Section 20, Weston Twp., Clark Co., Wisconsin
1926 Weston Twp. Plat Map, Sec. 20 (above)
(Photo not yet available)
FAIRVIEW SCHOOL---An 89 year-old school in Clark County, which glows with the warmth of tradition, is Fairview School in the town of Weston. Erected in 1873, the school has been joined in the Neillsville district, but remains in operation with a current attendance of 28 students.
RECORDS TELL HISTORY OF FAIRVIEW SCHOOL
Neillsville--An 89 year-old rural school, in the town of Weston in Clark County, is in operation as part of the recently consolidated Neillsville High School District with 28 students. The teacher is Mrs. Oluf (Della) Botnen of Neillsville.
Like most one-room rural schools, Fairview will be closed shortly as the slow, but sure progress of "the march of time" assembles all rural students in cities and villages.
From records made accessible to the pupils, it has been disclosed that $110 was raised in 1873 to erect Fairview School in District 5, Weston, about eight miles northwest of Neillsville.
The wooden structure was completed during the summer of 1873 and the first session of the school was held in September of that year. Records show that William Huntley, a name well known in Clark County, was the first school director.
In 1874 the district raised $179.60 for a foot-pumping organ and 4.70 for a desk globe and maps. An item of expense in 1876 was the purchase of a box of chalk for 35 cents. The woodshed, unknown to many modern-day school children, but in early days a building to house wood and discipline children, was erected for $10 in 1878. A general house cleaning of the school in 1878 cost $2 which was paid to Betsy Black.
Four dictionaries were purchased for the school in 1882 for a total of $2.25. A pail and dipper were purchased for 75 cents and remained in common use for 21 years, when a water cooler with a tap was purchased for $2.28 in 1910.
From actual records of the school, it was found the first teacher received $26 per month. The salary had increased to $1098.90 by 1932.
* * * * * * *
(Please contact us if you can provide a better photo)
In 1891, the wooden school building, originally erected for $110, was bricked at a cost of $64.35, with citrizens of the school district donating their services of unskilled labor. A heating system replaced the old type pot-bellied stove in 1909, when $60 was invested in a modern heating system of that day. This heating unit was said to have served the school until an oil-heating unit was installed five years ago.
School records of Fairview School show that $2.50 per year was paid to the school director starting in 1913. It lists other school board members as Albert Hemp, Richard Hagedorn (now living in Neillsville), William Kuhl, John Huntley, Ernest Henning, Herbert Schoenwetter, Herman Klamm, Herman hemp and HenryHeiman.
Records disclose that the early school was used for community church services in the early days, someting that was usually the case in pioneer areas. The first subjects taught in the school were reading, writing, arithmetic, history and spelling.
The following is a list of teachers of Fairview School still remembered by many Clark County people. Angie Neff, Charles Fuller, Edie harding, Gussie Drake, Maggie Ross, Ed Billings, Guy Edson, A. Stevens, Elsie Dodtke, Beilfuss (mother of Judge Bruse Beilfuss), Edna Klopf, Alvin Foster, Charley Meyer, Earl Marsh, Nora Glascow, Gertrude Walfort, Helen Hemp, Ell Schultz, Blanche Gates, Minnie Lindquist, Isadore Forman, Jeanette Daly, Ekllis Jackson, Elsie Henchen, Victoria Koeneazny, Ruby Evans, Viola Seif, Marvel Johnson, Helen Eisentraut, Virginia Gallagher, Freida Schroeder, Mabel Portz, (Mabel Gallagher), Evelyn Wetzel, (Evelyn Walk), Evelyn Eihlers, Willett Wood Heidemann.
According to the records peak enrollment at the school was 65 to 75 students.
Source: Marshfield News Herald Sept. 22, 1962 Page 3; transcribed by Ken Wood.
Return to the Weston Twp. Main site
© Every submission is protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998.