderson Sunday.

Mar 8, 1906 : Birdine Anderson , who has been visiting her sister, Mrs. Bond at Mondovi, returned to her home the first of last week.

ANDERSON , Fernando Woodman marriage 9 April 1906

Fernando Woodman Anderson and Miss Hannah Margaret Thompson have formed a merger of names and interests. In other words these two estimable young people have been made husband and wife. The happy ceremony making them such took place at the home of the bride's parents, Mr. and Mrs. E. H. Thompson, April 9. With the exception of a year or so spent away at school and at work, the groom has spent his life so far in and near Greenwood, being the son of Mrs. Thea Anderson. The bride has lived for the past fifteen years in Greenwood and is a graduate of the Greenwood High School. Mr. Anderson is bookkeeper for the Farmers Co-operative Supply Co., which position he has held, with the exception of part of the first year, ever since the store was started in 1899. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have rented rooms with Mrs. Cynthia Varney, where their friends will find them settled down like regular old married folks.

Greenwood High School CLASS OF 1898 (photo)
Back row L-R: Mabel VARNEY, Hugh MEEKS, Birdine ANDERSON , Eva MILLER,
Ferdinand WOLLENBERG. Front row L-R: Philo MEAD, Gertie MILLER, Faye HUNT.

HIGH SCHOOL CLASS OF 1899 (class reunion)

Birdie Anderson (lives on claim), Conrad, MT; Mabel Rossman (teacher), Duluth, MN; Margaret Thompson (Mrs. F. W. Anderson), Chippewa Falls, WI; Fay Hunt (Mrs. C. H. Brown), Loyal, WI; Ferdinard Wollenburg (farmer), Hartline, WA; Sena Hanson, Greenwood, WI; Hugh Meeks (conductor, Soo Line), Stevens Point, WI; Alice Miller (Mrs. J. Blanchard); Ross Miller; Birdie Miller,


ANDERSON , Theodore Adolph  (20 Nov 1862 - ?)

Theodore A. Anderson, a general merchant of Greenwood, was born near Taylor's Station, Jackson Co, Wis., Nov 20 1862, the son of Knud Anderson, a native of Norway, but now of Hemlock, Clark Co, Wis. He came with his parents to the United States when fifteen years of age, and settled at Racine, Wis. He was a pioneer of Jackson Co, having settled among Indians and wild animals. He removed to this county in 1870, settling in Beaver Township, Clark Co, in the thick of the woods. Theodore worked in the woods and saw-mills several years, and also in driving logs in Black River. He came to Greenwood in 1881, where he clerked in a store seven years. In 1888 he engaged in business for himself at Hemlock , but in May 1890, removed his stock of goods to Greenwood, where he carries a full line of groceries, dry goods, boots, shoes, hats, caps, etc. He has a capital stock of $2,000, his annual sales amounting to $6,000, which is rapidly increasing. Mr. Anderson was married July 1 1886 to Mary Francis , daughter of John Francis, of this township. They have one child, George M. , born March 25, 1887. Mr. Anderson was School Treasurer of Warner Township one year. "Biographical History of Clark Jackson Counties, WI" 1891

ANDERSON , Martin family, Warner township

ANDERSON , Martin (c1870 - ?)

1905 #55 Anderson, Martin Head W M 35 M Wisconsin Norway Farmer 10 O M F Martha Wife W F 28 M Wisconsin Norway House Keeper Bernard Son W M 8 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Mabel Daughter W F 6 S Wisconsin Wisconsin Grace Daughter W F 3 S Wisconsin Wisconsin

Nothing further found in Clark Co records on this family. There is a Bernard Anderson on later Beaver Township plat maps but nothing to tie him to this family. The same is true of a Mabel Anderson who was a teacher in Green Grove township.

ANDERSON , Otto family, Warner township

ANDERSON, Otto (c1865 - ?)

1905 #5 Anderson, Otto Head W M 40 M Sweden Sweden Farmer 12 O M F Wendla Wife W F 34 M Sweden Sweden House Keeper Leroy Son W M 4/12 M Wisconsin Sweden

1906 sec 14 residence Otto Anderson (1915 = August Behrens prop.)

May 15, 1905 : Mrs. Otto Anderson visited Mrs. Haglund Monday afternoon.

Jan 4, 1906 : The following young people attended the dance at Christie Monday evening: Mr. and Mrs. Otto Anderson , Misses Lottie Larson, Olive Hansen, Alta Booth, Pearl Shanks, Messrs. Philo Mead, Harry Hartson, Will Oelig, Homer Rand, Walter Stabnaw and C. P. Brick.

Feb 1906 : Mr. and Mrs. Otto Anderson and Philo Mead spent Sunday with Longwood relatives. (No relationship found between this Anderson family and that of the Mead family)

ANDERSON , Peter family Warner township

1875 census: Anderson, Peter , 4 males, 3 females

  1905 #77 Anderson, Peter Head W M 79 Widower Norway Norway

  1880 sec 28 no residence Peter Anderson (sec 28 west of the river)

1893 sec 28 no residence P. Anderson (1906 = Henry Niemond prop)

ANDERSON , Peter (6 Feb 1826 - 4 Sept 1916)

The 1905 census has Peter Anderson as residence #77 and Simon Severson (the nephew where he died) as residence #76 . Perhaps there was a small house on the Severson property that Anderson lived in so it was counted as an individual residence. The 1905 census also has Peter Anderson as a widower. Peter Anderson could have been widowed in Norway as he would have been about age 50 in 1875. The 1875 census has 3 males and 3 females in addition to Peter Anderson. These could have been Peter's Severson and perhaps Larson and Johnson relations who might have lived together when Peter first came over from Norway.

The Greenwood cemetery has two Peter Anderson entries. Peter Anderson b. 2-6-1826, d. 9-4-1916 (age 90 at death) with a notation stone d. month is May for tombstone and  (no record at court house?)

The second Greenwood cemetery entry has a Peter Anderson dying in 1919 (no month or day) with no birthdate. The reference to this entry is  (courthouse? evidently no tombstone) . The notes for this entry: "Old Bear Pete" b. in Norway, brother of Mrs. Martin Johnson . (Martin "Morton" Johnson b. 7-8-1861, d. 6-10-1956, was married to Kari M. Anderson , b. 12-3-1841, d. 10-31-1929)

The following "Hub" article has "Old Bear Pete" dying in May 1915 at the home of his nephew Sam (Simon) Severson. More than likely Old Bear Pete's death was in May 1916 as per the tombstone, and the "brother of Mrs. Kari Anderson" note was attached to the wrong Peter Anderson in the Greenwood cemetery index. (I could find no info on a Peter Anderson who died in 1919.)

"... Pete Anderson , a bachelor, who had been the servant of a Norwegian prince, came to Greenwood in 1875. He had a fight with a bear while in Norway, and had killed the bear with his only weapons, a jack-knife and his fists, but was about as badly used up as the bear and was terribly scarred. From this he was nicknamed "Old Bear Pete"."

He obtained a piece of land west of the river and in 1876 proceeded to build a log home. He built his house and had logs rolled up for a barn, when he, went out one morning to work while his coffee boiled. He was sawing the logs out to -make a doorway, when one fell, striking and breaking his leg, and he alone with only a trail past his place with few passersby! Charles Varney (1865-1940, family lived in sec 20 in 1873) , then a young lad, passed near enough to hear his cries for help, but not understanding the call, was afraid to answer, so "Old Bear Pete" lay on the ground all day. That evening when Annie Guldbrand (No info on a Guldbrand family. Perhaps this was some who came from Guldbrandalen, Norway, where Peter and his sister Kari nee Anderson Johnson were from.) , a neighbor, was out looking for her cow she heard someone calling and told her husband to go and see if something wrong with Pete, which he did and found him lying on the ground not far from where he had fallen.

He recovered from this, too, and was able to finish his barn, clear his land, grub out the stumps, make maple sugar, and perform all the numerous duties of a pioneer, though always very lame. He even entertained company, and one time (Dorrence Bailey 1858 – 1891, killed by lightening) Dorry Bailey (who had a habit of tasting everything he saw) picked up a chunk of maple sugar and ate it, which "Old Bear Pete" had been sucking on for a week. As Pete grew old he lived with his nephew Sam Severson (1863 " 1922, lived sec 36) where he would take a chair to the woods in which to sit and chop down trees and saw them into wood. He died at Severson's in May 1915...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)

ANDERSON , J. family of Warner township

1906 sec 2 residence J. Anderson (1893 = W.H.Mead) (1915 = Otto Meinhardt)

This was the Gordee farm (also see Alperstette) in 1903 when Moritz and Caroline nee Horn Meinhardt first rented it and then purchased it in 1905. Otto Meinhardt was born on that farm in 1904. All of the "J. Anderson or Andersen" families lived near Withee or Owen, there are no records showing that they or any other Anderson/Andersen family lived on this property. Evidently the plat map was not correct as to ownership as early as 1903.

ANDREWS family, Warner township

  1880 sec19, 29, 30, 34 no residences G. C. Andrews, sec 35 residence G. C. Andrews

1893 sec 34, 35 no residence G. C. Andrews ; 1906 sec 35 no residence S. Andrews

1906 sec 24 no residence B. Andrews

  ANDREWS , George Columbus (3 Dec 1830 - 28 June 1902)

George C. Andrews, one of the early settlers of Greenwood and Eaton Township, was born at Smith's Falls, Ont., Dec. 3, 1830, son of Elkanah and Elizabeth (Hutton) Andrews. The parents were natives of New York State, they rmoved at a very early day to Canada, in which country they passed the rest of their lives. George C. Andrews acquired his education at Smith's Falls. When only 15 years of age he started to learn the blacksmith's trade, serving three years as an apprentice at $25 a year.

Isabelle Burch's [Memories] of George Andrew's Blacksmith Shop.

  At the end of that period he went to Rawdon, Canada, where he established himself in business, and while there, on Oct. 11, 1854, he was united in marriage with Lorinda Chamberlain , a native of New York State. For several years, he and his wife resided in Rawdon, and there seven children were born to them. In 1856, Mr. Andrews made a trip to the United States, remaining six months. Then returning to Canada, he resumed his trade and business, which he followed there until 1871. He then came again to the United States, bringing his family with him, and settling in Greenwood, Eaton Township, Clark Co, Wis. which village at that time contained only two stores and a hotel. Here Mr. Andrews set up a blacksmith shop, becoming the village smith. Six days a week he could always be found at his forge or anvil, and on Sunday he supplied the pulpit, being the first local Methodist preacher in Greenwood. He also purchased forty acres of land in Section 35, Warner Township, besides quite a quantity of other wild land. After a residence of over thirty years in Greenwood, he died, June 28, 1902. Mrs. Andrews, the wife and mother, (Lorrinda, born 1836 ) died July 6, 1897. They were the parents of ten children, seven of whom were, as previously stated, born in Canada. Of these two died in infancy. A brief record of the children, including the three born in Greenwood, is as follows: Mary Elizabeth , now Mrs. Erastus Bowen, of Greenwood; Harriet Angelia , widow of Dr. H. J. Thomas, of Chicago; James S., of Eaton Township, Clark Co; George B., who died in Iowa, April 8, 1917; Florence , now Mrs. Ralph Hall, of Chicago; the two who died in infancy in Canada, where all the above mentioned were born: Effie B ., now Mrs. Arthur Cadmen, of Fairchild, Wis.; Lillie , who is unmarried, and lives in Chicago, and Ella , who died at the age of 2 years. Both Mr. and Mrs. Andrews were loyal and highly esteemed members of the Methodist Episcopal Church . 1918 History of Clark Co.

  "...In 1871 S. C. Honeywell had the first blacksmith shop on the corner east of Ludwig's store. G. C. Andrews assisted him and received seventy-five dollars a month for his work. His family lived in the back room of S. C. Honeywell's warehouse, the building now occupied by Ed Schwarze. In the spring "Uncle George", as everyone called him, bought the corner lot and built the house now occupied by Millie Smith. It was in this house that he and his family lived as long as they were in Greenwood. His wife, Lorinda, loved flowers and had all kinds in her yard with tall hollyhocks along the picket fence. Her yard, with its beautiful flowers, was the show place of the town. Uncle George built an addition to the blacksmith shop and put in an ox-frame where he shod as many as fifty yoke of oxen in one year. When oxen were to be shod they were led into a stall for this work. There they were raised in a sling until their feet were off the ground. Then their feet were placed on a board rest and fastened with a clevis to hold them, for they kicked like blazes. Henry Schwarze, father of Simon Schwarze, our present Marshal, did the carpenter work on Uncle George's shop. About 1878, Uncle George built a new shop, now Ludwig's store. This was a two-story building with lodge rooms above and shop below. He ran the shop for many years. Later it was conducted by John Lucas and son. Finally in 1902 it was-used as a printing office... "

  "... George C. Andrews was another interesting character, who was a blacksmith and local preacher. He worked many nights until after midnight. In an old record book under the date of December 3, 1880, he recorded that he had earned nine dollars that evening, and in 1889 eight dollars and forty cents one evening, several years he had shod as high as fifty yoke of oxen during the winter season. He would work hard all the week and on Sundays walk to Hemlock, Longwood, Christie or LaTart to preach the gospel which he believed and loved, without remuneration. "Uncle George" as a preacher was especially gifted and the people delighted to hear him. Whether he preached or addressed the annual memorial service or other public gatherings, nearly every early settler was indebted to him, for he had been in their homes on festive occasions, when some member of the family was joyously entering into wedded life, or prayed with them when they mourned and were comfortless... "

"...The story is told of George Andrews having a very promising patch of corn, about where Charles Varney's house now stands, and Mr. Schofield owning a beautiful herd of steers. While seeking new pastures, they found Mr. Andrews' corn. George drove them out and the herd of aforesaid "beautiful steers" gathered on the east span (of the bridge) , stamping and chasing flies; all went down. One of the steers so badly injured it's spine that it had to be killed. This part of the river crossing was never rebuilt...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)

ANDREWS , Mary E. marriage 4 Jan 1881

Married, Jan. 4th, 1881, at the residence of G. C. Andrews in the village of Greenwood, Clark Co, by Rev. C.C. Swartz, Mr. Erastus Bowen , of Columbus, Wis. to Miss Mary E . Andrews of Greenwood. (Daughter of G. C. Andrews)

Jan 29, 1900 : Numerous reports were flying about Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning to the effect that Rev. G. C. Andrews and James Whitmore were dying and dead, but they were almost without foundation, except that the latter has been quite ill, and Uncle George has been confined to the house for a few days. Such reports show how easy it is for anything of a sensational nature to be enlarged and exaggerated. Greenwood Gleaner

  ANDREWS , George B. (9 Aug 1866- 8 April 1917)

The many Greenwood and Longwood friends of G. B. Andrews were shocked and saddened to learn of his death the 8th of April, 1917 at Knoxville, Iowa. Mr. Andrews had been suffering for some time with Anemia, but his condition had steadily improved until it received a set back by an attack of pneumonia and jaundice. Ben , as he was known everywhere, was born near Sterling, Ontario, Aug. 9, 1866. He was the son of G. C. and Lorinda Andrews. He came to Greenwood, Clark Co at the age of five years and had resided here and at Longwood until the spring of 1912. For twenty-five years he was proprietor of a general store at Longwood. He was married in 1892 to Miss Lizzie Leonard of Knoxville, Iowa. They have one daughter, Clella, now a teacher in the High School at Storm Lake, Iowa. After the destruction of his Longwood store by fire (in 1912) , Mr. Andrews moved to Knoxville, Iowa. Here he purchased the Leonard farm, which he managed until the time of his death.

ANDREWS , James Sheldon (14 May 1863 -21 Mar 1941)

James Sheldon Andrews, son of George C. and Lorinda Chamberlain Andrews, was born in Sterling, Ontario, Canada May 14, 1863 and died in Clark Co Hospital at Owen, Wis. March 21, 1941 at rest after 13 years of unrest. At the age of eight he came to Greenwood with his parents, where he has lived continuously with the exception of ten years spent in Minnesota and Idaho. He was married Sept. 16, 1896 to Essyleth Cook of Greenwood. Mr. Andrews owned and operated a farm in Greenwood for many years. He sold the farm and purchased a residence in the city in 1919. “Shell” as he was known to his many friends was a good citizen in every sense of the word. He leaves to mourn his loss, his widow and three sisters, Mrs. Florence Hall and Miss Lillian Andrews of Chicago and Walworth, Wis. Mrs. Arthur Cadman of Fairchild, Wis and one niece, Mrs. L.D. Teter of Knoxville, Iowa. Memorial services were conducted from the Stabnow Funeral Home, interment was made in the Greenwood Cemetery. Those from away who attended the funeral were Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Cactman of Fairchild Mrs. Florence Hall and Miss Lillian Andrews of Chicago and Warner Cook of Jamestown, N.D.

James Andrews Barn

Pictured above is the round barn built by James Sheldon Andrews.

J. S. Andrews, proprietor of an eighty-acre farm in Section 35, Warner Township, was born in Ontario, Canada, May 14, 1863. His father, George C. Andrews, was a blacksmith, born and reared in Canada, came to the United States with his parent when only 8 years old, and received his education in the public school of Greenwood. J. S. Andrews began working out on farms and in the woods at the age of 18 years. When he was 24 he went to Ottertail County, Minn., where, to invest his savings, he bought a piece of wild land, and also took up a homestead of 160 acres. Building a shack, he cleared some of his land and did some farming, remaining there three years. He then went to Idaho, where he stayed about a year, living for the most part in the vicinity of Cordlane. Then returning to Wisconsin, Mr. Andrews operated his father's farm of forty acres in Section 35 for a number of years. In 1896, in the month of October, he was married to Essylath Cook , whose father, Dan Cook, was a farmer who had come to Wisconsin from Canada. Her mother's maiden name was Phoebe Anne Hubbel. After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. Andrews settled on his farm, where they stayed four years. He then bought eighty acres in Section 35, Warner Township. The tract was covered with timber, and there was no road to the land, there being only a turnpike from Neillsville to two miles north of Greenwood, all other so-called roads being merely trails. On this land he built an eight-room house and a frame barn, which latter he has since replaced with a new and modern round barn. He has chopped off sixty acres of his land, and now has thirty-seven under plow. He also raises Holstein cattle and is conducting a successful business as a farmer. HISTORY OF CLARK COUNTY 1918

ANDREWS , Steve M. (14 June 1828 - 14 Sept 1901)

Steven M. Andrews died at his home after a gradual failing as a result of asthma with which he had suffered for years. To the end he was cheerful and enjoyed seeing any who called on him, though at times he was so weak that it was impossible to say more than a few words without exhaustion. "Uncle Steve," as deceased was known to nearly every body in this part of the county, was born (of Elkanah and Elizabeth nee Hutton Andrews) near Ottawa, Canada, on June 14, 1828. In 1868 he came with his family to Wisconsin, settling for two years in Juneau county from which he came to Greenwood and located, his house being the first built in the town. Here he has been chiefly engaged in farming. On September 2, 1851, Mr. Andrews was married to Miss Harriet Campbell and to his worthy couple were born ten children, eight of whom live to mourn, with their mother the loss. Besides these deceased leaves a sister, "Aunt Jane" Edmonds and two brothers , " Uncle George," also of this place and a brother living in Colorado. The funeral occurred from the M.E. church. At the grave the exercises were conducted by the Odd Fellows to which order deceased belonged. All the children were present at the funeral, though Mrs. Dudley Andrews of Tomahawk was unable to be present on account of sickness at home.

ARCHAMBAULT family, Warner township

1875 census: Archambeault, Paul ; 1 male, 2 female

  Probate records: Archambault , Xavier 13327 18 27

2-24- 1887 : Cas. Archambault , of Withee, came up to visit his wife on Saturday, returning to his camp on Monday.

   ARCHAMBAULT , Ethel G. marriage  22 Nov 1920

Miss Ethel Genevieve Archambault of Phillips and Mr. Wm. B. Spellman of Colby, Wis., were united in marriage at St. Patrick's Catholic Church at Phillips. They were attended by the bride's sister, Miss Geraldine Archambault of Stevens Point, and the groom's brother, Peter Spellman of Milwaukee. Following the ceremony a wedding dinner was served at the home of the bride's parents. Mr. and Mrs. Spellman will make their home with the groom's parents, Mr. and Mrs. T. Spellman until the first of the year, when they expect to leave for Chicago. COLBY PHONOGRAPH (Colby, Wis.)

ARMSTRONG family, Warner township

1880 sec 35 residence Julia Armstrong (Julia, wife of Wlm J. died in 1881; 1893 = Jas Bryden property)

ARMSTRONG , William J. (23 Feb 1835 - ?)

Armstrong, W. J., contractor and jobber, Greenwood was born in Erie Co., Penn., Feb. 23, 1835. At an early age, moved to Milwaukee, where he went to school. The next move was to Green Bay, Brown Co, where he remained till 1849. Then he moved to Appleton where he was employed in laying plank road, and in 1852, he arrived in LaCrosse, but found that the Indians had small-pox. He started to do lumbering on the Black River, and has been in the woods since his father died in California in 1856, and he was the support of the family from that time. He located on the farm where he now lives, in 1875, just out of Greenwood, on Sec. 35 (Warner township) . He married , in 1856, Miss Julia M. Smith of LaCrosse Co. They have four children Addie , now Mrs. J. Broiden (Bryden) , Allen (A. S.) , Charles (on 1900 Hixon census and Wood Co. burials) and Edith (nothing further found on Edith) . Mr. A. has served as Town Clerk and Justice of the Peace belongs to the Good Templars, and the Temple of Honor. In 1864, enlisted in 53rd Wis. V., and was mustered out in September 1865. 1881 HISTORY OF NORTHERN WI

November 20, 1975 : Wm. J. Armstrong , familiarly called Bill," will soon open a new hotel at Greenwood, where he intends to extend a welcome to all weary pilgrims. Mr. Armstrong does not intend to be out done by any person in the matter of keeping a hotel, and from our knowledge of that gentleman we can cheerfully recommend him to the traveling public as a safe and agreeable host. He will be thoroughly prepared to entertain and provide for all who may be called to that locality, whether fine-haired or otherwise, and none need hesitate to give him a call. Welcome All: To the citizens of Clark County and to the traveling public generally, I would respectfully announce that I shall open a new and convenient hotel in the village of Greenwood on Monday, Nov. 22nd, and that I shall be prepared to furnish as good accommodations for both man and beast as can be found in Clark County. A share of public patronage respectfully solicited. Wm. J. Armstrong. Clark County Republican & Press

".. William Armstrong, father of Al Armstrong , owned and operated the farm joining the John Stafford farm on the north. The first house on the place was just east of those pines we see along the highway; later James Bryden, a son-in-law of Mr. Armstrong, bought the farm and built the present house ...." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)

October 1880 : Justice Armstrong has a great bear suit in his court today. Two parties of the Greenwood vicinity each claim to have killed the same bear and have resorted to court to find out who really did kill the bear. The bear certainly is dead, for his hide sold for six dollars.

November 24, 1881 : Mrs. W. J. Armstrong is slowly recovering from her severe illness. ( Julia nee Smith , died 18 Dec 1881, buried Greenwood cemetery, no birth date listed.)

  August 18, 1882 : Mr. W. J. Armstrong gave a large dinner party today. Many were the guests and well laden were the tables with all the market affords. A pleasant time was enjoyed and all went away feeling glad that they had been there and Doc was more smiling than the rest because he bore away a sunflower bouquet. Gracious!

October 24, 1882 : Greenwood: Logging prospects are booming this way; some of those in this vicinity who have heavy contracts for the coming winter: W. J. Armstrong , Thompson & Root, Philip Rossman, S. M. Andrews, Jas. Bryden, Andrew Emerson, and Robert Schofield.

  January 25, 1883 : W. J. Armstrong lost a very valuable horse, last week, by lung disease. The horse, as is generally the case, was one of the best he owned, and is a serious loss at this season of the year. The Clark Republican and Press

  ARMSTRONG , W. J. marriage 14 June 1883

At Milwaukee, Wis., June 14, 1883, married by Rev. Heaslett, William J. Armstrong to Minna Mowry , both of Greenwood, Clark Co, Wis. Mr. Armstrong is well known as an extensive lumberman and prominent citizen of Clark Co. Mrs. Armstrong formerly resided in Loyal, but lately at Greenwood. ( Clark Co marriages has W.J. Armstrong and Manise Goodale marrying on June 14, 1883. Nothing else found on this Mowry or Goodale marriage.)

 ARMSTRONG , Ada marriage - 24 May 1881

 Married, May 24, 1881, at the residence of the bride's parents (Wlm J. and Julia nee Smith Armstrong) , Greenwood, Wis, James Bryden to Miss Ada Armstrong , both of Greenwood, Clark Co, Wis. (Ada Armstrong Bryden 1858-1944)

  1895 census, head of family: A. S. Armstrong 1 male

  1906 sec 4 residence A. S. Armstrong ; sec 11 no residence A. S. Armstrong ; sec 12 residence Armstrong & Peterson

  ARMSTRONG , Allen S. (1861 - 24 Jan 1946)

A.S. ARMSTRONG was born in La Crosse and came to Clark Co with his parents in 1870, settling at Neillsville. Mr. Armstrong relates his early experiences as follows: "We later moved to the forty-acre farm of Gile Holway, two miles north of Loyal. When 19 years old I ran a camp in the woods and for eighteen years handled logs on the Black and Chippewa rivers. For thirteen years I had charge of the Hemlock Dam as foreman. We used to run on an average of 1,000,000 feet an hour through the dam in the spring and summer. This dam was built in the summer of 1879 . I was with the Black River Improvement Co., who discontinued work in 1905. Our logs of hemlock and pine all went down the Black River by way of the Dells Dam to La Crosse.

  My mother and her sister came into this county in the winter of 1855 from Halfway Creek, near La Crosse, and cooked in the logging camp of her brother-in-law, Abner Gile on Gile's Creek, three miles north of Greenwood. I came to Greenwood in 1875 and lived on my father's (William J. Armstrong) farm, which is now in the city limits. At that time there were three stores, four saloons, and one blacksmith's shop. The second schoolhouse then stood on the corner where the Greenwood State Bank now stands. Father used to bring all supplies by wagon from Sparta, while mother was cooking in the camp. During my days we freighted our supplies from Hatfield, Jackson Co, and the stage brought mail and passengers from Black River Falls. This town was a rough place. The loggers would come in, spend their money for whiskey, get drunk and fight, and many times they tore up the sidewalks. In 1885 a creamery was started here, but failed. They later tried it again, but failed for want of cows. I ran a store and post office at Hemlock for two years, and also ran the sawmill, but the flood of 1914 took the dam and gristmill and sawmill out." History

  ARMSTRONG , Allen S. marriage - 1 July 1884

At Greenwood, on July 1, Allen S. Armstrong to Miss Clara A. Mead , both of Greenwood. Both of the above parties are well known in this vicinity of Greenwood. Mr. Armstrong is a son of Wm. Armstrong, formerly a prominent lumbermen, and farmer of that place. Mrs. Armstrong is a daughter of Harry Mead, of Longwood, well known as one of the most prominent farmers and lumbermen of the county. During the last year Mrs. Armstrong has been a teacher in the public schools. (Nothing more found on Clara, no obit or cemetery info. Allen Armstrong next married Stionia Limprecht on 10 July 1898.)

  ... Harry and Julia (Mead) had seven children, six of whom lived to adulthood: Frank A., Clara, Helen, Harry, Angus and Philo. Clara married Allen Armstrong, of Greenwood and has two children, Glen and Margery. Frank is an express messenger on the O. R. N. Railroad in Oregon.... Mead township history (Nothing more found on Glen and Margery Armstrong)

ARMSTRONG , Sitonia nee Limprecht (28 Jan 1879- 2 Feb 1972)

Mrs. Sitonia Tony" Armstrong, 93, of Abbotsford, Clark Co, died Feb. 2, 1972, at the Marshfield Convalescent Center, where she had resided the past several years. Services were held at the Lulloff Funeral Home, pastor of the First Presbyterian Church officiating with burial in the Greenwood Cemetery at Greenwood. The former Sitonia Limprecht was born (to Fred, Sr and Sidonia Seidel Limprecht) Jan. 28, 1879, in Greenwood, and was married there July 10, 1898 to Allen Armstrong (as his second wife) , who preceded her in death in January of 1946. The couple resided in Clark Co and in later years she had made her home in Abbotsford. In addition to her husband, she was preceded in death by a son, Donald (b. 19 Aug 1904, d. 31 Aug 1968, lived Abbotsford in 1947) a sister and three brothers.

  1905 plat book patrons: Armstrong, A. S., Livery, Greenwood.

  December 27, 1906 : A. S. Armstrong has added a new surrey box sleigh to his livery equipment, which makes a swell rig. It has springs under the box as well as in the cushions, making it like riding in a sofa cushioned rocker. Al has good reason to be proud of it. Deputy Sheriff R. M. Campbell of Neillsville was in town last week serving papers on officers of the Greenwood Telephone Company in proceedings brought by A. S. Armstrong demanding $6,500 damages for disconnecting him from the exchange. The company states that the connection was severed because Mr. Armstrong was in arrears to them for service. The officers took this means of pushing a settlement. It is said Mr. Armstrong is backed by outside interests.

  "...In early days before autos there was a necessity for livery stables. The present Opera House was once a livery stable located where Dr. Austin's home is now . A. S. Armstrong ran a livery stable in the building now Arbs' garage and later in the barn on the lot where he now lives. Chris Brick, Julius Dill, Roy Tuttle and old John Stafford were also proprietors of livery stables..." The Hub of Clark County (1853 - 1934)

  April 5, 1906 : Mrs. Anna Colby (nee Limprecht 1875 - 1912) and children moved down from Reseberg last week and will stop for the present with her sister, Mrs. A. S. Armstrong . Later she expects to go to Chicago. Her farm is rented to her brother-in-law, one of the Colby boys. Greenwood Gleaner  

July 1930 : Distribution of $30,000 collected for depositors and creditors of the Greenwood State Bank, which was closed seven years ago after the cashier (Edward F. Wollenberg 26 Sept 1873 - 17 Sept 1917) had committed suicide (shot himself the day the bank was siezed in 1917) , was ordered Tuesday in circuit court. Judge E. W. Crosby responded to a motion by A. L. Devos, representing the firm of Rush and Devos. The bank, which has been in charge of the state banking commission since its doors were closed, has paid back approximately 50% of its liabilities. (Among those left desitute by the bank failure was the Presbyterian Minister's widow, Mrs. W. T. Hendren. She was granted a lifetime annuity of $300 per year by the church board in Jan. 1924) With the order issued Tuesday, the affairs of the institution are virtually closed with exception of a few minor details. The sale of assets (Wollenberg's widow Fannie lost her home and property to the bank commission in July 1925) at an auction recently, were confirmed by Judge Crosby. Judge Crosby also ordered that A. S. Armstrong , special deputy banking commissioner, be discharged from his duties. Armstrong had been making collections and now, with the work being so nearly competed, the remaining amounts will be collected by Attorneys Rush and Devos. (The FDIC, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp, was formed in 1933 to protect bank deposits up to a certain amount.)

  ARNOLD family, Warner township

  1880 sec 22 no residence W. C. Arnold

1905 #144 Arnold, Clifford Head W M 26 S Wisconsin New York Farm Laborer 10 Rental H Arnold, Stephen Brother W M 19 S Wisconsin New York Farm Laborer 10

ARNOLD , Kate nee Warner (1886- 16 May 1923)

Funeral services were held in the Mabton Methodist Chruch for Mrs. S. L. Arnold, who died in Aspen Colo. Interment was in the Mabton Cemetery. Kate Warner was born in 1886 in Greenwood, Clark Co, Wis., where she grew to womanhood. She died at Aspen, Col., May 16, 1923, at the age of 36 years, 7 months and 2 days. She was married to Stephen L. Arnold in 1906. They moved to Colorado in 1908. To this union were born three children, Kenneth , aged 16, Harold , aged 14 and Mildred , aged 12. She leaves to mourn her loss, besides her husband and children, her father and mother, four sisters and two brothers, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Warner of Mabton, Mrs. A.C. Presson of Buena, Mrs. J.C. Dunnington of Toppenish, Mrs. G. D. Copeland of Prosser, Mrs. W.R. Crawford of Rimrock and Austin and Lester Warner of Mabton. (Mabton, Wash. Chronicle).






© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.


Show your appreciation of this freely provided information by not copying it to any other site without our permission.


Become a Clark County History Buff


Report Broken Links

A site created and maintained by the Clark County History Buffs
and supported by your generous donations.


Webmasters: Leon Konieczny, Tanya Paschke,

Janet & Stan Schwarze, James W. Sternitzky,

Crystal Wendt & Al Wessel